Sports Reference 12 Greatest Redskins in History

MKnight82

This is a pretty cool website if you've never looked at it.  They track pretty much every stat for any sport ever and they have some advanced metrics they calculate on their own, its all free too. 

They have a metric called AV, which stands for Approximate Value.  If you are a huge geek, you can read about how the AV was developed here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index37a8.html

And you can read exactly how they calculate it here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/indexd961.html?page_id=8061

Just know that players with longer careers definitely benefit from their formula than ones that had big impact careers that were much shorter.  

The Top 12 Greatest Redskins of All Time (Only Players after 1960 were Considered)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/#site_menu_link

#12 OG Russ Grimm - 90 AV

GrimRu00.jpg

#11 RB Larry Brown - 91 AV

BrowLa01.jpg

#10 DE Charles Mann - 95 AV

MannCh00.jpg

#9 OT Joe Jacoby - 103 AV

JacoJo00.jpg

#8 QB Sonny Jurgensen - 103 AV

JurgSo00.jpg

#7 QB Joe Theismann - 105 AV

TheiJo00.jpg

#6 DT Dave Butz - 105 AV

ButzDa00.jpg

#5 OC Len Hauss - 110 AV

HausLe00.jpg

#4 WR Art Monk - 123 AV

MonkAr00.jpg

#3 HB Charlie Taylor - 125 AV

TaylCh00.jpg

#2 LBer Chris Hanburger - 126 AV

HanbCh00.jpg

#1 CB Darrell Green - 150 AV

GreeDa00.jpg

For reference, these are the highest AVs in NFL History according to the site:

Tom Brady - 236

Ray Lewis - 223

Brett Favre - 222

Peyton Manning - 219

Dan Marion - 216

Jerry Rice - 215

Bruce Matthews - 211

John Elway - 203

Bruce Smith - 196

Derrick Brooks - 194

Lawrence Taylor - 182

Anthony Munoz - 174

Drew Brees - 174

Walter Payton - 168

Carl Eller - 165

Junior Seau - 164

Phillip Rivers - 164

Emmitt Smith - 163

Dan Fouts - 162

Michael Strahan - 161

Marvin Harrison - 161

Ken Anderson - 161

Fran Tarkenton - 161

Merlin Olsen - 160

Will Shields - 159

Mike Singletary - 159

Steve Young - 158

Jim Marshall - 157

Ben Roethlisberger - 157

Reggie Wayne - 155

Alan Page - 155

Jim Otto - 154

Mike Webster - 152

Ronde Barber - 151

Gene Upshaw - 151

Barry Sanders - 150

Aaron Rodgers - 150

Brian Urlacher - 150

Those are the only players ranked higher than Darrell Green.  

Interesting!! So is this different than greatest redskins?  In my view Sonny was our best all time ( I wasn’t there when Baugh was playing back in the olden days lol). Guys like Riggins, Gary Clark, Jerry Smith, Dexter, Pat Fisher, I know we got him at the end but Kenny Houston, BMitch I think led the all time league in return yards, and of course Michael Westbrook and Heath Shuler lol lol 

3 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Interesting!! So is this different than greatest redskins?  In my view Sonny was our best all time ( I wasn’t there when Baugh was playing back in the olden days lol). Guys like Riggins, Gary Clark, Jerry Smith, Dexter, Pat Fisher, I know we got him at the end but Kenny Houston, BMitch I think led the all time league in return yards, and of course Michael Westbrook and Heath Shuler lol lol 

According to the site these are the greatest Redskins entire careers in history.  Some guys may of had bigger peaks but over their entire careers this is how they are ranked using their system.  

You can’t argue with any on the list only that the list should be longer and where they are positioned. Do we have any of the greatest Redskins ever since 2000?  I don’t think so and that’s very revealing as to why we have sucked so long. 

When I picture Sonny behind the Hogs or even our current OL I am sure he would have broken every passing record. He was old school- party all Saturday, have a shot on the way to the game then play fantastic. I’m glad Larry Brown made it! 

3 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

You can’t argue with any on the list only that the list should be longer and where they are positioned. Do we have any of the greatest Redskins ever since 2000?  I don’t think so and that’s very revealing as to why we have sucked so long. 

When I picture Sonny behind the Hogs or even our current OL I am sure he would have broken every passing record. He was old school- party all Saturday, have a shot on the way to the game then play fantastic. I’m glad Larry Brown made it! 

Not really.  Unless you want to count Champ Bailey.  

Champ Bailey - 151 AV

Santana Moss - 93 AV

Clinton Portis - 82 AV

Chris Samuels - 77 AV

Jon Jansen - 66 AV

Marcus Washington - 62 AV

Lavar Arrington - 51 AV

Most of these players played portions, or even large portions with other teams. 

Archived