The Justin Fields watch thread

JAF-N72EX

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Have we heard from anyone actually in the league talking about Justin (talking non-Bears here) who doesn’t think Justin is gonna be special? Fans and analysts have opinions, and usually ones showing some level of bias or agenda, but for the most part players know when a guy is a dude, and when guys like Parsons, Darius Slay and Von Miller (guys with no reason to blow smoke up peoples’ ***** about Fields) talk so glowingly about Justin I put far more stock in it than when @nobody482927372 on Twitter calls him a RB. 

I mean if you actually watched him and didn’t go to stats or PFF you can easily see it. 

Clean pockets and open receivers and some proper time in a system he can do what every good QB can do.    More. 

But he had one of all time bad teams around him.  The training he got his rookie year was horrible.  He had new coaches and all new teammates. He had worst defense in league. His Oline couldn’t protect. He had worst receiving core in league.  

And he still scored points.  He had some clunkers, but he was also beat to hell.

You are grading flashes. Nobody had any idea he could run THAT good.  He threw a number of dimes.  

He is much more talented than Hurts. Better runner, better thrower.  Bigger, stronger, faster.   In exact situation year to year Fields would have done and been better than Hurts. 

Tua looked way better than Fields last year superficially.  He’s not better. 

Archie Manning could have been an all time great, but he played on terrible teams.

Football is ultimate team game and situation and coaching matters immensely.  

Even individually it takes time, patience and situation.  

Look at Cincinnati Oline last year.  New players, but good. Played terrible early and got better later.  

Remember all talking heads saying J. Chase may be a bust because he was dropping balls early.   

They pretend like they didn’t say it now.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I mean if you actually watched him and didn’t go to stats or PFF you can easily see it. 

Clean pockets and open receivers and some proper time in a system he can do what every good QB can do.    More. 

But he had one of all time bad teams around him.  The training he got his rookie year was horrible.  He had new coaches and all new teammates. He had worst defense in league. His Oline couldn’t protect. He had worst receiving core in league.  

And he still scored points.  He had some clunkers, but he was also beat to hell.

You are grading flashes. Nobody had any idea he could run THAT good.  He threw a number of dimes.  

That’s the way I’m looking at it. Dante Pettis and ESQ are fringe NFLers, as is N’Keal Harry. Those guys cost Fields a lot too. Just off the top of my head, ESQ not coming back on a hook route led to a game sealing INT, and a drop on a 4th down dime ended the first game vs. DET. Pettis had several big drops during the season that ended drives. None of that shows up in the stat sheet as anything other than a negative for Fields. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s the way I’m looking at it. Dante Pettis and ESQ are fringe NFLers, as is N’Keal Harry. Those guys cost Fields a lot too. Just off the top of my head, ESQ not coming back on a hook route led to a game sealing INT, and a drop on a 4th down dime ended the first game vs. DET. Pettis had several big drops during the season that ended drives. None of that shows up in the stat sheet as anything other than a negative for Fields. 

Yeah. The team was lacking talent and just oddly dysfunctional as well. I mentioned on here how it seemed like the OL would have 4 good blocks and one guy would get absolutely whooped. It was almost like they were playing hot potato on who would be a turnstile  for any given pass play. Like it felt as if it was at a bizarre level.

Looking position wise, there has not been a group that was not upgraded this offseason except arguably the RB group (I believe overall it was though personally). WR, TE, each level in the OL (OT, OG, C) is more talented than last year. Same for the defense. The Bears aren't exactly putting KC's offense or SF's defense p out there bur the talent has made a significant step forward everywhere on paper at least.

I see no reason why Fields should not be able to get 250 yards per game (passing and rushing combined). There is more than enough talent, he is talented enough, and if not there should be some serious questions for the staff and Fields.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 7:48 PM, Pool said:

MVP

By time August rolls around I am sure will have convinced myself of this.  

But Mahomes just won a Super Bowl, while hurt, despite several other teams being more talented.  Kind of ridiculous.  

He is Jordan of this era.  The league needs KC to start making  roster mistakes to even things out.  

On 5/11/2023 at 6:37 AM, AZBearsFan said:

didnt even mentioned ISM and the vikings game alone

27 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Easily the dumbest fan base in the sport

mental-health-terrific.gif

UNLESS he means today. He is likely as fast and elusive as Johnson and Sanders are today. Smith has been retired forever so his vision isn't what it was once. And Lynch has been on a predominantly Skittles diet for years without being in NFL shape so he isn't the same either.

Dude may be playing 3D chess.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It’s less important that it was joke and more important that it wasn’t taken as such. It’s a commentary on how dumbbbb the typical bears fan is because it is believable one would say it. 

• Like 1