The Justin Fields watch thread

JAF-N72EX

Fields' stock is dropping. I think the best we could hope for is a 2nd round pick like the Cards got for Rosen.

That said. Option 3 and it's not even close.  

Take the 1st and move down.  If we get a top-5 pick I wanna trade down anyways (regardless of this hypothetical). 

We desperately need young talent and Fields was a better prospect than any QB in this class IMO.  If the FO wants to move on from Fields then wait until 2024 to get a QB.  Run with a stop gap at QB next year and use 2023 as a full rebuild to start putting pieces in place for the next QB so they are not walking into another disastrous roster.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Who is giving up a 1st rounder for Fields?

I'm going option 2 regardless. Take Bryce Young and see if a team would give up a 3rd rounder for Fields

you don't think there's a team - maybe the colts, bucs, titans, saints that look and say "JF had a ton of talent coming out of OSU, the bears are a mess and that's why he isn't performing, we can get him in here with 2 years left on his rookie contract and the bears picking up the guaranteed money, and lets see if this will work"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Fields' stock is dropping. I think the best we could hope for is a 2nd round pick like the Cards got for Rosen.

That said. Option 3 and it's not even close.  

Take the 1st and move down.  If we get a top-5 pick I wanna trade down anyways (regardless of this hypothetical). 

We desperately need young talent and Fields was a better prospect than any QB in this class IMO.  If the FO wants to move on from Fields then wait until 2024 to get a QB.  Run with a stop gap at QB next year and use 2023 as a full rebuild to start putting pieces in place for the next QB so they are not walking into another disastrous roster.

Teams pay a haul when trading up for a QB. Here's every top-15 QB trade from the last 10 drafts:

• Trey Lance - 1RP (3), 3RP
  • Justin Fields - 1RP (2), 4RP, 5RP
  • Sam Darnold - 1RP, 2RP (3)
  • Josh Allen - 1RP, 2RP (2)
  • Josh Rosen - 1RP, 3RP, 5RP
  • Mitch Trubisky - 1RP, 3RP (2), 4RP
  • Patrick Mahomes - 1RP (2), 3RP
  • Deshaun Watson - 1RP (2)
  • Jared Goff - 1RP (2), 2RP (2), 3RP (2) (Lost 4RP and 6RP)
  • Carson Wentz - 1RP (2), 2RP, 3RP, 4RP (Lost conditional 5RP)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

Washington gave a good amount for Wentz... Fields would fetch at least one first. Probably more.

We'll agree to disagree. Wentz has had good moments. Fields has not

For now I'll stick with option 2 unless I see a lot more from Fields for the rest of the year. Trading back to 9 and taking a receiver or DT isn't going to help if Fields sucks

Edited by beardown3231

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

ok, this hypothetical is not an indication that i am giving up on fields, just a thought.

Say we finish with the #2 pick, and a team like houston gets #1. Lovie ends up being lovie and they sign jimmy G and draft either Will Anderson or Jalen Carter. that leaves us with the unpicked DL or either QB. if you could trade Fields and (at least) get a 2023 #1 pick, would you?

Option 1 - draft potential DL stud (no WR or OL is worth the pick)

Option 2 - trade JF for a 1st, draft a QB (Stroud/Young), restart the rookie qb contract clock, use second 1st round pick for other help

Option 3 - trade back from #2 for a (potential) king's ransom for a team looking for a QB

3 in a crackhead heartbeat. 

At this point I haven't scouted any QBs but regardless I have seen nothing from Gesty and Co that they will allow a QB to thrive and develop. Not saying they can't do it but so far it is a terrible effort IMO. A big splurge in FA might be exactly what is needed but until it happens I don't care to throw Fields AND another 1st rounder down the drain. 

11 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

3 in a crackhead heartbeat. 

At this point I haven't scouted any QBs but regardless I have seen nothing from Gesty and Co that they will allow a QB to thrive and develop. Not saying they can't do it but so far it is a terrible effort IMO. A big splurge in FA might be exactly what is needed but until it happens I don't care to throw Fields AND another 1st rounder down the drain. 

I wholeheartedly agree here. There are a metric ton of holes to fill on this roster and we need blue chip talent in the worse way. Throwing another QB into this mess of a roster is doing them no favors and if Getsy really sucks we will be just repeating the same cycle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Teams pay a haul when trading up for a QB. Here's every top-15 QB trade from the last 10 drafts:

• Trey Lance - 1RP (3), 3RP
  • Justin Fields - 1RP (2), 4RP, 5RP
  • Sam Darnold - 1RP, 2RP (3)
  • Josh Allen - 1RP, 2RP (2)
  • Josh Rosen - 1RP, 3RP, 5RP
  • Mitch Trubisky - 1RP, 3RP (2), 4RP
  • Patrick Mahomes - 1RP (2), 3RP
  • Deshaun Watson - 1RP (2)
  • Jared Goff - 1RP (2), 2RP (2), 3RP (2) (Lost 4RP and 6RP)
  • Carson Wentz - 1RP (2), 2RP, 3RP, 4RP (Lost conditional 5RP)

That's why I'm all for trading down.  The only real problem I could see is finding a team willing to trade down for a QB in a semi weak class.

Houston and Carolina need a QB but will probably be drafting ahead of us, and maybe even the Colts and falcons. The Lions are a possibility but Goff isn't doing too bad and would we be willing to trade with a division rival and give them a chance at a franchise QB?  Saints need a QB but don't have a 1RP.  Dolphins lost their 1RP for tampering.  Steelers just drafted Pickett in the 1st.  WAS just traded for Wentz.  Cardinals just paid Murray. Broncos just paid Russ.  Raiders are a low possibility. They could trade Carr, save 30M, and go after a QB in the draft.  But this all depends on how McD feels about him.

The Titans and Bucs look like the most realistic options right now.  But this could all change by April.  You know how that goes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Speaking of Carr, he would be a good option as a stop-gap. I think he's a bit underrated.

Definitely. His average season would be one of the best in Bears history. 

Just looking for another reason to self-loathe, if he had these stats as a Bear:

Carr would have the top 6 passing seasons in yards for the franchise

1st, 2nd (tie) and 4th most TDs

1st-2nd, and 4th best QBR (min 250 attempts)

1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best completion percentage (min 250 attempts)

All in 8 seasons where he threw 250+ passes

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Definitely. His average season would be one of the best in Bears history. 

Just looking for another reason to self-loathe, if he had these stats as a Bear:

Carr would have the top 6 passing seasons in yards for the franchise

1st, 2nd (tie) and 4th most TDs

1st-2nd, and 4th best QBR (min 250 attempts)

1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best completion percentage (min 250 attempts)

All in 8 seasons where he threw 250+ passes

If the staff doesn't believe in Fields then let him go.

If Carr is available next year then sign him and draft a developmental QB in mid rounds and then draft QB in the 1st in 2024.

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

"Not bad for a running back." - Lamar Jackson

Actually just double checked and it would be 10 games out of 18.  6 last year and 3 so far this year.

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

And while I am crapping on the Bears and Fields' production I have no doubt other coaches and/or better rosters could be doing a LOT better with him too. Put him in 20 other teams as a starter and I think he is showing he is a legit starter. 

Agreed. Which is what really pisses me off.  Fields is no doubt the most talented QB we have ever had and it makes me sick to watch us ruin him like this.