2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

From those highlights, Levis doesn't look special to me. He does a lot of Sam Howell-esque runs that probably won't translate to the NFL. He does have okay size but I'm not sure he is what is listed there at 6'3, 232.  So athleticism and arm strength don't seem special to me. He takes a while to load up on his throws. Maybe I still have PTSD from the Jamin Davis and Jeremy Jarmon selections and my anti UK player bias is showing! xD

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

From those highlights, Levis doesn't look special to me. He does a lot of Sam Howell-esque runs that probably won't translate to the NFL. He does have okay size but I'm not sure he is what is listed there at 6'3, 232.  So athleticism and arm strength don't seem special to me. He takes a while to load up on his throws. Maybe I still have PTSD from the Jamin Davis and Jeremy Jarmon selections and my anti UK player bias is showing! xD

I’m with you. I understand what RIP is saying about his potential but I just don’t see it right now. I’m kind of worried he’s the next Jake Locker. I’d definitely take Hendon Hooker over him.

25 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I like Levis but I got Ewers tattood on back earlier this season... soo shows what I know.

It’s a really hard position. And week in and week out they will make you look bad then smart. Young is the special player in the draft at the position. The issue is his size and durability for the NFL. 

58 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

It’s a really hard position. And week in and week out they will make you look bad then smart. Young is the special player in the draft at the position. The issue is his size and durability for the NFL. 

Qb’s you have to draw comps on. Like throwing motions arm strength play style and college systems. Who do they play like. What on film makes the guy special. And if you believe the guy is special why aren’t they winning? In college a lot of the best QB’s don’t always come in with a ton of wins against teams that are competing for the big bowls. I’m just going to use Levi’s to just explain what I see.

Levis I see as being misused alot like Justin Herbert and Dak Prescott(college comp). Two guys I didn’t like until the end of the process when I really determine if they fit the type of scheme I’m looking for MY QB to run. I see Levis being asked to play old school football and throw to spots. But WR’s on his team either due to coverage or simply not running the route the proper way he’s hitting his spots. he does throw the ball into coverage at times but he has confidence in his arm to squeeze. Good thing and bad thing. But what I see when he’s playing outside of Kentucky’s system is a guy that will kill you on PA boots and with his legs buying time to throw because he has NFL accuracy on the move.

Which is why football people are high on him. Levis has to clean up things and also will have to improve on things you already have tape of him doing and missing in college that means coaches can use his college tape within their system to demonstrate their ideas to speed his understanding and development. Levis doesn’t exactly have any guys close too the level of the guys protecting running or catching as the top two. Also this year Lentucky had a ton of turnover due to transfers and draft. I am comfortable with Levis. Am I in love with him? No. But it’s still very early. He’s the type of guy you want too see at the seniorbowl. That and interviews at the combine will be huge. Because the second he starts spinning it for coaches they are gonna drool. But if he plays in the SB and gets to play on a level field with good WR’s and OL play and NFL concepts and coaches that will PA and boot this kid and give him a TE he gets comfortable with and he will shine.

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

This is sure to jinx the kid, as the jinx has been strong whenever I try to be smug lately, but I will say that those of us who pounded the table for Justin Fields took an absolute beating around here when we played the Bears. And yet…

Justin Fields (last 6 games): 88/140 (62.9%), 1088 yards (7.3 Y/A), 10 TDs, 3 INTs, 99.6 rating, 602 rushing yards, 5 rush TDs

For reference, the passer rating is 8th in the league and the rushing yards are 2nd in the league (just behind Derrick Henry). By QBR, on a weekly basis over that span, he’s ranked 3rd, 23rd (against the vaunted Commanders D), 7th, 8th, 1st, and 8th. 

I said at the time that I felt as though missing out on a Fields trade-up would be the defining mistake of the Rivera era. For the next year-plus, that looked pretty dumb. The last month and a half, not so dumb. By the end of the year, it may look dumb again, who knows? But thinking about this roster with a young QB like that is a pretty exciting concept. We wouldn’t have Jamin Davis and Jahan Dotson, but we would have the picks and money we blew on Wentz to replace them. That would be a pretty fun team to dream on — I’m enjoying this group, but realistically, the ceiling remains very low because of QB purgatory. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This is sure to jinx the kid, as the jinx has been strong whenever I try to be smug lately, but I will say that those of us who pounded the table for Justin Fields took an absolute beating around here when we played the Bears. And yet…

Justin Fields (last 6 games): 88/140 (62.9%), 1088 yards (7.3 Y/A), 10 TDs, 3 INTs, 99.6 rating, 602 rushing yards, 5 rush TDs

For reference, the passer rating is 8th in the league and the rushing yards are 2nd in the league (just behind Derrick Henry). By QBR, on a weekly basis over that span, he’s ranked 3rd, 23rd (against the vaunted Commanders D), 7th, 8th, 1st, and 8th. 

I said at the time that I felt as though missing out on a Fields trade-up would be the defining mistake of the Rivera era. For the next year-plus, that looked pretty dumb. The last month and a half, not so dumb. By the end of the year, it may look dumb again, who knows? But thinking about this roster with a young QB like that is a pretty exciting concept. We wouldn’t have Jamin Davis and Jahan Dotson, but we would have the picks and money we blew on Wentz to replace them. That would be a pretty fun team to dream on — I’m enjoying this group, but realistically, the ceiling remains very low because of QB purgatory. 

Short sample size, but yeah maybe he's turned the corner. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I'm happy for Fields. He's been getting beaten up pretty badly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I’m just happy Jamin is looking like the player I thought he showed he was heading for his last year. Late bloomers scare me because I always worry they are just slower developers and that hurts twards maximizing them on a rookie deal or even keeping them after that contract in their best years click. I believe we will get our QB soon. But Taylor gives you what this staff has looked for in almost the KC mold of having Alex competing as you build and develop. That said Taylor is limited in that same mold. But if you can shape a roster and energize your players at the same time you are in good shape. It’s one game but the young home grown depth selected by THIS FO is seriously coming together. Still need more but this looks more like the team I thought we’d see by this point.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 8:55 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

This guy worth a middle first rd pick? Touted as the No.1 safety in the draft. 6’3” 200lb

He’s worth it, it’s just not as high of a need IMO. We have Forrest & Curl. Do we take a similar safety in round 1? It’s true we play a lot of 3 safety looks, I just think that DFo has shown enough to be our starting Fs, we have Butler developing behind him & then Curl is cemented in as our SS/Buffalo nickel.

So do you draft a #3 S in round 1 who’s another SS type more than a true FS?

Personally, I wouldn’t, although I do love the player.

22 hours ago, e16bball said:

I hated that we didn’t trade up for Fields & I still feel that Kyle Shanahan will regret taking Trey Lance over Fields. I felt that way during last years draft, and I still feel that way. Fields is still up & down as a passer but hopefully that continues to improve as the Bears add weapons around him like Chase Claypool & more next off-season.

Lance is more of a project that Fields. I still hope for Lance’s sake that the young ban comes back strong next year after breaking his ankle this year, but Fields over Trey Lance in the 2021 draft seemed like a no-brainer to me, and still does.

• Like 1