Update: Alex Leatherwood waived

RaidersAreOne

What would you do?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Try to find a trade partner, if nothing works then release him. Time to cut our loses.
    • Keep him and start him, and just hope he improves with playing time.
    • Keep him but purely as a backup. He hasn't earned a starting spot yet.

12 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

If we keep 9-10 o-linemen and we have 9-10 o-linemen that are better then him I get your point but you can not gauge his ability by only having him play out of position.  My point is he was not given a chance to compete if he was never allowed to lineup on the other side.

31 other teams all said no because of the money he was owed which we already guaranteed.  If he does not make another teams roster then I will say you are correct.

Unless he's picked up on waivers (unlikely) he's goes to someone's practice squad. 

He wasn't playing out of position. He played RT in college, converted back there last year, had an offseason, worked with a respected Oline guru and lost out in a 4 man competition at RT. 

If he had any value at LG/RG I assume the staff would try to salvage him. He didn't. He was not one of the top 9-10 Oline on the roster. He was routinely worked by guys who are currently getting cut around the league. 

He sucked. Didn't develop. Was a bad draft pick and now thankfully someone else's problem. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Everyone wants to cry about how Pleatherwood should have been tried on the left side or at G. A 7th round rookie stepped in and took his spot. Sometimes obvious things are obvious for a reason. 

Some of you just can't stand letting go of a bad draft pick. Accept Gruden/Mayock were trash and this was the clean up part of the new era. 

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Meh, even if it comes on, I strongly doubt it would have much to do with us. He simply wasn't good and made too many errors on the field. 

If someone else gets a good player out of him, they're either a wizard or just incredibly lucky. Either way, I don't see how he would've ever been successful here for many reasons, some under hso control, others not. 

I’m not a fan of him just think it better work cause he’s young iirc we’ve never seen him in a game on the left side. I just hate when we draft guys then play them out of position.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Meh, even if it comes on, I strongly doubt it would have much to do with us. He simply wasn't good and made too many errors on the field. 

If someone else gets a good player out of him, they're either a wizard or just incredibly lucky. Either way, I don't see how he would've ever been successful here for many reasons, some under hso control, others not. 

I will agree with you if they make him a good player on the right side but I will be very angry if a team just moves him to the left side and he is a brand new player. Then it would have almost everything to do with us.

36 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Unless he's picked up on waivers (unlikely) he's goes to someone's practice squad. 

He wasn't playing out of position. He played RT in college, converted back there last year, had an offseason, worked with a respected Oline guru and lost out in a 4 man competition at RT. 

If he had any value at LG/RG I assume the staff would try to salvage him. He didn't. He was not one of the top 9-10 Oline on the roster. He was routinely worked by guys who are currently getting cut around the league. 

He sucked. Didn't develop. Was a bad draft pick and now thankfully someone else's problem. 

He never played RT.  He played LT freshman year, then RG sophmore year, and then LT the next 2 years.  He was also an all american.

45 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Even if his technique improves, one thing no one has mentioned in a minute is how much of a flag magnet he was, and was at bama. Plain n simple. He personally killed several drives for us last year. 

This is an issue that he would need to work on but even with that he was not the worst lineman we had out there when account for talent also.

45 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Glad they let go of the dead weight. No more scholarships and it’s about dang time. 

He was an All-American on the left and we cut him after one year of playing really bad on the right.  A lot of players take more than one year to develop.  If it was one and done most players would not stick around very long.  My problem is not that I think he should have been given a roster spot or stayed on the right side.  It is that he was never given a shot to even attempt to play the position he played at an All-American level fortwo years in college.  Even if he is only a back up level LT his contract was already paid for and we need a back up LT.  Now if they thought he was just not capable of playing the position I understand but how do you make that judgement based up him never lining up on the left in the NFL game or practice and his top level tape from college.  I think has more to do with McDaniels trying to set a tone for the players.  Also why Mullen was traded for nothing.  He was making an example.  Now if he did this because he felt the players where not taking it seriously or thought they had an assured spot then go ahead.  But if he was just looking for someone to make an example out of the I do not agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

He never played RT.  He played LT freshman year, then RG sophmore year, and then LT the next 2 years.  He was also an all american.

My mistake. RG. Still, been on the right side. And I stand by the fact if he had anything to offer at LG, he'd have gotten a chance there. That position is in flux as it is. 

His issues are his hands. Lack of power and punch engaging defenders. Same issue he had at Alabama. He plays SOFT. That doesn't have anything to do with where you play him. He's cheeks.

Haven’t watched much pre season because I usually sign up for TV the day before the kickoff game, but man there is some horrendous lowlights of him getting destroyed with speed. It’s actually cringe to watch. Worse than Kwame Harris, which I didn’t think was possible. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Everyone wants to cry about how Pleatherwood should have been tried on the left side or at G. A 7th round rookie stepped in and took his spot. Sometimes obvious things are obvious for a reason. 

Some of you just can't stand letting go of a bad draft pick. Accept Gruden/Mayock were trash and this was the clean up part of the new era. 

This pick had Gruden written all over it. 2 straight years where they reached on guys in the 1st round.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

My mistake. RG. Still, been on the right side. And I stand by the fact if he had anything to offer at LG, he'd have gotten a chance there. That position is in flux as it is. 

His issues are his hands. Lack of power and punch engaging defenders. Same issue he had at Alabama. He plays SOFT. That doesn't have anything to do with where you play him. He's cheeks.

Not a big mistake.  He did win the starting RT spot his sophomore year but never played there because of injuries he kicked inside.  I do not think you can make an assumption of somebodies abilities to play on the left based upon their production on the right and vice versa,  Him never getting a down on the left is confusing.

For his game play you are stating my critiques of Leatherwood when we drafted him.  He flashed physical aggression but did not consistently play that way.  I said I wanted my RT big mean and nasty.  What made Leatherwood good in college was his foot movement and his ability to out position defenders.  You put him on the right where his footwork is awful and looks like he is trying to make left side movements.  We took away the best part of his game hoping he could adapt which was my biggest criticism of Cable.  McDaniels in and says see Cable was wrong so get rid of him without ever trying to fix the problem.  I stand by my perspective that somebody is going to get at least an average left side starter.  I could be wrong but all I have is my opinion because they did not even try it and that puts the new regime at the same level of stupidity as the last one when it comes to Leatherwood.  Actually the last one is worse because they did decide to draft him in the first but you get my point.

• Like 3