2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35235286/2023-nfl-mock-draft-todd-mcshay-early-first-round-predictions-31-picks-including-qb-landing-spots

21. Washington Commanders (7-5-1)

Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

Here come all the corners in a hurry! Washington moved on from the struggling William Jackson III at the trade deadline and now needs depth at cornerback. Ringo has the length at 6-foot-2 and man coverage skills to perfectly fit Jack Del Rio's defense and help boost the Commanders' takeaway count (seven interceptions this season, tied for 24th). He has great speed, and I'm expecting him to rise draft boards after he shows off those wheels at the combine.

On 12/13/2022 at 10:49 AM, MikeT14 said:

This would really be a nightmare outcome for me. 

1. Like Rivera, I’m squeamish about taking non-elite (think Sauce or PS2) CB prospects in the 1st. Just feels like a very hit-or-miss position with a lot of pretty quality talents often available on day 2 in particular.

2. I think we need a CB who has the ability to at least kick inside to play the slot, like Marlon Humphrey does for BAL. I think Ringo is a purely outside guy, and I’m not sure that’s a great fit.

3. I think Ringo is really overrated based on raw traits and playing with an all-time great defensive unit. It’s not that I don’t think he’s got potential, but I’ve just never really seen him demonstrate consistent coverage skills. It’s (comparatively) easy to play CB with a front 7 like UGA puts out there, and he’s still getting beat a lot. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This would really be a nightmare outcome for me. 

1. Like Rivera, I’m squeamish about taking non-elite (think Sauce or PS2) CB prospects in the 1st. Just feels like a very hit-or-miss position with a lot of pretty quality talents often available on day 2 in particular.

2. I think we need a CB who has the ability to at least kick inside to play the slot, like Marlon Humphrey does for BAL. I think Ringo is a purely outside guy, and I’m not sure that’s a great fit.

3. I think Ringo is really overrated based on raw traits and playing with an all-time great defensive unit. It’s not that I don’t think he’s got potential, but I’ve just never really seen him demonstrate consistent coverage skills. It’s (comparatively) easy to play CB with a front 7 like UGA puts out there, and he’s still getting beat a lot. 

Ya I don’t see outside CB as a first round need.  If they were going to take a defensive back in the first it would be better to get someone like that Alabama guy that can play both in the slot and FS. Honestly though I think Oline would be a much better pick.

Thought it was absolutely nuts to see McShay having Bijan go #5 overall. But I guess his reasoning isn’t that crazy — Sanders is a fine player, but if you could save some money and upgrade at that position, maybe you do it? Bijan might make that offense absolutely special, with that OL and the run threat with Hurts to open things up for him. 

But it’s also another indicator to me of how weak this draft is. McShay is not a “RBs should go high” guy, and he’s still got Bijan all the way up there — and Mayer at 12, the guard Torrence at 17, safeties Branch and Johnson at 18 and 28, and Jahmyr Gibbs also in the top 25. That’s a ton of non-premium positions creeping into the top of the draft, and that doesn’t even include a genuinely bad college QB in Anthony Richardson somehow coming off the board at 11. I love his tools, but holy smokes…he would have to be the most raw QB I’ve ever seen go in the 1st round. Ever.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya I don’t see outside CB as a first round need.  If they were going to take a defensive back in the first it would be better to get someone like that Alabama guy that can play both in the slot and FS. Honestly though I think Oline would be a much better pick.

I’d much rather go OL as well. 

There may not be a ton of value options if we end up picking around 20, though. McShay has Skoronski to IND at 7 (he’s also my favorite OT), Paris Johnson to PIT at 9, Broderick Jones to NE at 15, and O’Cyrus Torrence to NYJ at 17. 

After that, the only other OL he has in his top 50 currently are Minnesota C John Michael Schmitz (38), OSU RT Dawand Jones (43), and NDSU OT Cody Mauch (49). 

If it plays out like that, they may be hard-pressed to go OL, even if that would be their preference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

There may not be a ton of value options if we end up picking around 20, though. McShay has Skoronski to IND at 7 (he’s also my favorite OT), Paris Johnson to PIT at 9, Broderick Jones to NE at 15, and O’Cyrus Torrence to NYJ at 17. 

After that, the only other OL he has in his top 50 currently are Minnesota C John Michael Schmitz (38), OSU RT Dawand Jones (43), and NDSU OT Cody Mauch (49). 

If it plays out like that, they may be hard-pressed to go OL, even if that would be their preference.

That’s why I thought if it was possible to trade out of the first round I thought we should and build draft capital for the 2024 draft. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

That’s why I thought if it was possible to trade out of the first round I thought we should and build draft capital for the 2024 draft. 

I’d be good with that, for sure. 

Have to wonder who anyone would be trading up for, though. Would have to think if there was a quality QB or OL left on the board, we would just take them. Maybe a pass-rusher or a WR? I could see someone trying to make a move to snare Smith-Njigba if he made it that far down the board, a lot of people loved him coming into the year.

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

What about Jaelyn Duncan?

10 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I still think our first round pick will end up in Oakland for Derek Carr. Not a fan of it but that's my guess.