Jump to content

The Justin Fields watch thread


JAF-N72EX
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Just throwing this out there.  I was banging the table for him to sit last year for numerous reasons including killing his confidence before it even had a chance and the entire fan base fought me on it. How many times have we thrown the QBs to the wolves only see them totally ruined a couple years later (ie. Rex, Mitch).

What the definition of insanity again?

I remember reading something where we are the only team in something like 30 years who has not once, not once, hired a GM who got to hire his own coach who then got to choose his QB. Every other franchise has done this numerous times. The Bears? Nope. so-dumb-shoresy.gif

Edited by Pool
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pool said:

I remember reading something where we are the only team in something like 30 years who has not once, not once, hired a GM who got to hire his own coach who then got to choose his QB. Every other franchise has done this numerous times. The Bears? Nope. so-dumb-shoresy.gif

Jerry Angelo with Lovie Smith and Rex, no? Or I am I remembering wrong? I'm watchign teh game and too lazy to look it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Jerry Angelo with Lovie Smith and Rex, no? Or I am I remembering wrong? I'm watchign teh game and too lazy to look it up.

Jauron coached Grossman his first year in the league. ( I had to look it up)

Edited by Pool
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is about to be an unpopular take and I fully expect to be blasted for this. I know a lot of us want the coaching staff just to let Fields throw the ball and work through his kinks so that we can see what we have (me included). But what if the coaching staff has already decided who Fields is? What if, through all the OTAs and practices, this is what the coaches have seen all along? I know I have said that it is still early, and it is, but he has undoubtedly looked as bad as any QB taken last year and seems to have developed the least. I know coaching and weapons play a part in this, but he seems to be lacking in instincts, and I have not seen that he has "it" yet. When there are comparisons to Tebow being thrown around, we have a problem guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

This is about to be an unpopular take and I fully expect to be blasted for this. I know a lot of us want the coaching staff just to let Fields throw the ball and work through his kinks so that we can see what we have (me included). But what if the coaching staff has already decided who Fields is? What if, through all the OTAs and practices, this is what the coaches have seen all along? I know I have said that it is still early, and it is, but he has undoubtedly looked as bad as any QB taken last year and seems to have developed the least. I know coaching and weapons play a part in this, but he seems to be lacking in instincts, and I have not seen that he has "it" yet. When there are comparisons to Tebow being thrown around, we have a problem guys.

I said that during the Packers game. Maybe they watched him all offseason and they know that he's ****ty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I said that during the Packers game. Maybe they watched him all offseason and they know that he's ****ty

But then wouldn't that make them..liars? I thought these guys always told the truth...🤔

But regardless of what they think of him, so far there has been a clear attempt by this staff to try and protect him from throwing the ball too much, whether that's due to how they believe in him, his own confidence issues, the personnel around him, he and the rest of the O not having a full grasp of the offensive system yet, or a combo of any of these things.

All we can hope is that he gets better as the season goes on and that he shows signs of progression.

This is a rebuild year so it's not like we have much to lose by trying to get him figured out 

Edited by topwop1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Also, if this continues how does this change the off season next year? Do we give him one more year or do we cut bait?

If he does poorly this season then you let Poles draft his guy. You make sure you have them compete for the starting gig next year and go with whoever wins the battle. I've said this team needs competition almost across-the-board and very few people should have their roles entrenched come 2023.

If if you have to pay $5 and $6 million for the next 2 years to keep Fields as a backup then do it but you still keep him rather than take on another backup QB who has to learn the system.

Plus he could still rebound as well, and we don't know if Poles can draft quarterbacks either. Can't assume he's just going to snag a franchise QB and cut bait imo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If he does poorly this season then you let Poles draft his guy. You make sure you have them compete for the starting gig next year and go with whoever wins the battle. I've said this team needs competition almost across-the-board and very few people should have their roles entrenched come 2023.

If if you have to pay $5 and $6 million for the next 2 years to keep Fields as a backup then do it but you still keep him rather than take on another backup QB who has to learn the system.

Plus he could still rebound as well, and we don't know if Poles can draft quarterbacks either. Can't assume he's just going to snag a franchise QB and cut bait imo. 

This is a fair point. Who knows. It could turn into a Brees/Rivers situation. Unfortunately, I would never see that play out because if by chance the Bears actually had two good QBs rostered I would fall dead from disbelief.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Justin Fields first 15 games in the NFL:

182/315, 57.78% completion, 2,167 yards (6.88 YPA), 9 TDs, 14 INTs, 69.9 rating, 46 sacks, 99 rushes for 515 yards (5.20 YPA)

Josh Allen first 15 games in the NFL:

235/423, 55.56% completion, 2,824 yards (6.68 YPA), 13 TDs, 15 INTs, 71.7 rating, 33 sacks, 115 rushes for 736 yards (6.40 YPA)

Edited by G08
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since 2011 (rookie contracts) there have been 47 QBs who have started at least 13 games within their first 2 seasons and here is where Justin Fields first 13 starts ranks in comparison to all of them.

Completions:  Fields has 174 total completions which ranks the lowest (47th) behind Russ Wilson's 194.

Pass Attempts:  Fields has 300 attempts which ranks the lowest amount (47th) behind Russ Wilson's 330.

Completion %:  Fields has a 58.0% which ranks 36th lowest behind Trevor Lawrence's 58.2% and more thanSam Darnold's 57.7%.

Pass Yards:  Fields has thrown for 2,097 yards which ranks 46th lowest behind Josh Rosen's 2,242 and more than Blaine Gabbert's 2,070.

Passing TDs: Fields has thrown 9TDs which is the 3rd lowest and is ranked 40th (tied with 5 others; Trevor Lawrence, Blake Bortles, DeShone Kizer, Zach Wilson, Geno Smith) and ahead of Tannehill (8) and Trubisky (7).

Passing TD %:  Fields' passing TD per attempt is 3.0% which ranks 34th lowest behind Josh Allen's 3.2% and higher than Dwayne Haskins' 2.9%.

Interception:  Fields' 13 INTs ranks 13th most, tied with Josh Rosen, Teddy Bridgewater, Christian Ponder, and 1 INT less than 6 others tied at 14 INTs.

Interception %:  Fields' INT per pass attempt is 4.3% which ranks 3rd highest behind Josh Allen (3.8%) and lower than Deshone Kizer (4.6%)

Passer Rating: Fields has a 71.5% passer rating which ranks 39th lowest behind Ryan Tannehill (72.5%) and more than Josh Allen (71.4%).

Sacks: Fields has taken 44 sacks which ranks 5th most, tied with Dwayne Haskins, Zach Wilson, Josh Rosen, and 1 less than Kyle Allen (45).

Sack % per pass attempt:  Fields has a 12.8% sack rate which ranks 1st in highest percentage rate and by a pretty large margin. Jacoby Brissett is 2nd highest with a 11.3% and Blake Bortles is 3rd with 10.7%.

Fumbles: Fields has 14 fumbles which ranks 2nd most behind Daniel Jones (18) and more than 2 others with 13; Kyle Allen, Blaine Gabbert.

Total Off yards (Pass + Rush - Sack yards):  Fields has 2,277 total yards which ranks 44th and is the 4th lowest behind Long Neck (2,331) and ahead of Zach Wilson (2,149).

Y/A: Fields has an even 7.0 ypa which ranks 17th highest (tied with 3 others; Jacoby Brissett, Geno Smith, Trevor Siemian).

AY/A:  Fields' AY/A is 5.6% which is the 9th lowest and ranks 39th behind Brandon Weeden (5.7) and ahead of Derek Carr (5.3).

ANY/A %:  Fields has a ANY/A % of 4.0 which is the 7th lowest and ranks 41st behind Trevor Lawrence (4.3) and ahead of Zach Wilson (3.9).

 

Tl;dr version

Raw data here: https://stathead.com/tiny/jfSOW

Summarized report here:

kpQfn0X.png
 
tFP1MVz.png
 

 

 

Edited by JAF-N72EX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...