Washington @ Baltimore preseason game 3: Discussion

aceinthehouse

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm still high on Howell, but I don't think we can justify moving on from Heinicke yet. 

I only suggested it because we could probably get a pick for him. Otherwise he probably walks away for nothing after this season. He’s certainly better than Mullens. 

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I only suggested it because we could probably get a pick for him. Otherwise he probably walks away for nothing after this season. He’s certainly better than Mullens. 

I don't know that we could do much better than what the Vikings gave away to be honest. We need him as a backup more than we need a 2024 6th or something I think. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, lavar703 said:

There’s no point in keeping Heinecke. Howell can do everything he can do but do it better. Nick Mullen was just traded for a 7th round pick. We really can’t get something for Heinecke? Like a 5th. 

We use 4 qbs every season.

Howell is a baller, but I think Howell has a long way to go as an nfl qb.  I think Howell would have gotten 8 sacks instead of 5 if he was playing against starters.  The play clock is way faster against full time starters and he doesn't understand how to get rid of the ball.

But if you are high on Howell, then should we be thinking lets keep Heinecke as he is the perfect backup to Howell?  Or are you just thinking Howell is a good long term backup?

18 minutes ago, offbyone said:

We use 4 qbs every season.

Howell is a baller, but I think Howell has a long way to go as an nfl qb.  I think Howell would have gotten 8 sacks instead of 5 if he was playing against starters.  The play clock is way faster against full time starters and he doesn't understand how to get rid of the ball.

But if you are high on Howell, then should we be thinking lets keep Heinecke as he is the perfect backup to Howell?  Or are you just thinking Howell is a good long term backup?

My perception of Howell is very biased since I've been watching him for so long. I feel like he has star potential and will be a great back up in the time being. I could be totally wrong on Howell, it would not be the first time lol. I mean, there's a reason he fell to the 5th round but I just think the league overthought it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

My perception of Howell is very biased since I've been watching him for so long. I feel like he has star potential and will be a great back up in the time being. I could be totally wrong on Howell, it would not be the first time lol. I mean, there's a reason he fell to the 5th round but I just think the league overthought it. 

I guess what I am saying the late round pick would not be worth it because either:

-we will need all 3 qbs like usual

-or if Howell really is a star, then Wentz is only here a year, you plan to start Howell and you keep Heinecke because he is literally the perfect backup to Howell

• Like 4

On 8/29/2022 at 2:12 PM, lavar703 said:

I’m with you. Usually if guys can play they are productive - at least to a certain extent - right away & then they can build off that. I mean we saw this with Kirk in 2012, Chase Daniel in 2010 who’s still in the league as a back up.

Howell just seems to have it, he’s at worst going to be a good career back up. I have no clue if Howell will develop enough as Kirk did to where he can be a good starter, but there is something there with him.

At this point he essentially looks like Heinicke with an NFL arm & if Heinicke had the arm that Howell has, he’d be our starter this year & we wouldnt have traded for Wentz. 

Edited by turtle28

On 8/29/2022 at 2:21 PM, offbyone said:

I guess what I am saying the late round pick would not be worth it because either:

-we will need all 3 qbs like usual

-or if Howell really is a star, then Wentz is only here a year, you plan to start Howell and you keep Heinecke because he is literally the perfect backup to Howell

I don’t think Howell has proven enough where he is making Wentz expendable. Now, that could change but a lot of things would have to happen during this season for that the change.

The most likely scenario for next years QB room is that Wentz is QB1 & Howell is QB2 IMO And we go with just 2 QBs or the 3rd guy is a late round pick/undrafted guy. 

I guess maybe Heinicke could be kept as QB 3 in that scenario but it would depend on his salary. At this point it’s pretty impossible to predict what will happen with our QB position next year which has been the story of our QB position since Kirk left.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Howell has proven enough where he is making Wentz expendable. Now, that could change but a lot of things would have to happen during this season for that the change.

The most likely scenario for next years QB room is that Wentz is QB1 & Howell is QB2 IMO And we go with just 2 QBs or the 3rd guy is a late round pick/undrafted guy. 

I guess maybe Heinicke could be kept as QB 3 in that scenario but it would depend on his salary. At this point it’s pretty impossible to predict what will happen with our QB position next year which has been the story of our QB position since Kirk left.

This is the likely outcome.  But in my book, Wentz has done nothing to prove he isn't expendable.  He needs to prove he is worth another year and it isn't just to me, clearly the front office thinks the same thing or they would have restructured his contract.  Wentz needs to be a top 15 qb minimum to keep his job next year.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, offbyone said:

This is the likely outcome.  But in my book, Wentz has done nothing to prove he isn't expendable.  He needs to prove he is worth another year and it isn't just to me, clearly the front office thinks the same thing or they would have restructured his contract.  Wentz needs to be a top 15 qb minimum to keep his job next year.  

Well of course but Wentz hasn’t even played a regular season game in a Commanders uniform yet. No one has said that Wentz has proven that he should be here long term yet. I think he’ll prove that, especially with the weapons he has at his disposal but of course we have to see it first.

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well of course but Wentz hasn’t even played a regular season game in a Commanders uniform yet. No one has said that Wentz has proven that he should be here long term yet. I think he’ll prove that, especially with the weapons he has at his disposal but of course we have to see it first.

Good enough to score 28 ppg? 

4 hours ago, DCNative said:

Good enough to score 28 ppg? 

Why does Carson Wentz alone have to be responsible for 28 ppg? And what’s so special about 28 ppg?

Colts scored 26.5 ppg last year. Outside of Jonathan Taylor, our offense has more talent than theirs so I think is possible we score around that.

We certainly need our D to hold teams to less points, but if the offense sustains drives that will help the defense too as they won’t have to defend as many short fields.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Why does Carson Wentz alone have to be responsible for 28 ppg? And what’s so special about 28 ppg?

Colts scored 26.5 ppg last year. Outside of Jonathan Taylor, our offense has more talent than theirs so I think is possible we score around that.

We certainly need our D to hold teams to less points, but if the offense sustains drives that will help the defense too as they won’t have to defend as many short fields.

He's the leader of the offense. So maybe I should've worded can a Offense Lead by Wentz score 28 points per game? That's only a TD a quarter. That's what the offense is paid to do, Score TD's!!!!!! 

We already see the Defense is gonna struggle as it has after 2020 so the offense better be prepared to Score TD'S to keep the team in games. FG'S aren't gonna cut it. 

21 minutes ago, DCNative said:

He's the leader of the offense. So maybe I should've worded can a Offense Lead by Wentz score 28 points per game? That's only a TD a quarter. That's what the offense is paid to do, Score TD's!!!!!! 

We already see the Defense is gonna struggle as it has after 2020 so the offense better be prepared to Score TD'S to keep the team in games. FG'S aren't gonna cut it. 

I think our offense is capable of that. Last year we only scored like 19.7 ppg. We have more talent this year on offense & a better QB. I think it’s possible. We gave up 25.5 ppg last year & ended up 7-10. I think our offense & defense can each improve on those.

One thing is that if our offense holds onto the ball more & has sustained drives like they did during our 5 game winning streak it will help our defense. I think during our win streak last year they our defense only gave up 21 ppg. I thought I heard that on the radio the other day. 

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think our offense is capable of that. Last year we only scored like 19.7 ppg. We have more talent this year on offense & a better QB. I think it’s possible. We gave up 25.5 ppg last year & ended up 7-10. I think our offense & defense can each improve on those.

One thing is that if our offense holds onto the ball more & has sustained drives like they did during our 5 game winning streak it will help our defense. I think during our win streak last year they our defense only gave up 21 ppg. I thought I heard that on the radio the other day. 

If the offense can give us a TD a quarter a game that for sure will give us a better opportunity to Win games. We have to accept the Defense for what it is and put pressure on the offense to score TD'S. That's the reason they traded for Wentz, resigned Terry, and have added playmaking TE's to the offense.