The Justin Fields watch thread

JAF-N72EX

17 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Also, if this continues how does this change the off season next year? Do we give him one more year or do we cut bait?

If Fields doesn't improve then this becomes more of a loaded question than you may realize, for various reasons.

One, If Getsy doesn't get any better then we may be looking at a new OC as well, and we don't know how they felt about Fields before the draft or how they view this years QB draft class. If they had high marks for Fields and don't see the same potential in the 2023 class then they may wanna be given a chance to work with Fields (along with an overhaul of talent with the salary cap) as opposed to grooming an early round flyer.

Plus, if Poles/Flus/new OC go QB early in the draft then you're immediately killing Fields confidence from the jump heading into the 2023 season. He has already shown to be very sensitive about fan and media comments and drafting another QB early is only going to compound on that.

Just something to keep in mind is all.

On 9/26/2022 at 5:46 AM, Bigbear72 said:

Also, if this continues how does this change the off season next year? Do we give him one more year or do we cut bait?

I think the real problem there, almost regardless of what level Fields is at, we will probably win too many games this year to be in position to get one of the Top 2/3 guys.

Weve already got 2 wins (one of them over a favorite for a Top 3 pick) and depending on how you feel about the Vikings, I wouldnt be shocked if we won any of like 10 games left. Now make sure you read that correctly, I said not shocked if we would win any of those individual games, not that we would or that we would even be favored in them. Thats just the kind of team we have, solid Run game that can slow most teams down to our pace, and a scrappy D that can set us up for enough success. Im not expecting this team to really win on the road too much, but wouldnt count us out of being in any if not all of the next 5 games. None of them other than Minnesota really have the fire power to blow us out, and if you keep things close in the NFL weird things happen. 

Just using last year as a template (only 17 game season we have to use) 5 wins knocks you out of the Top 5 picks, and 7 could knock you out of the Top 10. So unless we want to give up a haul again for one of the true top guys (and not more of a flier) so soon after just doing it, then I think we might be looking at one more season of Fields regardless. And honestly it might be best, to use that same time frame to see if Getsy has what it takes, as Im sure none of us are too pleased (and definitely not impressed) so far. I think we win 4 more games (6-11) have a Top 10 pick, and start adding talent to this roster. If Fields shows nothing more throughout this season, then maybe bring in a young Vet for competition (Darnold, Jones, Rudolph, Lock, Minshew, etc) and if thats not your answer, then you can make the decision to go all in in 2024 on a Rookie or find a Vet, either way the roster is much more rebuilt at that point.

Again, its a process that takes time, but I know Football fans dont like to hear that. 

55 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think the real problem there, almost regardless of what level Fields is at, we will probably win too many games this year to be in position to get one of the Top 2/3 guys.

Weve already got 2 wins (one of them over a favorite for a Top 3 pick) and depending on how you feel about the Vikings, I wouldnt be shocked if we won any of like 10 games left. Now make sure you read that correctly, I said not shocked if we would win any of those individual games, not that we would or that we would even be favored in them. Thats just the kind of team we have, solid Run game that can slow most teams down to our pace, and a scrappy D that can set us up for enough success. Im not expecting this team to really win on the road too much, but wouldnt count us out of being in any if not all of the next 5 games. None of them other than Minnesota really have the fire power to blow us out, and if you keep things close in the NFL weird things happen. 

Just using last year as a template (only 17 game season we have to use) 5 wins knocks you out of the Top 5 picks, and 7 could knock you out of the Top 10. So unless we want to give up a haul again for one of the true top guys (and not more of a flier) so soon after just doing it, then I think we might be looking at one more season of Fields regardless. And honestly it might be best, to use that same time frame to see if Getsy has what it takes, as Im sure none of us are too pleased (and definitely not impressed) so far. I think we win 4 more games (6-11) have a Top 10 pick, and start adding talent to this roster. If Fields shows nothing more throughout this season, then maybe bring in a young Vet for competition (Darnold, Jones, Rudolph, Lock, Minshew, etc) and if thats not your answer, then you can make the decision to go all in in 2024 on a Rookie or find a Vet, either way the roster is much more rebuilt at that point.

Again, its a process that takes time, but I know Football fans dont like to hear that. 

Ya I don't see us finishing in the bottom 2 picks which is where we'll likely have to be to get a shot at one of either Stroud or Young .

Imagine though that we are in a position to draft another Ohio State QB in Stroud..not sure how people would really feel about that lol...

Then it would be he and former teammate Fields battling it out for the starting job next season? I mean it's certainly possible but I don't really see it

Obviously Fields is going to need to show progression and improvement by the end of this year but that being said I think this team's best option moving forward is to stick with him and be patient and try to fortify the team around him.

If by end of year 3 he still doesn't look like the guy then that's when you would have to make a decision on his 5th year option and we should be in a position to draft another QB at that point 

The way I see it is we're not going to come close to winning anything until Rodgers retires or until he slows down in a major way...that's just facts I mean he owns us..so why rush 

Edited by topwop1

Based on some of the play calling this last week I'm beginning to think the staff has already moving to a two year plan with Fields.  I think they have found that last year was truly a wasted year regarding Fields development and they have adopted the Roethlisberger, Wilson, Brady development path of slow progressions with limited risk while winning what you can with the run game and defense.

Fields might surprise them and show faster progress once he has  completely exorcize the demons of  coaches past but for now I think Fields will not be put in many high pressure, high risk situations until he shows he can execute in low risk situations such as early game and reasonable down and distance.

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Pretty interesting article linking WR spending to better passing offense: https://overthecap.com/receiver-spending-and-pass-game-efficiency

The cutoff for low-spenders was 26M. 64% of those teams were in the bottom quartile of passing EPA.

The Bears are spending 10.6M on their WR group this season.

And now they just placed the up and coming Byron Pringle on IR!

12 minutes ago, Bfan said:

Based on some of the play calling this last week I'm beginning to think the staff has already moving to a two year plan with Fields.  I think they have found that last year was truly a wasted year regarding Fields development and they have adopted the Roethlisberger, Wilson, Brady development path of slow progressions with limited risk while winning what you can with the run game and defense.

Fields might surprise them and show faster progress once he has  completely exorcize the demons of  coaches past but for now I think Fields will not be put in many high pressure, high risk situations until he shows he can execute in low risk situations such as early game and reasonable down and distance.

Trent Dilfer surmised the same strategy too (7:10 mark).

Doing it the Wilson, Big Ben and Brady way of taking it slow and easing QB has worked and so has the Peyton and Justin Herbert way of throw them into the deep pool and swim way... of course, he noted, both have failed? There is no one golden way to develop a QB.  Other than a competent coaching staff and having a legit signal caller.  If you don't have both then nothing will work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FosterTheSkins said:

Trent Dilfer surmised the same strategy too (7:10 mark).

Doing it the Wilson, Big Ben and Brady way of taking it slow and easing QB has worked and so has the Peyton and Justin Herbert way of throw them into the deep pool and swim way... of course, he noted, both have failed? There is no one golden way to develop a QB.  Other than a competent coaching staff and having a legit signal caller.  If you don't have both then nothing will work.

Actually it was this Diller interview on the afternoon show of SCR yesterday  that got me thinking about this.

Edited by Bfan
  • Like 1

Is Fields the next Allen? Unlikely…but what this does tell us is you can’t form an accurate picture of a QB in such a sort time frame…if there is one thing worse than not finding a franchise QB it is finding one and not realising it then giving him away too early…ask Atlanta about that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Is Fields the next Allen? Unlikely…but what this does tell us is you can’t form an accurate picture of a QB in such a sort time frame…if there is one thing worse than not finding a franchise QB it is finding one and not realising it then giving him away too early…ask Atlanta about that.

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

he's not saying he's josh allen, he's just saying that sometimes guys need time to develop into who they could become, which is completely fair and reasonable. 

we all know fields has played like **** this season, and we all want him to be good. this fan base can be so toxic sometimes. why be cautiously optimistic when you can just be pessimistic instead?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

he's not saying he's josh allen, he's just saying that sometimes guys need time to develop into who they could become, which is completely fair and reasonable. 

we all know fields has played like **** this season, and we all want him to be good. this fan base can be so toxic sometimes. why be cautiously optimistic when you can just be pessimistic instead?

More so than that I just can't take anyone who has such a firm opinion on any of these moving parts from Poles to Flus to Fields to Getsy to anyone seriously right now considering it has been 3 games...I am not saying the opinion isn't valid or even that they won't turn out to be correct in the long run...just that there simply isn't enough data to form such a strong opinion on it...patience is not a strong suit among any fan base but it's just so over the top to rubbish any of these guys right now...be concerned about Fields play right now...I am concerned about his play right now...but it doesn't mean he has become some talentless hack overnight...the kid has clear natural talent...we just have to find a way to unlock it and that is going to take more than 11 starts & 3 under this coaching staff in this scheme with these players IMO.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

More so than that I just can't take anyone who has such a firm opinion on any of these moving parts from Poles to Flus to Fields to Getsy to anyone seriously right now considering it has been 3 games...I am not saying the opinion isn't valid or even that they won't turn out to be correct in the long run...just that there simply isn't enough data to form such a strong opinion on it...patience is not a strong suit among any fan base but it's just so over the top to rubbish any of these guys right now...be concerned about Fields play right now...I am concerned about his play right now...but it doesn't mean he has become some talentless hack overnight...the kid has clear natural talent...we just have to find a way to unlock it and that is going to take more than 11 starts & 3 under this coaching staff in this scheme with these players IMO.

What are the Bears doing to unlock Fields' talent?

They didn't make a strong effort to surround him with talent. They hired a playcaller with limited experience and a QB coach with almost none. They're not showing a lot of confidence in their gameplans.

I don't think many minds are settled on Fields right now. But beyond his play, the Bears' faith in him seems worse than anyone predicted. And that validates the vocal concerns about this regime's approach. The pundits said this was the wrong way to develop a QB and Fields looks worse than ever. The house isn't on fire, but there's plenty of smoke.

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

What are the Bears doing to unlock Fields' talent?

They didn't make a strong effort to surround him with talent. They hired a playcaller with limited experience and a QB coach with almost none. They're not showing a lot of confidence in their gameplans.

I don't think many minds are settled on Fields right now. But beyond his play, the Bears' faith in him seems worse than anyone predicted. And that validates the vocal concerns about this regime's approach. The pundits said this was the wrong way to develop a QB and Fields looks worse than ever. The house isn't on fire, but there's plenty of smoke.

They are letting the guy play...that is the first step in trying to unlock his talent...he needs reps...

There is a real mixture of bad play from Fields and not having top talent at the skill positions to try and make his job easier...it's difficult to say which one is more to blame right now...on some play's guys are open and Fields just isn't pulling the trigger...on others no one is able to get open...they all need reps and to understand how to over comes these issues...it will take time...I have not had much of an issue with how Getsy has called plays so far...a few here and there sure but overall I can't blame him for running the ball more when we are being so successful with it...

I also don't question the faith the FO or coaching staff have in him...that faith may have been shaking given his play but these guys are smart enough to understand nothing is set after 3 games...if we are still seeing this at the end of the season then of course things have to be viewed differently and action has to be taken...but right now I am not ready to form a strong opinion either way given the lack of game time...we need to let this play out.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

They are letting the guy play...that is the first step in trying to unlock his talent...he needs reps...

There is a real mixture of bad play from Fields and not having top talent at the skill positions to try and make his job easier...it's difficult to say which one is more to blame right now...on some play's guys are open and Fields just isn't pulling the trigger...on others no one is able to get open...they all need reps and to understand how to over comes these issues...it will take time...I have not had much of an issue with how Getsy has called plays so far...a few here and there sure but overall I can't blame him for running the ball more when we are being so successful with it...

I also don't question the faith the FO or coaching staff have in him...that faith may have been shaking given his play but these guys are smart enough to understand nothing is set after 3 games...if we are still seeing this at the end of the season then of course things have to be viewed differently and action has to be taken...but right now I am not ready to form a strong opinion either way given the lack of game time...we need to let this play out.

Any regime would let him play. That's literally the bare minimum for developing him. But what are they doing to support him? So far it seems like the plan is:

1. Limit his exposure by running the ball a lot.
  2. Get into heavy sets and use max protection to keep him clean.
  3. Run a lot of stretch bootlegs to get him on the move.

None of that is really working in Fields' favor so far. The heavy running hasn't allowed him to get into a rhythm. Many plays have 3 guys running routes and they're all covered. And the stretch action is mostly turning into QB runs. Fields' overall mechanics look completely out-of-sorts.

Getsy needs to prioritize getting Fields right. This is a rebuilding year. Treat it like one.