2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m still pretty much dead set on Bijan Robinson and Michael Mayer. I doubt Cam Smith, Porter Jr and Ringo will be available when we pick. It’s possible Sewell or Simpson will be but my guess is they don’t view LB as much of a vital need as we do. 

Id love to get an OT in the first round but this draft is oddly poor at the position. So while many wouldn’t be in favor of the two I suggested I think it’s extremely difficult to pass on Bijan if he’s there. Picking in the 20s is a good spot to take the best RB in college football. Hell, probably the best RB since Barkley if not Peterson. Just an incredible talent. 

I think one of those 3 CBs will be there & I think we should take them. If not, I’m totally down with Mayer or Bijan Robinson if Levis doesn’t really impress at the Sr. Bowl, Combine, Pro Day & Private Workouts.

Round 2, I’m pretty dead set on taking a C/OG type unless we didn’t take a CB round 1 & then I’d like to take one in round 2.

Edited by turtle28

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35152132/rose-bowl-agrees-amended-deal-paving-way-early-cfp-expansion?mkt_tok=ODUwLVRBQS01MTEAAAGIbOZQueWurpDWhAdSFXTKZz1bMxgMyFMH2Ced3J-LAi6gj9RVw3HvOO3cXAhB2Vi6LNJY7sNUEZ2l2uTELrU7bGBFsNi04wcAnIpzE2Fzz5qE

“Rose Bowl organizers agreed to terms that would allow the CFP to expand from four teams to 12 in 2024 & 2025, the final 2 yrs of the current contract, sources said, after the CFP's board voted in Sept to expand beginning in 2026.“

On 11/29/2022 at 3:50 PM, lavar703 said:

I’m still pretty much dead set on Bijan Robinson and Michael Mayer. I doubt Cam Smith, Porter Jr and Ringo will be available when we pick. It’s possible Sewell or Simpson will be but my guess is they don’t view LB as much of a vital need as we do. 

Bijan and Mayer have been my top two personal favorites in this class since early 2021, and Mayer actually since 2020. Are we close enough that we can sensibly choose such a luxury position? I just don’t know. But I won’t be sad if we take either — they can flat out ball. 

Ringo might be there for us in the 2nd as far as I’m concerned. His name is fitting today, because he’s getting beaten like a drum. Sewell might be there for the comp 3rd, I’d wager. He’s been awful.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Bijan and Mayer have been my top two personal favorites in this class since early 2021, and Mayer actually since 2020. Are we close enough that we can sensibly choose such a luxury position? I just don’t know. But I won’t be sad if we take either — they can flat out ball. 

Ringo might be there for us in the 2nd as far as I’m concerned. His name is fitting today, because he’s getting beaten like a drum. Sewell might be there for the comp 3rd, I’d wager. He’s been awful.

Per usual, same page! 

see you and me GIF

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think we can afford the luxury. There isn’t a QB worth picking and Gibson seems to be moving into the McKissic role which I wonder how much longer it will be before he’s a full-time receiver? Bijan and Brian would be quite the 1-2 punch. But I also love Mayer. He’s no Kyle Pitts but he’s just a great all around TE. Great blocker and tremendous hands. Kinda reminds me of a Heath Miller type. I would be so happy if either one were our pick. 

27 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think we can afford the luxury. There isn’t a QB worth picking and Gibson seems to be moving into the McKissic role which I wonder how much longer it will be before he’s a full-time receiver? Bijan and Brian would be quite the 1-2 punch. But I also love Mayer. He’s no Kyle Pitts but he’s just a great all around TE. Great blocker and tremendous hands. Kinda reminds me of a Heath Miller type. I would be so happy if either one were our pick. 

For me, Mayer’s footspeed is going to be one of my more anticipated combine numbers in recent years. I’ve mentioned for years that 40 time has a surprisingly good correlation with upside for TEs, and it would be a bummer if he runs a John Bates-like time. There’s just a limit on how dangerous a receiver you can be if you’re not able to at least run as fast as most LBs. 

If he runs down in the mid-4.6 range, he’s definitely a top 20 pick for me. Lower than that, he shouldn’t even make it to us. I think he’s better than Hockenson was, from a skills standpoint, so if he’s also a very good athlete — he should go high.

EDIT: I also think I agree with your analysis of the luxury pick. I just don’t see a ton of great fits for our needs in this draft. QBs probably gone, preferred OTs probably gone, preferred CBs probably gone, no real MLB, no super-stud IOL, etc. If there was going to be a time to indulge ourselves, this is shaping up to potentially be the draft.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

For me, Mayer’s footspeed is going to be one of my more anticipated combine numbers in recent years. I’ve mentioned for years that 40 time has a surprisingly good correlation with upside for TEs, and it would be a bummer if he runs a John Bates-like time. There’s just a limit on how dangerous a receiver you can be if you’re not able to at least run as fast as most LBs. 

If he runs down in the mid-4.6 range, he’s definitely a top 20 pick for me. Lower than that, he shouldn’t even make it to us. I think he’s better than Hockenson was, from a skills standpoint, so if he’s also a very good athlete — he should go high.

All of those mock draft simulators always have him available when we pick which I find crazy but who knows? My guess is Bijan would certainly be on the board when we pick and I just can’t even imagine the kind of Impact he’d have? He’s incredible to watch. So dominant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Sounds good BUT we’re  never bad enough or have enough draft capital to get a top QB. 

Exactly, which is always my point when people say “Just wait till 2024 & take Caleb Williams #1.” Well, I always ask them what’s their plan to get the #1 overall pick?

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

OSU should be in the CFP. Problem is they’re almost surely going to lose to UGA but hopefully that’s a good game.

Obviously this has changed! I’m looking forward to the OSU vs. Michigan rematch in the CFP. Hopefully in a month when the game is played on Dec. 31st, Jaxson Smith-Njigba, Trayvon Henderson & Miyan Williams are all healthy enough to play.

15 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Sounds good BUT we’re  never bad enough or have enough draft capital to get a top QB. 

Well yeah. At this point where we are in this build you can’t even hope for a bad season. I just want an elite QB on this team just once in my life. I’m 37 now and have never seen it. 

• Like 1