The Justin Fields watch thread

JAF-N72EX

On 2/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, HuskieBear said:

So Houston calls and offers #2, #12, a 2024 1st and 2025 3rd for JF1. You taking it?

Could get you Bryce Young, Jalen Carter, and Broderick Jones this year alone.

To answer your question with a hypothetical question of my own, if Fields is worth two 1s and a future 3 more than Stroud/Levis to Houston (both relatively consensus top 5-10 picks), why would we ever consider trading him at all? How good would that mean the Bears have to think Young is? 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

To answer your question with a hypothetical question of my own, if Fields is worth two 1s and a future 3 more than Stroud/Levis to Houston (both relatively consensus top 5-10 picks), why would we ever consider trading him at all? How good would that mean the Bears have to think Young is? 

Everytime someone talks about trading Fields to draft another QB this always comes to mind.

• Like 3

Fields had flat energy like always but still worth a watch. Finally got an inkling of his underneath personality in the last two minutes. He seems to always answer questions professionally/kinda boring as if he has a publicist in his ear. He acknowledged needing to fix his short game and seemed a little frustrated about the conversation about him getting traded (who wouldn’t). If anyone watches this, skip the first two mins, he’s literally just plugging that C4 drink the whole time lol 

On 2/1/2023 at 3:57 PM, Madmike90 said:

Truthfully? No…

The Bears were founded in 1919 and in all those 103 years have never had a QB with the talent of Fields…do you really want to buy another lottery ticket and then have to see how it pans out given what sort of bust rate we see at QB? Not for me as tempting as the mocks that could be created would be haha.

It would be such a Bears move though. We finally get a franchise QB and we trade him away for an unknown.

11 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Fields had flat energy like always but still worth a watch. Finally got an inkling of his underneath personality in the last two minutes. He seems to always answer questions professionally/kinda boring as if he has a publicist in his ear. He acknowledged needing to fix his short game and seemed a little frustrated about the conversation about him getting traded (who wouldn’t). If anyone watches this, skip the first two mins, he’s literally just plugging that C4 drink the whole time lol 

If you watch the "Slow News Day" he did (I think its a linked video on that one) its mostly the same, more condensed, with a tad bit more personality.

I will say this, while none of these are extremely enlightening, its a great sign that he is out there doing these during Super Bowl week. He is getting the boring media reps in now, so when we (hopefully) are good, and he is entrenched, he will be able to show off his personality more, and be more comfortable in these.

He has handled the expectation and trade rumor questions very well in my eyes.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, FosterTheSkins said:

Everytime someone talks about trading Fields to draft another QB this always comes to mind.

We are keeping Fields.  End of story. 

I haven’t really looked at this years QBs and probably won’t because I know we are keeping Fields. 

I just like to do thought exercises.

Biggest arguments against keeping him would be:

1) You think one of college QBs is near can’t miss great. 
2) Someone gives up insane amount of capital.

Those two things combined with resetting to year one of a rookie deal would make it tempting. 

But you also have to figure in that you are back to year one of developmental time.  Whereas Fields just had a year in bag. 

Aside 

12 hours ago, dafreak said:

It would be such a Bears move though. We finally get a franchise QB and we trade him away for an unknown.

This is literally the only reason I've ever given trading a Fields a second thought, as there are no arguments for it that hold up halfway through a sentence. 

"Well, I can't imagine that the Bears wouldn't demand insane compensation, and can't imagine that a team would be willing to pay that without wondering why the Bears would be willing to give him up in the first place, and he does occupy sort of a gray are where he's unproven but has also showed enough that you'd be crazy to move him, but then again it IS the Chicago Bears and I can't really see how else they could possibly maintain their statistically unlikely terrible QB history so yeah send him to Detoit for a 7th rounder"

To sum of Fields for those of us who watched closely:

1) He is very accurate with a clean pocket.

2) He has a very strong arm.

3) He has demonstrated  intangible leadership qualities.

4) He has demonstrated ability to play through pain.

5) He is an elite runner.  Arguably best QB runner.  Top 2 for certain.  I didn't know he was THAT good at running, I don't think anyone did.  

6) He is improving on getting through progressions and about where he should be at his level of experience.  

7) He demonstrated all of above while playing with the worst roster in the league offense and defense.  

Is he a finished product after his first full year as a QB?  Of course not.  Can he get through his reads like Joe Montana or Peyton Manning?  No.  

But to say 'he can't throw' or 'needs to figure out how to throw' without context is such a bad take.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

5) He is an elite runner.  Arguably best QB runner.  Top 2 for certain.  I didn't know he was THAT good at running, I don't think anyone did.  

6) He is improving on getting through progressions and about where he should be at his level of experience.  

7) He demonstrated all of above while playing with the worst roster in the league offense and defense.  

Is he a finished product after his first full year as a QB?  Of course not.  Can he get through his reads like Joe Montana or Peyton Manning?  No.  

But to say 'he can't throw' or 'needs to figure out how to throw' without context is such a bad take.

I think the "he can't throw" narrative is WAY overblown. My issue is he can make remarkable throws, but then follows it up by overshooting a screen, or throwing a sidearmed toss down the sideline thats way off point. It is like he struggles to throw naturally with his routine plays and starts aiming them.

I think his trust in playcalling and OL may be suspect too (head cannon, not saying I have proof), and wouldn't blame him for either. Dude got beat the hell up and early on Getsy was largely to blame for it. The passing game was way too aggressive and the Bears don't exactly have the Greatest Show on Turf's cast around him.  Kmet was his most reliable target this year and I feel like he was nothing more than a decoy that ran down the seam on most plays for the first half the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I think the "he can't throw" narrative is WAY overblown. My issue is he can make remarkable throws, but then follows it up by overshooting a screen, or throwing a sidearmed toss down the sideline thats way off point. It is like he struggles to throw naturally with his routine plays and starts aiming them.

I think his trust in playcalling and OL may be suspect too (head cannon, not saying I have proof), and wouldn't blame him for either. Dude got beat the hell up and early on Getsy was largely to blame for it. The passing game was way too aggressive and the Bears don't exactly have the Greatest Show on Turf's cast around him.  Kmet was his most reliable target this year and I feel like he was nothing more than a decoy that ran down the seam on most plays for the first half the season.

He has been beat to hell since he got on Bears.  Including preseason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

He touched on this in one of the interviews (don’t remember which one) saying sometimes he’s a little tired after a run and let himself get lazy with the fundamentals on that next play, and then talked about bolstering his conditioning even further to make that a non-issue. That probably shouldn’t happen, but the openness with which he discussed it was impressive to me. He didn’t use fatigue as an excuse but rather said he needs to be better prepared to work through or avoid the fatigue. Was a great answer IMO. What I really loved out of all these interviews is that he doesn’t shy away from what he needs to improve on but rather fully and openly owns it. Says he needs to get better at being consistent with short and intermediate passing and hitting his “gimmes” and that that’s gonna be an extra 8 or so completions a game. He knows he’s shown some flashes of greatness but also knows he needs to show more. He even gave the right answer to the question about the Bears’ shoddy QB history by pointing out (correctly) that past failures in that regard have nothing to do with him. The kid just gets it, and whether he ever reaches his immense potential or not, he’s incredibly easy to root for.

Also, for all of the tea leaves readers, it shouldn’t have gone unnoticed not only that he’s going to be meeting up with Steve Young, but that it’s Matt Eberflus who’s setting that up for him. You’re not doing that for a guy you’re trading away. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I agree with almost all of this. I was probably one of his biggest detractor through out the season, but it’s because I think he needs to progress and be more consistent in his passing. Will he do it I really really hope so, along with getting him better weapons and OL. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I know it is JLC, which is why I am entertaining this idea for 24 hours as a thought exercise.

Banner and Tannenbaum seem to be leading this movement. They were both at one point GMs, so it would be very easy for JLC to be "i didn't say they were a current GM"