The Justin Fields watch thread

JAF-N72EX

38 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm not sure anyone can say we didn't see progression especially considering we didn't figure out how to use him for the first 5 weeks or so of the season and he had next to nothing around him all season.

Now I want to be clear that I don't know how QB rating actually works so they're just averaged out, and doing this on a break may have me being a bit wonky with a number, but I exported the stats from ProFootballReference's site and split it into two halves for Fields. Fields' last game sucked, just as about everyone on the team did, but he went from sub-Tebowesque numbers to looking like a franchise QB for the bulk of the second half of his season.

Fields-Two-Halves.png

Records aren't on him, hell you could say two wins were almost in spite of him, meanwhile the 32nd ranked defense obviously  is the culprit for going 0-8 in the last 8 weeks.

But even with the inconsistency if he doubled the second half's efforts he would have the best season in Bears QB history, and it wouldn't even be remotely close. For comparison Lamar Jackson had  4,333 total yards, 43 total TDs, and 8 turnovers.

Considering Fields did that with the nearly literal garbage around him I'd be hard-pressed to worry much about him. Get talent around him and see if he is the second half or first half QB. Just a few tweaks like stopping the damn side-armed throws on screens that he always seems to sail, or attacking the middle of the field between 0-10 yards more (which should be the easiest area to pass to that isn't behind the LOS league-wide), and allowing him to audible some hot routes to protect himself when the OL has numbers against them. Getsy should have a better grasp on the strengths of the team since he has a season with most of these guys, and most importantly Fields will get to be in the same offense for the first time since he left Day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Look, we all have opinions, but literally not one person has said "Fields has arrived as a passing quarterback." Truly not one. Anything for clicks and subscriptions and listens though!

This kind of stuff is exactly why I hope that they have had a sit down discussion with Justin. Hopefully when they made the decision to shut him down this week, they also covered what is all coming from "shock jock" media guys and instilled their confidence in him going forward as the QB.

Because as much as its a great quality, Justin's competitiveness/passion can also lead to reactionary feelings/comments to stuff from people who just arent important. And as much as he seems to be Online, Im hoping these things are all ironed out between him and the team.

9 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Look, we all have opinions, but literally not one person has said "Fields has arrived as a passing quarterback." Truly not one. Anything for clicks and subscriptions and listens though!

We're 2-3 months away from a Tebow article coming out too. 😅

The writing off of Justin Fields after year 2 is going to age very poorly. I doubt he will ever process as quick as Burrow and Herbert, but his arm is an absolute weapon. He’s also shown the ability to manipulate defenders with his eyes and legs. His improvements will be more apparent as the team around him grows. 

I’m not overly impressed with Young or Stroud and know very little of Levis. Anyone who thinks these guys are better prospects than Fields is crazy to me. And while Fields still needs to improve as a passer he has absolutely proven himself in one area; leadership. It’s not being talked about enough, but the coaches and players in that locker room would go to war for him.  Justin doesn’t get out worked by anyone. He’s not afraid to say it and his coaches and teammates echo that fact. He’s an alpha and the spotlight isn’t too big. If you’re not paying attention it’s something that can be easy to overlook, but his ability to lead a franchise makes me confident he will be our guy for a long time. 

• Like 2

I have actually heard/read Dallas Cowboys fans/podcasters and Buffalo Bills fans/podcasters saying their QBs didn't have enough weapons to look good.

(I don't know why but I always like to read fan boards and listen to podcasts of a team after an emotional loss - it is just interesting to me.)

Also many Cowboys fans saying the 49ers defense is so good they would make anyone look bad. 

Granted many Cowboys fans are putting Prescott on blast as well - always about 30% that don't like him.

But you know Fields is just bad and needs to train with Hurts this offseason to learn.  Like Purdy did.