The Justin Fields watch thread

JAF-N72EX

38 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I absolutely WISH we would have overpaid for Brian Allen so I could see the meltdown you all would be having right now. Not to mention being stuck with him

Rams aren't "stuck" with Allen. They can cut him as early as next offseason and save 2.6M.

But I don't actually care about Brian Allen or any specific FA. My point was only that this year's cap situation did not meaningfully restrict Poles from signing more FA help.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I absolutely WISH we would have overpaid for Brian Allen so I could see the meltdown you all would be having right now. Not to mention being stuck with him

Who decides what is an “over pay”?

Is there a committee online or something that votes on it.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Rams aren't "stuck" with Allen. They can cut him as early as next offseason and save 2.6M.

But I don't actually care about Brian Allen or any specific FA. My point was only that this year's cap situation did not meaningfully restrict Poles from signing more FA help.

This is 100% true.

We could still, with the cap space we have lying around, add any OL contract signed in free agency except Scherff.

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

They went and got a starting OL, one that I think can be productive if they can ever be on the field together. The problem was always depth, and we are seeing that right now.

The hyperbole about Patrick is impressive this week, he was signed to be a Center, and with the thumb he hasn’t been able to do that. In no way am I defending the rotation with Jenkins, but I know why they were doing it, do get scheme knowledge on the field.

Just like missing Johnson on defense messes everything up, not having Patrick at Center messes a lot of the OL up. Mostly because we have to put Mustipher in there. 

Had we gotten 2 of the most agreed upon free agent OL of this forum (who we would have had to pay more than they actually got) in Allen and Bates, and both were underperforming as they currently are, how would you guys be reacting? I think I can guess…

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Hypothetically they could have signed Terron Armstead and still had 110 million in 2023 cap space.

They have so much cap space coming, worrying about it while your QB gets wiped out 12 times a game doesn’t seem like it is worth it.

The point is Poles clearly didn’t want to commit long term money to anyone…so yeah there is a lot you can do in terms of moving money around but to do that you have to give out 3,4,5 year deals…that just wassn’t the strategy for Poles…rightly or wrongly…we will find out next season.

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The point is Poles clearly didn’t want to commit long term money to anyone…so yeah there is a lot you can do in terms of moving money around but to do that you have to give out 3,4,5 year deals…that just wassn’t the strategy for Poles…rightly or wrongly…we will find out next season.

Wrongly. We know right now.

Look at this offense that getting our QB killed.

Sitting on 130 million in 2023 cap space while Fields is brutalized is a bad plan.

7 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

They went and got a starting OL, one that I think can be productive if they can ever be on the field together. The problem was always depth, and we are seeing that right now.

The hyperbole about Patrick is impressive this week, he was signed to be a Center, and with the thumb he hasn’t been able to do that. In no way am I defending the rotation with Jenkins, but I know why they were doing it, do get scheme knowledge on the field.

Just like missing Johnson on defense messes everything up, not having Patrick at Center messes a lot of the OL up. Mostly because we have to put Mustipher in there. 

Had we gotten 2 of the most agreed upon free agent OL of this forum (who we would have had to pay more than they actually got) in Allen and Bates, and both were underperforming as they currently are, how would you guys be reacting? I think I can guess…

It isn’t hyperbole about Patrick… he is atrocious.

He has played OG more than C in is career… I don’t by the he has to play C thing.

I think he was a fringe starter for a reason and when he doesn’t have a HOF QB and starts around him he looks like the backup he is.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

His accuracy, pocket movement, and reading progressions still don't look like what you'd expect from an NFL QB.

He's a great playmaker and always has been. Maybe he can succeed as an unconventional QB with an offense built around his unique skills. At this point his high-end ceiling seems closer to Lamar Jackson than Josh Allen.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

His accuracy, pocket movement, and reading progressions still don't look like what you'd expect from an NFL QB.

He's a great playmaker and always has been. Maybe he can succeed as an unconventional QB with an offense built around his unique skills. At this point his high-end ceiling seems closer to Lamar Jackson than Josh Allen.

I would agree they are not where they need to be however they are all improving and that is the key.