GDT - Preseason Week 3 - Raiders

m haynes

7 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

it is the last preseason game 

I know but preseason is meaningless. There are no game plans, plays are called to see how players react as much as they are called to be successful. The Texans went 3-0 in the preseason, and it means nothing.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Anyone else concerned yet about our offense?

It’s late late August now…

I didn't stay up to watch. The team will go as far as the linemen take them. That doesn't look very far at the moment. Given the lack of depth across the league I don't think they will find anyone on cutdown day. 

We will see in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

Some of my jumbled thoughts: 

Offense: 

• Mac's head is all over the place.. he doesn't trust his OL at all .. looks like a major regression. That int was probably the worse one we've ever seen him throw. I'm not saying he's going to have a bad season but when you're seeing ghosts and running out of the pocket on one of the few times you have a nice pocket... not ideal. 
  • Montgomery being gone for awhile is a major loss.. he was going to see 8 targets a game as a check down king
  • Jacoby Meyers leaving is Mac's other security blanket .. hopefully he doesn't miss any time 
  • Trade Wynn, guy doesn't care .. and they will greatly need his 10M in cap space. Get a 5th and move on .. maybe Dallas gets desperate and gives you a 4th. 
  • Move Onwenu to RT and leave him there.. I would honestly put Chasen Hines at RG. From what I've seen this pre-season he's got a future.. if he was available day 1 of camp I think they would have already done this. 

I have a bunch of concerns about the offense.. I'd feel more comfortable if I understood the long term plan. I think we need to see how they do with game plans ... if they get dominated first 4 games then it's a whole different thing. 

Defense: 

• I hope they find a way to keep Ray and Roberts
  • This team is rebuilding.. cut davis/bethel and keep Schooler and Mitchell
  • I still don't understand what they see in Tavai 
  • Jack Jones probably won't play much till the second half of the season but I'm liking him more and more 
  • This team is going to really be hurting if McCourty goes down.. he's one of a kind 
  • I'd IR Mcgrone for a 2nd season and give him his final shot next year... but either way they will probably need to look for another ILB next draft to develop.

General: 

• They need to limited the outside zone.. it never works.. inside zone has it's moments 
  • Spread things out, quick passes so the OL doesn't have a chance to fall apart
  • The offense is going to need to be a rotation of quick passes with the occasional deep pass to keep the defense honest. 3-5 yard plays to RB/Meyers/Smith then PA into 20-30 yard throws. 
  • Feels like they are going to get behind a lot in the first half of games then we see them get back into it with no huddle most of the second half of games. They seem to do best in the hurry up offense ( quick, short passes). 
  • For the 2nd year in a row, I am really liking this rookie class, much more than I ever would have expected
    • Strange has rookie moments but looks like he will be good
    • Kody Russey has looked good in preseason games.. he looks like he could be a future Ted Karras if they find a way to keep him around
    • Chasen Hines I think will make a really good RG in the future. If you can lock up your future LG and RG in one draft that's really good.
    • Thornton has surprised us all .. if he can stay healthy he is going to be legit 
    • Marcus Jones and Jack Jones can both play
    • Zappe has his moments but for a rookie he's played very well.. backup QB for the next 3-4 years is set 
    • Strong has potential and shown some burst and Harris is looking good. The Montgomey injury may get them both on the roster
    • Sam Roberts is bursting with potential.. i would keep him on the roster .. he will block at least one kick a year
    • LaBryan Ray has played all over the DL.. he's not as explosive as I would have guessed (injury history) but he should stick
    • Schooler / Mitchell, Schooler especially looks like a great special teamer to keep around
Edited by Crimmage

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

he doesn't trust his OL at all

That is a major problem.  BB keeps trying guy that he's drafted and they are not cutting it. Yogi, Herron and "made of glass" Wynn. Also what the heck is he doing with Onwenu.  He was one of the best rookies in his class, a draft steal. Why not teach him one spot, stop with this versatility crap.  The kid hasn't been the same.

Sorry back to Mac, his 1st move check the OL the worst thing a QB can do.

Jacoby Meyers leaving is Mac's other security blanket

IMO this is a major problem. JM is your best WR.  Millons spent on that position and they average at best. Side note they take Strong when still on the board was Romeo Doubs ,Calvin Austin and Khalil Shakir. All burners!!!!  RB small school you get them later in the draft.

Trade Wynn, guy doesn't care .. and they will greatly need his 10M in cap space. Get a 5th and move on ..

IMO mI think you can get more. Read somewhere there are teams desprate for OL. I think they mentioned TB, Cowboys , Bears another team. Maybe they over paid with 4th and later picks.

I would honestly put Chasen Hines at RG

Exactly what I would do.

I still don't understand what they see in Tavai 

This it what drive me nuts. What are they watching??????  He's awful. Why are you playing him with the 1st team!!!

Strange has rookie moments but looks like he will be good

I hate the pick at 21. I don't see anything that show he's close to a 1st RD pick. They pass on Hill, Quay Walker, Tyler Linderbaum and George Karlaftis. Note Lindy a center however BB has shown he will move guy. Play him at OG. He was also considered one of the best OL in the draft,he was not a projected 4th RD pick.

Strong has potential and shown some burst and Harris is looking good.

I see Strong as a Jag show little. Harris is a better player and they got him in the 6th RD. Much better talent on the board. IMO this is a stat boy pick!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

One final note

If I hear they should keep a guy becasue he's a great ST guy I will blow a gasket. IE Mitchell over Robert. ST player have little value in today NFL. Baily can kick the ball out of the end zone EVERY TIME, He can hang a punt for 6 seconds or just punt it out of bound 50 yards down field.

Forgot    Brenden Schooler over Wade and Bledsoe!!!  You got to be kidding.

8 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Also what the heck is he doing with Onwenu.  He was one of the best rookies in his class, a draft steal. Why not teach him one spot, stop with this versatility crap.  The kid hasn't been the same.

Agreed, make him your RT and leave him alone for the next 5+ years

IMO this is a major problem. JM is your best WR.  Millons spent on that position and they average at best. Side note they take Strong when still on the board was Romeo Doubs ,Calvin Austin and Khalil Shakir. All burners!!!!  RB small school you get them later in the draft.

I believe the thought process here was they had too many WR's as it is. If you double dipped then you were going to have to redshirt one or trade a veteran making the group too young. The only way they grabbed another guy would have been if someone claimed Meyers I'm thinking. 

IMO mI think you can get more. Read somewhere there are teams desprate for OL. I think they mentioned TB, Cowboys , Bears another team. Maybe they over paid with 4th and later picks.

Totally possible, especially if someone is going to play him at LT. I tend to overrate trade value and given that he is owed 10M I think it may be tough to get a lot. If they can get a 3rd that would be AMAZING. I think that would mean 3 3rds next year? 

I hate the pick at 21. I don't see anything that show he's close to a 1st RD pick. They pass on Hill, Quay Walker, Tyler Linderbaum and George Karlaftis. Note Lindy a center however BB has shown he will move guy. Play him at OG. He was also considered one of the best OL in the draft,he was not a projected 4th RD pick.

I see Strong as a Jag show little. Harris is a better player and they got him in the 6th RD. Much better talent on the board. IMO this is a stat boy pick!!

- They traded back from 21 to get Strange :P

21 traded for 29, 94,121 if Strange and one of those other picks are good.. you made a good deal ( AND I HATE 1st RD Guard.. but with how bad the OL is .. Strange is going to be key to success)

- Strong has the speed and potential to be the next 3rd down back here. I think we give him time, especially coming off an injury. We can judge him next training camp. He has a lot of talent, if he can figure out blitz pickup he could be deadly on draws / screens /etc. 

- Harris playing well almost guarantee's Damien Harris going buh-bye next year.. prepare for your Damien Harris Comp Pick

One final note

If I hear they should keep a guy becasue he's a great ST guy I will blow a gasket. IE Mitchell over Robert. ST player have little value in today NFL. Baily can kick the ball out of the end zone EVERY TIME, He can hang a punt for 6 seconds or just punt it out of bound 50 yards down field.

Forgot    Brenden Schooler over Wade and Bledsoe!!!  You got to be kidding.

You don't keep a guy for reasons like that but if he can do both you totally make that happen. 

- Ray / Roberts need to make this team.. they can rotate in day 1 for a few snaps and could be key guys in the future.. you don't give up 3-4 years of cheap control for nothing

- Mitchell has done well on defense in the preseason.. he's worth it for his special teams value

- Schooler hasn't been awful at safety, albeit late in these games.. he's 100% worth taking over for Cody Davis