2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You should check out more of Mayer. Not saying you haven't watched him much but he's pretty incredible. He's not Kyle Pitts but he's probably just as good as Hockenson was coming out. I do like the corners in the draft although if we're going corner I'd like to get Porter Jr. 

Yeah, there’s a reason why they call him Baby Gronk. Logan Paulsen said on the radio he had Mayer rated higher than Hockenson.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Mayer is the best prospect in this class to improve the overall roster I completely agree I wouldn’t take any CB over him in this class. A dynamic weapon and inline blocking TE with our RB’s and WR’s and the importance of the TE position especially in this system that is the missing piece too this offense. Mayer, Turner and Bates would be crazy good as Turner starts gaining trust through the air. He’s looked good blocking this season that has been a surprise. Once he gains his feel in the passing game he will be a player for us as well

I’ve seen a mock - maybe PFF - have him go around #5. They had the Panthers taking him at #6 I think. So it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he’s not even available when we pick.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Yes.

Then I’m out on him. We don’t need another TE like Turner who’s forte is just receiving but struggles in blocking bc we have Turner. Just like we don’t need another TE who’s forte is clearly blocking but isn’t a dynamic receiver bc we have that in Bates.

If we take a TE it should be Mayer if he’s there for us or Darnell Washington in round 2 if he’s there for us. He’s the 6’7, 270 pound TE from Georgia. He looks weird on the field bc he’s this huge guy wearing #0. 😂 

On 12/5/2022 at 8:43 AM, MikeT14 said:

Yes, I agree.

Here's my issue with this. I think Mayer is benefiting from a weaker TE class. I'm not entirely sure he's a first rounder in many other classes. In defense, I have definitely watched less Notre Dame game this year. 

That said, someone like Dalton Kincaid is a similar type in later rounds. Whereas Mayer might be a decent blocker though, Kincaid is gonna need work there. 

Now... if you walked away with ... let's say Jalon Jones or Gonzalez at corner in the first and then maybe Mayer fell and you were able to trade up some to get him... that could be interesting. I don't think we have the picks to do that at the moment, but it all depends on value. 

I’m biased on Mayer because I fell in love with him as a freshman — was calling him Baby Gronk after the first time I saw him. I haven’t watched ND play but a single game all year, so I’m going to have to watch him a lot to determine if I think he’s a legit 1st round TE. I don’t think many guys are, but I do know at one time I was certain that he’d be one of them.

I do think it’s a good sign when guys jump off the screen at such a young age. Even if they plateau a little bit at the college level, I think those guys who popped as freshmen do tend to be good pros for the most part. 

As much as I love and have loved Mayer, I do have to admit that I think the kid from Georgia is going to be the better pro. Brock Bowers. That dude looks to have the speed that makes guys like Kittle and Waller so dangerous. When college teams are trotting out designed run plays for their TE, that’s a great sign that it’s a special talent with the ball in hands. 

• Like 2

On a broader look at the draft, ESPN had an article from Matt Miller where he laid out all the prospects he has with a 1st round grade at this point. He had 17. 

That’s about where I’m at with it. Behind Jalen Carter, Will Anderson, and the Young/Stroud duo, I’m really not impressed with this top 10. And I’m definitely not impressed with the group that will make up the 20s. If we can get out of this 1st round with someone from the group of Bijan, Mayer, Paris Johnson, Skoronski, or Porter — that would be a big win for us, I’d say. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I’m biased on Mayer because I fell in love with him as a freshman — was calling him Baby Gronk after the first time I saw him. I haven’t watched ND play but a single game all year, so I’m going to have to watch him a lot to determine if I think he’s a legit 1st round TE. I don’t think many guys are, but I do know at one time I was certain that he’d be one of them.

I do think it’s a good sign when guys jump off the screen at such a young age. Even if they plateau a little bit at the college level, I think those guys who popped as freshmen do tend to be good pros for the most part. 

As much as I love and have loved Mayer, I do have to admit that I think the kid from Georgia is going to be the better pro. Brock Bowers. That dude looks to have the speed that makes guys like Kittle and Waller so dangerous. When college teams are trotting out designed run plays for their TE, that’s a great sign that it’s a special talent with the ball in hands. 

Brock is going to be a top 10 pick though. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

On a broader look at the draft, ESPN had an article from Matt Miller where he laid out all the prospects he has with a 1st round grade at this point. He had 17. 

That’s about where I’m at with it. Behind Jalen Carter, Will Anderson, and the Young/Stroud duo, I’m really not impressed with this top 10. And I’m definitely not impressed with the group that will make up the 20s. If we can get out of this 1st round with someone from the group of Bijan, Mayer, Paris Johnson, Skoronski, or Porter — that would be a big win for us, I’d say. 

How do you feel about Drew Sanders? I think he’s going to be great. Now that he’s declared I’d include him on my Bijan/Mayer/Porter list. 

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

100 Percent Agree GIF by HBO

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

How do you feel about Drew Sanders? I think he’s going to be great. Now that he’s declared I’d include him on my Bijan/Mayer/Porter list. 

As a first round pick? Not sure about that. Also, I wouldn’t take a LB in round 1 or 2 unless we lose Holcomb in FA.

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’d genuinely never really seen him play (my Saturday schedule isn’t what it used to be, for better and for worse), and all YouTube has currently is his Texas A&M game and some clips from the Bama and Auburn game. Hopefully they’ll come out with more, because I know people like this guy. 

What I saw didn’t scream 1st round LB to me, personally. It looked to me like he’s at his best rushing the passer, with a little “young Cole Holcomb” vibe where he is most natural being aggressive and moving forward. To his benefit and sometimes detriment. He seems like a classic SLB to me, the kind of guy that will take on blocks and bang heads and give you a real threat to disrupt the passing game as an add-on rusher. But that’s all based off (at most) 1.5 games worth of plays, which isn’t nearly enough to draw any actual conclusions — at least for good but not great or terrible players, which is where I’d see him. 

If I’m going LB in round 1, given that we already have Jamin, I’d want it to be the Kuechly, Roquan Smith type of player that is the brain/heart in the center of your defense. I don’t know Sanders’s intangibles at all, but his game strikes me as more OLB than MIKE. 

• Like 1

Got a chance to watch some guys today. The pickings are still a little slim on YouTube for 2022 cut-ups, but of the CBs I was able to watch (primarily 2021 stuff), I actually like Cam Smith the best. He just moves like a football player, and he seems very much in control in man coverage. Very smooth, very fluid, physical without being too much, excellent work breaking on the ball. 

That’s not to take too much away from Porter, who is good in a lot of those areas too. But for me, I’d ding him a little because (a) he’s just too handsy for my taste and (b) his first move looks a little mechanical. Whether he’s on or off the line, he just seems a little stiffer and slower getting into his action. He doesn’t give ground as well when he’s off the receiver, and he seems a little upright and stand-still as he lets the guy eat up his cushion. 

Probably would be fine with either one where we’re going to end up picking. But if I had a choice, I’d go with Smith at this moment.

• Like 1

Mock from Tankathon. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, e16bball said:

Bowers is a unicorn. He’s an amazing player just different level of prospect over Mayer and Pitts because Bowers has the blocking and catching and route running and Yac and size to just impose on teams!!! Bowers is like a Sauce or edge just one of those rare non QB’s you’d trade up for in the first.

• Like 1