The Justin Fields watch thread

JAF-N72EX

16 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Twitter is just 9 kinds of stupid.

Im surprised how "on Twitter" most of this Forum is. The depths you had to go to find that tweet (do you just doom scroll all of these comment threads?)

I mean this in the most respectful way possible, come up for air. Anyone with half a brain can see whats going on, we have known from the start of the year. And we said there were 3 major things that need to be done

1. A Roster/Cap Culling - Hasnt been pretty or fun, but it has been effective and we are cleared for the future
  2. Amass Future Assets - I think we have done a very good job here, Im sure there may have been some other smaller trades to be had, but you cant get them all. And Id say we havent done much in the way of Veteran adds (Claypool and Leatherwood are TBD) but the draft class has been impressive
  3. Evaluate Justin Fields - This was the MOST important one for the future of the franchise, and he has passed with flying colors. I said it from the jump, the things we need to see, will not be imacted by the talent level around him. His ability to adapt/run the offense, his decision making (including the Hero Ball syndrome) and biggest of all, become a Leader, THE LEADER, of this football team. 

This has been a SUPER successful year by any measure that I had to start the season. I said it before, I dont care what the Shock Jock, or Radio Show callers, or especially Internet Trolls think about the "results" of the season, because all they look at are W/L and stats, which are meaningless to us at this point. And Ryan Poles isnt going to care either, nor should he. This team was in so much worse shape than anyone in Chicago ever wanted to admit, because there is still this beer-goggles appreciation of what they once were. This is a true touch the bottom year, but it was planned, and we are going to springboard off of it going forward

Now we just need to hang on to the #2 pick

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Im surprised how "on Twitter" most of this Forum is. The depths you had to go to find that tweet (do you just doom scroll all of these comment threads?)

I mean this in the most respectful way possible, come up for air. Anyone with half a brain can see whats going on, we have known from the start of the year. And we said there were 3 major things that need to be done

1. A Roster/Cap Culling - Hasnt been pretty or fun, but it has been effective and we are cleared for the future
  2. Amass Future Assets - I think we have done a very good job here, Im sure there may have been some other smaller trades to be had, but you cant get them all. And Id say we havent done much in the way of Veteran adds (Claypool and Leatherwood are TBD) but the draft class has been impressive
  3. Evaluate Justin Fields - This was the MOST important one for the future of the franchise, and he has passed with flying colors. I said it from the jump, the things we need to see, will not be imacted by the talent level around him. His ability to adapt/run the offense, his decision making (including the Hero Ball syndrome) and biggest of all, become a Leader, THE LEADER, of this football team. 

This has been a SUPER successful year by any measure that I had to start the season. I said it before, I dont care what the Shock Jock, or Radio Show callers, or especially Internet Trolls think about the "results" of the season, because all they look at are W/L and stats, which are meaningless to us at this point. And Ryan Poles isnt going to care either, nor should he. This team was in so much worse shape than anyone in Chicago ever wanted to admit, because there is still this beer-goggles appreciation of what they once were. This is a true touch the bottom year, but it was planned, and we are going to springboard off of it going forward

No I follow Bears beat writers and YouTubers and then Twitter will give me stuff they think I want to see and things they hit "like" on.   I search for nothing.

59 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

A successful value laden trade of #2 pick would be huge with a QB in place.

I would love Jalen Carter - but if you get a good offer I think you have to take it. 

I think unless there is a generational talent there you either pick QB in top 3 or trade it.  Assuming you are getting worthy offers.  

We have a lot of needs.   We need 3 new OL and 3 new DL.    A new WR.  Another TE.  Another Corner.  Maybe a safety.

Plus depth is needed everywhere.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I would love Jalen Carter - but if you get a good offer I think you have to take it. 

I think we are going to see quite the struggle between the want for Carter and wish of a massive trade haul.

Its why Im hoping that we end up with Seattle or Indy (better option) at Pick #3 right behind us, and we can pull off a Mitch trade and still get Carter.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We have a lot of needs.   We need 3 new OL and 3 new DL.    A new WR.  Another TE.  Another Corner.  Maybe a safety.

And we arent going to get all of them in this offseason. 

I also doint believe we need or will be getting 3 new Starters on the OL.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think we are going to see quite the struggle between the want for Carter and wish of a massive trade haul.

Its why Im hoping that we end up with Seattle or Indy (better option) at Pick #3 right behind us, and we can pull off a Mitch trade and still get Carter.

And we arent going to get all of them in this offseason. 

I also doint believe we need or will be getting 3 new Starters on the OL.

It is what we need.   Maybe not what we get.

But left to right currently our OL recently was  Braxton, Whitehair, Mustipher, Jenkins, Reiff

Now maybe Patrick starts for Mustipher at center next year.   But Patrick wasn't even better than Mustipher at guard in 2022.   Mustipher they really like for whatever reason, even made him captain, so he may be back.   It may be Mustipher and Patrick fighting it out for center in 2023.   Fans will love that.  

Whitehair was likely to be cut for contract/performance issues combined already and now he is badly hurt to boot.  He is probably not back IMO at this point.   His post 2nd contract career has been disappointing. 

Reiff probably isn't asked back and they don't like Borom.      

So I think we could very well see 3 new starters on Oline next year in addition to Braxton and Jenkins.   Depends on how high we draft a C or G.   I think our new RT is coming in FA.

I think had they developed Zach Thomas at G and or Borom at Guard since Spring - one of those guys may have been ready to play G in 2023.  But they kept Borom at OT and Thomas got poached off PS and they didn't seem high on him anyway.   I liked his potential from college tape and was further encouraged a lot from preseason tape.  Rams apparently agreed with me.  

Our big(gest) spending in 2023 FA is likely to be on DL/Edge and RT.   Mark it.

43 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Whitehair was likely to be cut for contract/performance issues combined already and now he is badly hurt to boot.  He is probably not back IMO at this point.   His post 2nd contract career has been disappointing. 

There has been ZERO indication of this. We have SOOOO much money the next 2 years, there is no reason to do that when it comes to his contract. We can not responsibly spend the money we currently have. We are not hurting for more.

He was actually very good and dependable before the first injury this year, obviously the second changes things, the question is how much it impacts 2023 for him, but saying he is automatically gone is illogical at this point with the low floor of talent we currently have without him. A restructure that allows him to rehab and then make the money back when healthy/active is the most beneficial to both sides. 

Not to mention I think Alex Leatherwood still factors into this equation, and we will see more and more of him in the final 3 weeks. A good showing in limited time against GB then a bad this week against Philly. Sill a whole lot to figure out there on a guy with alot of talent

What is really needed is a major upgrade at Center, but I dont believe that guy is out there as a Free Agent this year, regardless of how many times guys Mock Bradbury to us. So a battle between Patrick/Mustipher/Draft Pick is likely on the horizon.

We could have anywhere between 1 and 4 new faces at positions on the OL (still a chance Jenkins goes back out to RT) but seems more than a bit premature to call any of that "definitive" 

8 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not to mention I think Alex Leatherwood still factors into this equation, and we will see more and more of him in the final 3 weeks. A good showing in limited time against GB then a bad this week against Philly. Sill a whole lot to figure out there on a guy with alot of talent

I think he factors in too. He’s almost surely going to be on the roster in some capacity next year given that his contract is fully guaranteed. After watching him not be able to handle speed at all this past weekend moving him inside to G makes a lot of sense to me, whether that’s as an immediate replacement for Whitehair or as competition for him in 2023.

Flus talked after the trade about liking Leatherwood’s ability to run block:

“One of the things when you look at him that stands out is, one, run blocking,” Eberflus said. “His run blocking’s really good. He’s got good balance when it comes to that. He can stick and stay on guys. That’s what we like about him most right now. And he’s going to develop his game.”

Chris Morgan started Jenkins out at OT and when he didn’t like what he saw there shifted him inside, and he has thrived. Leatherwood seems primed for a similar path IMO. His athleticism tested incredibly high during his draft cycle (9.86 RAS score) but there were questions about his ability to handle speed from a technique standpoint that seem to remain. A shift inside may well emphasize the athleticism while serving to mask the deficiencies he has in space.

If Whitehair is indeed out this week and with Jenkins almost surely to miss at least this week it’s gonna be either he or Carter starting opposite Schofield at guard. I’d like to see Leatherwood there this week personally. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think he factors in too. He’s almost surely going to be on the roster in some capacity next year given that his contract is fully guaranteed. After watching him not be able to handle speed at all this past weekend moving him inside to G makes a lot of sense to me, whether that’s as an immediate replacement for Whitehair or as competition for him in 2023.

Flus talked after the trade about liking Leatherwood’s ability to run block:

“One of the things when you look at him that stands out is, one, run blocking,” Eberflus said. “His run blocking’s really good. He’s got good balance when it comes to that. He can stick and stay on guys. That’s what we like about him most right now. And he’s going to develop his game.”

Chris Morgan started Jenkins out at OT and when he didn’t like what he saw there shifted him inside, and he has thrived. Leatherwood seems primed for a similar path IMO. His athleticism tested incredibly high during his draft cycle (9.86 RAS score) but there were questions about his ability to handle speed from a technique standpoint that seem to remain. A shift inside may well emphasize the athleticism while serving to mask the deficiencies he has in space.

If Whitehair is indeed out this week and with Jenkins almost surely to miss at least this week it’s gonna be either he or Carter starting opposite Schofield at guard. I’d like to see Leatherwood there this week personally. 

It was a waste of time to put Leatherwood at OT.   Raiders already figured that out.  He can't do it.   Now you are weeks behind on that.

Conversely I think they gave up on Jenkins at OT way too soon.  But that is spilt milk.  I don't want to see Jenkins moved again.

We need to see if Leatherwood can improve enough at guard to be a solid starter.  I think that is very possible.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...