2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

I think Hurney and Mayhew have a history of ignoring CB in the first round and with the success of St. Juste they might look for someone later. The second tier of CBs I think is where the value lies - Clark Phillips III, Devon Witherspoon, Emmanuel Forbes. All three players were Consensus All Americans over the highly touted CB prospects. Id' look for one of those in the second round instead of gambling on a CB in the first. And just like the WR position, you are gambling when you draft a CB. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 8:20 PM, lavar703 said:

Watching the 49ers and man do we need to get some LBs. Maybe we take Trenton Simpson. 

Fred Warner was a 3rd round pick. Greenlaw was a 5th round pick just like Holcomb.

We need to take LBs for depth & development who we hope become starters but I don’t think we need to take any in round 1 or 2. 

You take a few guys in those mid rounds like many of us have been wanting to do for a few drafts who have the potential to be starters in the future, but as young LBs they’ll be backing up Holcomb & Jamin.

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

I think Hurney and Mayhew have a history of ignoring CB in the first round and with the success of St. Juste they might look for someone later. The second tier of CBs I think is where the value lies - Clark Phillips III, Devon Witherspoon, Emmanuel Forbes. All three players were Consensus All Americans over the highly touted CB prospects. Id' look for one of those in the second round instead of gambling on a CB in the first. And just like the WR position, you are gambling when you draft a CB. 

I’d hope they take a CB in round 1 if one is available for us there but I definitely agree that there’s some good value in round 2 & the mid rounds of the draft at corner. This isn’t a top heavy CB draft but it does seem like a deep CB draft.

Edited by turtle28

On 12/13/2022 at 10:28 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

Worth a late first rd pick? 

Depends what we do at QB imo. I assume they’ll re-sign Heinicke, they have Howell. Will they sign another FA to compete with them? What do they do with Wentz? Straight out cut him, does he take a pay cut to stay and compete with them?

Just so many unanswered questions at QB. If Wentz is cut & they don’t sign a FA QB and draft a QB higher, I’d definitely take a flyer on Richardson later in the draft.

On 12/15/2022 at 12:05 AM, e16bball said:

I’d much rather go OL as well. 

There may not be a ton of value options if we end up picking around 20, though. McShay has Skoronski to IND at 7 (he’s also my favorite OT), Paris Johnson to PIT at 9, Broderick Jones to NE at 15, and O’Cyrus Torrence to NYJ at 17. 

After that, the only other OL he has in his top 50 currently are Minnesota C John Michael Schmitz (38), OSU RT Dawand Jones (43), and NDSU OT Cody Mauch (49). 

If it plays out like that, they may be hard-pressed to go OL, even if that would be their preference.

That’s a good point. If there’s an OL worthy of taking for us when we pick in round 1, it’s probably the better pick. The question is will the good ones be gone?

OL could be a 2nd round pick for us whether that’s a C, G or RT (preferably C for me) then in round 1 you just take the BPA. 

• Like 1

• WAS
    R1: Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina

• WAS
    R2: Jarrett Patterson, G, Notre Dame
  • WAS
    R3 Comp: Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa
  • WAS
    R4: Devon Witherspoon
    CB Illinois

• WAS
    R5: Olusegun Oluwatimi
    OC Michigan

• WAS
  • R6: Rakim Jarrett, WR Maryland
  • WAS
    R7: Deuce Vaughn
    RB Kansas State
Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Fred Warner was a 3rd round pick. Greenlaw was a 5th round pick just like Holcomb.

We need to take LBs for depth & development who we hope become starters but I don’t think we need to take any in round 1 or 2. 

You take a few guys in those mid rounds like many of us have been wanting to do for a few drafts who have the potential to be starters in the future, but as young LBs they’ll be backing up Holcomb & Jamin.

I would've loved that but we took a backup DT for no reason. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I would've loved that but we took a backup DT for no reason. 

That back up DT may too become a starter eventually. If Mathis hadn’t gotten hurt he was going to be a key part of our DT rotation. He wasn’t a bad selection.

Also, we could’ve still taken a LB like Brandon Smith in round 4 instead of taking Percy Butler although Butler has been a special teams demon.