Notable/Interesting Baseball Stats

MikeT14

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to ask this but

Is it something new this year that the starting pitchers are going substantially fewer innings?

I haven't really followed closely since... 2014 or so. But I've turned back in to watch my Phillies in the WS.

Is this definitely a thing? If so, why? Has it been gradual or like a "new meta" sort of thing.

Last time I watched I was enjoying seeing Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels regularly go start to finish but seeing starting pitchers pulled after 4-5 with only like 70-80 pitches seems normal now?

8 hours ago, Danger said:

Not sure where to ask this but

Is it something new this year that the starting pitchers are going substantially fewer innings?

I haven't really followed closely since... 2014 or so. But I've turned back in to watch my Phillies in the WS.

Is this definitely a thing? If so, why? Has it been gradual or like a "new meta" sort of thing.

Last time I watched I was enjoying seeing Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels regularly go start to finish but seeing starting pitchers pulled after 4-5 with only like 70-80 pitches seems normal now?

Stats have shown pretty consistently that pitchers get much worse the third time through a lineup. Add to that relievers have gotten better, particularly those in middle relief, so yes they generally go shorter. In the playoffs unless you are an ace and are filthy on that day you probably won't go more than 5, maybe 6.