The Justin Fields watch thread

JAF-N72EX

May as well get it started now since every single throw is going to be placed under a microscope for the next 6 months. 

I'm not expecting him to be Mahomes..... I just want to see progression from last year. Better decision making, less fumbles, not taking as many unnecessary hits, and not missing high as much as he did last year since it often leads to turnovers. I'd rather see a QB miss low than high.

His level of progress will also be used to evaluate the staff too. By all accounts, they reworked his mechanics and he is now playing in a easier system that is better suited to his strengths.

Here's to hoping Fields can become the player we all hope he can be.

28636517925_6ee3b82201_b.jpg

• Like 4

Definitely want to see quicker processing from him. Too many times there wasnt even a safety net or apparent hot route (maybe Nagy's or Fields' fault. Idk enough to know who was primarily at fault but it is inexcusable to happen THAT much). When there wasn't there seemed to be a long pause as Fields had to decide to scramble or not. I want him to look through 2 or 3 options and dump it off. If that isn't immediately available then just run. If you cant get out then go feet first WAY before you get crushed or throw the ball out of bounds as soon as you're out of the box.  Fields is big and solid as a QB but he isn't tanking hits like Allen or prime Newton, and i don't want to see him going down over trying to get a few extra yards on 2nd and 4. 

Technically he has things that need tweaked but i want to see his progressions and processing improve. Seeing when you have a rusher unblocked and make a shift or a quick flat away from them. Reset your feet when you're running to your left rather than just arm-throwing. Things like that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I think a few of those things he started showing last year like limiting the fumbles and not taking as many hits. But I also would like to see him further progress in those areas.

Yeah he needs to hold onto the ball with a much tighter grip this year than last. 

He can't be doing things like this. I'd hate to say it but that's weak as hell. 

NtOGZtD.gif

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Definitely want to see quicker processing from him. Too many times there wasnt even a safety net or apparent hot route (maybe Nagy's or Fields' fault. Idk enough to know who was primarily at fault but it is inexcusable to happen THAT much).

A lot of good points Suga. Especially about Newton and taking hits just to get 1 or 2 more yards.

About the quoted part above, I think plays like this had a lot to do with it....

sqT3MCm.png
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yeah he needs to hold onto the ball with a much tighter grip this year than last. 

He can't be doing things like this. I'd hate to say it but that's weak as hell. 

NtOGZtD.gif

Yep, the grip is a huge issue that needs addressed the day Eberflus and Getsy were hired. Need to drill him like Tiki Barber and ensure it is high and tight. That or just throw the damn thing away. Eventually they won't go for the ball, they're gonna tee off on him. Hell bring in a baseball player like they did for Rodgers to teach him to slide. IDGAD just get him to protect himself.

Just like with Jay there are times to turn it up and lower the shoulder but it is seriously situational. Fields will learn that but he has Superman Syndrome right now.

34 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

A lot of good points Suga. Especially about Newton and taking hits just to get 1 or 2 more yards.

About the quoted part above, I think plays like this had a lot to do with it....

sqT3MCm.png

Yeesh. I was kinda hoping it was my anti-Nagy bias but damn. lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yep, the grip is a huge issue that needs addressed the day Eberflus and Getsy were hired. Need to drill him like Tiki Barber and ensure it is high and tight. That or just throw the damn thing away. Eventually they won't go for the ball, they're gonna tee off on him. Hell bring in a baseball player like they did for Rodgers to teach him to slide. IDGAD just get him to protect himself.

Just like with Jay there are times to turn it up and lower the shoulder but it is seriously situational. Fields will learn that but he has Superman Syndrome right now.

Yeesh. I was kinda hoping it was my anti-Nagy bias but damn. lol

Fields reminds me alot like Vick in terms of holding onto the ball and always trying to play hero ball.  Vick never could get away from it either, even when he returned, because Dan reeves(?) just let him be and didn't coach him out of it because it was working.  I hope Flus/Getsy don't make that same mistake with Fields.

It’s a balance for me. I want to see him play less hero ball, but I also want to see him not be neutered out of big play mentality that’s made him who he is. Don’t become afraid to make mistakes, but be a little more selective about it. Running is going to be a big part of his game, but he’s got to protect the ball better once he’s decided to run vs. running while still looking to throw. With that said, running QBs tend to fumble more too (see the fumble stats for Hurts, Lamar and Kyler) so our expectations need to be appropriate in that regard too. There are times where it’s okay to tuck and take a sack too - the running backwards thing he did a few times last year turning a 5 yard sack into a 17 yard sack can’t happen.

17 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

May as well get it started now since every single throw is going to be placed under a microscope for the next 6 months. 

I'm not expecting him to be Mahomes..... I just want to see progression from last year.

Right - perspective is key, and the part I bolded is where things get dumb. Microanalysis of every single thing he does on every single snap is always going to give a negative perception because every single QB doesn’t see every open receiver, makes bad throws and makes poor decisions. It’s gonna happen.

I think it’s far more important to look at it from a frequency standpoint than a specific one. Is he making less poor decisions and throws and missing less open guys? The standard to which we hold him (or any QB) should get more strict every year, but there’s still gotta be some allowance for error otherwise people will never be satisfied. Mahomes threw 13 INT and fumbled 9 times last season, and he’s arguably the best QB in the league. 

• Like 1

The expectations have to be curbed a bit this season given the situation. Unfortunately, some probably won't see it that way.

As Bears fans we have a bad history of being very impatient when it come to QBs.

If Fields hasn't taken big enough strides to please the masses by mid-season then I can already hear bust rumblings start to happen.  If it doesn't improve by week 18 then I bet we start hearing a few boos from the crowd. As if any of this helps.

hqdefault.jpg

17 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Fields reminds me alot like Vick in terms of holding onto the ball and always trying to play hero ball.  Vick never could get away from it either, even when he returned, because Dan reeves(?) just let him be and didn't coach him out of it because it was working.  I hope Flus/Getsy don't make that same mistake with Fields.

I can see that. Vick was able to get away with it because he was the first QB with that level of athleticism. Jackson is right there too but Vick was why defenses had to evolve. There were great athletes who could throw like Warren Moon, Steve Young, etc but now people have adapted. Thats why I think they will focus on his QB progression. The best mobile QBs use their legs as an asset but not the foundation of their game. In GB Getsy and in KC Poles SHOULD have seen this. Literally couldn't ask for two better examples besides Allen maybe.

Hopefully they are competent and skilled enough to develop him. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dafreak said:

This team could surprise, so much to like what this coaching staff has been able to accomplish to date.

I don't expect alot of wins. The roster is far too outmatched in terms of talent IMO. But winning is not the main purpose of this year anyhow.

If Fields can prove to be a stud while working with this roster then that says alot about him and the staff and both of them should get bonus credit for it. Plus, if Fields progresses like this then that probably means Mooney and Kmet stepped up too and the OL was atleast solid. So extra bonus credit would go to Fields for elevating the talent around him (like all good QBs do) and the staff for elevating Fields and starting to build around him with the RIGHT pieces. Even if it's not always pretty in year 1 or result in wins. It would atleast show that they have right kind of ideology and structure in mind to build off of moving forward.

You can have a few good players mixed with some potential future prospects and still end up with a bad record. The Texans/Watson come to mind. That's normal for a rebuilding team. Fields' progression needs to be the #1 priority though IMO.