2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I really don’t see how it hurts the Texans. They’re still getting one of Young or Stroud. And I’m not sure there’s that much of a big difference between the two? 

We'll see in 10 years. It may end up like Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers or it may end up like Aaron Rodgers and Jason Campbell.

Not comparing their playing styles, but simply saying you never know.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

We'll see in 10 years. It may end up like Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers or it may end up like Aaron Rodgers and Jason Campbell.

But the Bears aren’t picking a QB and is someone really going to give up the draft capital needed to leap frog to one? I really like Young and Stroud but this isn’t an Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence situation. My guess is the bears try to trade the pick but end up taking Will Anderson or Jalen Carter. 

22 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I really don’t see how it hurts the Texans. They’re still getting one of Young or Stroud. And I’m not sure there’s that much of a big difference between the two? 

Arm talent there’s a huge difference between the two (Stroud has elite arm talent)  but, Bryce Young seems to have more of that special mobility/off schedule ability at QB.

If Bryce Young can stay healthy he’ll be a good/great QB but if he ends up battling injuries all the time like Tua, he won’t be. Bryce reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson & Tua.

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But the Bears aren’t picking a QB and is someone really going to give up the draft capital needed to leap frog to one? I really like Young and Stroud but this isn’t an Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence situation. My guess is the bears try to trade the pick but end up taking Will Anderson or Jalen Carter. 

I mean, if I was running the Bears, I might consider a QB if you believe they give you a chance to win the game vertically. Its clear that Fields is not a very good passing QB. He is absolutely above average (very good) at running the ball. Unfortunately he isn't even as good as Daniel Jones at the position and the Giants may still end up moving on from him.

If the Bears can get decent value for Fields, they should trade him ala Josh Rosen and draft their QBotF.

I doubt that happens though and they have much more pressing needs than the QB position. So its probably a mute point.

A lot to still unpack here, but here's a shot at it to start.

Coaching
1) Ron fires Scott Turner. Hire Bobby Slowick from the Niners to be OC. Doubtful we could get him with a lame duck coach, so I'll say an alternate is someone like Frank Reich.

Current Cap - $17.4 million

Cuts/Restructures
1) Cut Carson Wentz. So easy. No dead cap and saves $26.1 million.

2) Cut Logan Thomas, saving $5.2 million with a dead cap of $3.5 million.

3) Cut JD McKissic. I don't know that he's coming back from this injury and I don't think we need him truly. Post June 1 is dead of $500k and saves $2.75

Freed up $34.05 million at the moment, which should bring us to around $50/51 million

Resignings:

1) Resign Daron Payne to a 4 year $72 million deal/ 30 million signing bonus/ $35 guaranteed. I figure Allen is a good barometer to this. $18m AAV

2) Resign Wes Schweitzer to a 2 year $10 million deal. Swing inside guy. 

3) Resign Taylor Hienicke to a 2 year $12 million deal. This puts him Top 5 backup QB salary. A nice little payday. Has heavy incentives again too. 

4) Resign Cole Holcomb to a 3 year $12 million deal. 

5) Resign Tyler Larsen to a 1 year $2.5 million deal. 

6) Tender Wildgoose, Eifler, and Hudson

Notable guys I am letting walk:

1) Reaves - probably my only questionable one, but I like our safeties and I think he gets a nice deal somewhere to play more besides ST. He's earned it.

2) Cam Sims

3) Efe Obada

4) Trai Turner

Cap space

$22 million

I haven't looked into FA's much yet, but at least my draft could look something like:

Washington’s 2023 Draft picks

Round 1 - T PARIS JOHNSON JR., OHIO STATE - Could play guard too depending. 

(backup option CB JAYLON JONES, TEXAS A&M)

Round 2 - TE DALTON KINCAID, UTAH (backup option CB GARRETT WILLIAMS, SYRACUSE)

Round 3 (Traded to Indianapolis for Carson Wentz)

Round 3 (Comp pick for Brandon Scherff) - CB DJ TURNER, MICHIGAN 

(backup option: K.J. Henry, DE, Clemson)

Round 4 - Andrew Vorhees, OG, USC

Round 5 - Dee Winters, LB, TCU

Round 6 - Eric Gray or Evan Hull, RBs, Oklahoma/ Northwestern

Round 6 (Comp pick for Tim Settle) - Yaya Diaby, DE, Louisville

Round 7 - Puka Nacua, WR, BYU

At the 16th pick, what are our possible options:

- Trade out of the pick and build up draft capital for a qb next draft.

- Michael Mayer TE/Notre Dame #1 ranked TE

- Broderick Jones OT/Georgia, #3 ranked OT 

- Antonio Johnson S/Texas A&M

- Trenton Simpson LB/Clemson

- Quentin Johnson WR/TCU

- Kelee Ringo CB/Georgia

- Bijan Robinson RB/ Texas 

- Cam Smith CB/South Carolina

- Clark Phillips CB/Utah

- Anthony Richardson QB/Florida

- O’Cyrus Torrence OG/Florida 

I believe Skoronski and Johnson will be gone before we pick that’s why B. Jones is there  

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

At the 16th pick, what are our possible options:

- Trade out of the pick and build up draft capital for a qb next draft.

- Michael Mayer TE/Notre Dame #1 ranked TE

- Broderick Jones OT/Georgia, #3 ranked OT 

- Antonio Johnson S/Texas A&M

- Trenton Simpson LB/Clemson

- Quentin Johnson WR/TCU

- Kelee Ringo CB/Georgia

- Bijan Robinson RB/ Texas 

- Cam Smith CB/South Carolina

- Clark Phillips CB/Utah

I believe Skoronski and Johnson will be gone before we pick that’s why B. Jones is there  

QB Anthony Richardson and OG O'Cyrus Torrence should be in the discussion too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

I added them. 

The number 1 ranked guys at their position:

Michael Mayer

Bijan Robinson

O’Cyrus Torrence

At the 16th pick you can get the true best player at a position.  
It’s all a questimate. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

On 1/8/2023 at 8:45 PM, Slappy Mc said:

Yup. Even ONE spot I don't want to give up if I can help it. And for just such a reason.

12 hours ago, taylor made said:

AR needs so much work. You can't let this staff pick him. He'd immediately go from one OC to another after Rivera goes. I think it would be horrible for a guy who is far away from starting at the next level to be drafted by us. 

54 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

AR needs so much work. You can't let this staff pick him. He'd immediately go from one OC to another after Rivera goes. I think it would be horrible for a guy who is far away from starting at the next level to be drafted by us. 

This. We also need to really consider the fact that if new ownership is in place by the draft, they may not want to go QB this season because Ron will be on a shortened leash. This benefits Howell so much since he's already here. The only way I could see it otherwise is if they swing for the fences on something huge like moving up big time but that would cost a kings ransom. I am not the biggest Stroud fan in the world but if they traded up for him, I think he could work out well.

You can't go with a project like Richardson in the first round. Not this year with a shaky coaching staff rife with uncertainty.