2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I remember some bogus calls were made, but can't specifically remember which ones. But probably the same for both sides.

There were a couple bad PI calls that went NDSU's way, and something at the very end of the game but can't remember exactly what happened. I'm not much of a NDSU football fan, too many bandwagon fans that couldn't care less about them 15 years ago then all of a sudden were "die hards" when they started winning championships. 

Phoenix Sproles just transferred from NDSU to JMU as well, good luck with him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scott Land said:

There were a couple bad PI calls that went NDSU's way, and something at the very end of the game but can't remember exactly what happened. I'm not much of a NDSU football fan, too many bandwagon fans that couldn't care less about them 15 years ago then all of a sudden were "die hards" when they started winning championships. 

Phoenix Sproles just transferred from NDSU to JMU as well, good luck with him. 

Yeah. What's more frustrating is that year's JMU team was better than the one we had in 2016 when we won at the Fargo dome in the semis. Just couldn't believe we didn't spy Lance at all that game. Still am gobsmacked by the hubris of our DC

What's the deal with Sproles? On the outside, looks like a good pickup. But some NDSU fans on Facebook are saying he was a backup and "good riddance". Is that just sour grapes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah. What's more frustrating is that year's JMU team was better than the one we had in 2016 when we won at the Fargo dome in the semis. Just couldn't believe we didn't spy Lance at all that game. Still am gobsmacked by the hubris of our DC

What's the deal with Sproles? On the outside, looks like a good pickup. But some NDSU fans on Facebook are saying he was a backup and "good riddance". Is that just sour grapes?

From my experience with him, he thinks he's VERY important.  Him and Trey Lance lived together and there was a real funny tweet saying "Finally all of the incoming Freshman girls are safe" when they were both gone 😂.  He also thinks he's going to the NFL which, I think he has a better chance at a career on Tik Tok. He got benched this last year then said he was hurt and used a medical red shirt and hit the transfer portal. That's my understanding of the whole situation. I think he's a decent slot guy, gets hurt a lot, way too active on social media and seems to be a distraction. 

Just now, Scott Land said:

From my experience with him, he thinks he's VERY important.  Him and Trey Lance lived together and there was a real funny tweet saying "Finally all of the incoming Freshman girls are safe" when they were both gone 😂.  He also thinks he's going to the NFL which, I think he has a better chance at a career on Tik Tok. He got benched this last year then said he was hurt and used a medical red shirt and hit the transfer portal. That's my understanding of the whole situation. I think he's a decent slot guy, gets hurt a lot, way too active on social media and seems to be a distraction. 

Ugh...NOT good

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Every mock draft defaulting us to Corner is driving me insane lol. 

Agree. I don't see corner before rounds 3 or 4 if we do take one. Some of the young guys showed promise. Wildgoose, Holmes, Castro-Fields and young vet Danny Johnson . 

Well I ran a Mock Draft on PFF and this is what I came away with. Mind you, All the tackles I'm willing to take at 16 with Mayer on the board were gone and I was stuck basically picking between Christian Gonzales and Michael Mayer.

R1: Michael Mayer

R2: Kelee Ringo

R3: Andrew Vorhees

R4: Sedrick Van Pran

R5: Henry To'o To'o

R6: Tyler Steen

R7: T.J. Bass

R7: Camerun Peoples 

So a couple notes. I really want Paris Johnson and I'm simply not willing to take Broderick Jones over Michael Mayer. I think there's a massive difference in talent between Mayer and Jones and that disparity just wouldn't make sense reaching. So while I usually am not a fan of taking TEs in the first I think Mayer is so well-rounded that he will help out Sam Howell so much. Ringo just happened to be there. I wouldn't have taken him because of his major struggles but the talent is there and its hard to pass up at that point. Vorhees and Van Pran are both guys I targeted before I started this mock and was happy to get both but I was still very bummed not to get Paris Johnson to pair with them. 

As far as the players I wanted but missed out on, Paris Johnson is at the top of the list however Tyjae Spears was someone I badly wanted in the middle rounds and thought I would be able to land him but he was gone by the 5th round. I think if you haven't watch Spears play you should check him out. I think you'll be impressed. I did want to take a QB late but nothing available made me willing to pass on the depth that Steen and Bass would provide. So with that said, I accomplished what I wanted to albeit with some different picks at those positions. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 9:26 AM, lavar703 said:

I promise you Lavar if we were to select Devon Witherspoon or Christian Gonzolez you’d be elated. These guys are super physical but have amazing hips for their size big time ball skills and and clean hands while the ball is in the air. Aren’t grabby and just have that dog mentality. Most importantly and best of all can play in zone or man and will be great in any scheme. So we can’t knock coaches or play them out of position cause they could play box saftey deep saftey #1 CB or the nickle.

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 9:26 AM, lavar703 said:

Why? We certainly could use a huge upgrade at CB. It’s the 2nd weakest position on the team behind OL. If a CB is available at 16 who’s a better prospect than the OL who are available at 16 then we should take the CB at 16 and address OL in rounds 2 and later.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:48 AM, lavar703 said:

Well I ran a Mock Draft on PFF and this is what I came away with. Mind you, All the tackles I'm willing to take at 16 with Mayer on the board were gone and I was stuck basically picking between Christian Gonzales and Michael Mayer.

R1: Michael Mayer

R2: Kelee Ringo

R3: Andrew Vorhees

R4: Sedrick Van Pran

R5: Henry To'o To'o

R6: Tyler Steen

R7: T.J. Bass

R7: Camerun Peoples 

So a couple notes. I really want Paris Johnson and I'm simply not willing to take Broderick Jones over Michael Mayer. I think there's a massive difference in talent between Mayer and Jones and that disparity just wouldn't make sense reaching. So while I usually am not a fan of taking TEs in the first I think Mayer is so well-rounded that he will help out Sam Howell so much. Ringo just happened to be there. I wouldn't have taken him because of his major struggles but the talent is there and its hard to pass up at that point. Vorhees and Van Pran are both guys I targeted before I started this mock and was happy to get both but I was still very bummed not to get Paris Johnson to pair with them. 

As far as the players I wanted but missed out on, Paris Johnson is at the top of the list however Tyjae Spears was someone I badly wanted in the middle rounds and thought I would be able to land him but he was gone by the 5th round. I think if you haven't watch Spears play you should check him out. I think you'll be impressed. I did want to take a QB late but nothing available made me willing to pass on the depth that Steen and Bass would provide. So with that said, I accomplished what I wanted to albeit with some different picks at those positions. 

I like you’re mock, but I also have to say that while I like Paris Johnson better, I also do like Broderick Jones and I’d take him at 16. Either player would be a day 1 starter at either OG or OT spot. 

pfn-logo-black
  • WAS
    Peter Skoronski
    OT Northwestern

• WAS
    Michael Mayer
    TE Notre Dame
    trade icon
  • WAS
    Luke Wypler
    OC Ohio State
    trade icon