2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

20 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’ve been looking at some stuff and it’s kinda crazy how close this team was to being able to pick greatness at QB

Dan Marino pick 27 and we picked 28 (Darrell Green)

Aaron Rodgers pick 24 and we picked Jason Campbell at 25…I know we had pick 9 as well

Andrew Luck picked 1st. We took RG3 at 2. 

Joe Burrow picked first. We took Chase Young at 2. 

And the craziest of all. Tom Brady picked 199 and then we took Todd Husak at 202 lol

This is all too true, but I think it is only relevant at the top of the draft when the front office feels compelled to make the pick because it seems like the obvious choice.  Otherwise they are required to be insightful and special at their jobs.

We passed on Brady 5 times during that draft.  The front office and coaching staff matters.  Cowboys got beat last night by Brock Purdy.  We passed on him with every pick we had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

This is all too true, but I think it is only relevant at the top of the draft when the front office feels compelled to make the pick because it seems like the obvious choice.  Otherwise they are required to be insightful and special at their jobs.

We passed on Brady 5 times during that draft.  The front office and coaching staff matters.  Cowboys got beat last night by Brock Purdy.  We passed on him with every pick we had.

Every team in the league passed on Brady 5 times except the Pats who took him as a guy they thought would be their #3 QB for most of his career & hopefully develop into Bledsoe’s top back up.

Same goes for Brock Purdy, every team but the 49ers passed on him 6th times & some maybe more times than that depending on how many picks they had.

If we had taken Purdy he wouldn’t have started for us until maybe week 18 when we were eliminated from the playoffs. I know Purdy has been steady & not lost them games, but we have to remember that if Trey Lance & Jimmy G hadn’t been lost for the year, Purdy wouldn’t have played a down for the 49ers all year unless it was like week 18 and they were resting starters bc they had clinched the division & their playoff spot.

We took Sam Howell over Purdy who has more natural talent, he’s more athletic & has a stronger arm. What I’m interested in is can  Sam Howell develop over the next 6 months to be our definite starter come the time training camp starts & be as steady as Purdy has been but make a few wow plays like he did vs the Cowboys in week 18.

As I pointed out in another thread, Terry & Dotson uncharacteristically dropped balls vs the Cowboys. If they hadn’t Howell goes for 13/19, 68%, 219 yards at the least, a passing TD & a rushing TD at the least bc of Dotson & Terry hadn’t dropped their passes those two drives are extended which means more attempts for Sam.

My buddy is a Georgia fan.

And we were watching a Georgia game one Saturday & he said, take a look at this TE.

The dude was fast & like 6'7" or 6'8"....I kid you not.

I don't remember his name, or if he was a junior, or Senior.

But I said to him. This dude is uncoverable.

That's the dude I want. Lol

13 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

We have to go OT early. Move Cosmi inside and if he still can't stay healthy, move on. We could use upgrades at every position on the OLine, with LT being the least necessary due to Leno's decent play.

You had me nodding my head in agreement up until the bolded. Leno is not good. We should be looking for bookend Tackles this offseason anywhere we can get them. Leno, at this point in his career, should be depth. Not a starter.

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

My buddy is a Georgia fan.

And we were watching a Georgia game one Saturday & he said, take a look at this TE.

The dude was fast & like 6'7" or 6'8"....I kid you not.

I don't remember his name, or if he was a junior, or Senior.

But I said to him. This dude is uncoverable.

That's the dude I want. Lol

I know who you're talking about and I can't remember his name, but he's not coming out this year. Next year, I want him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Every team in the league passed on Brady 5 times except the Pats who took him as a guy they thought would be their #3 QB for most of his career & hopefully develop into Bledsoe’s top back up.

Same goes for Brock Purdy, every team but the 49ers passed on him 6th times & some maybe more times than that depending on how many picks they had.

If we had taken Purdy he wouldn’t have started for us until maybe week 18 when we were eliminated from the playoffs. I know Purdy has been steady & not lost them games, but we have to remember that if Trey Lance & Jimmy G hadn’t been lost for the year, Purdy wouldn’t have played a down for the 49ers all year unless it was like week 18 and they were resting starters bc they had clinched the division & their playoff spot.

We took Sam Howell over Purdy who has more natural talent, he’s more athletic & has a stronger arm. What I’m interested in is can  Sam Howell develop over the next 6 months to be our definite starter come the time training camp starts & be as steady as Purdy has been but make a few wow plays like he did vs the Cowboys in week 18.

As I pointed out in another thread, Terry & Dotson uncharacteristically dropped balls vs the Cowboys. If they hadn’t Howell goes for 13/19, 68%, 219 yards at the least, a passing TD & a rushing TD at the least bc of Dotson & Terry hadn’t dropped their passes those two drives are extended which means more attempts for Sam.

And...it should be noted...that those balls they dropped were perfectly placed. They weren't trying to catch poorly thrown passes.

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

You had me nodding my head in agreement up until the bolded. Leno is not good. We should be looking for bookend Tackles this offseason anywhere we can get them. Leno, at this point in his career, should be depth. Not a starter.

Considering the state of the oline, he can be not good and still the best of the bunch. 

The whole line needs an upgrade for sure. We need the hogs back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Actually the patriots passed on Brady 6 times in that draft :)

I'm just saying that if you are lucky enough to have someone with vision you don't need an early pick.  But that is a rare occurrence so luck seems to steer the ship.  Even the 49ers and Shanahan, great coach he may be, are still blind.  They threw 3 1st round picks at lance.  What a disaster.  Purdy coming to them was only luck and Shanahan seems to be a good enough coach that he pulls the best out of every qb.

I am open to giving howell a shot.  He flashed a bit during that game, but I  am not getting ahead of ourselves based upon that game.  I think you have suggested it yourself and I hope we just keep drafting qbs in mid and later rounds and find coaches who work to get the best out of them.  Unless we get a top pick, I think we should be patient.  Just look how much we accomplished with Heinicke.  

Assuming there are no trades here is my current Mock. I used PFF

1,16 Peter Skoronski Northwestern LT- he is a plug and play IMO, I like him and Paris the most at tackle in this draft. This gives us a few options. We could cut Leno saving 8 mill or do a restructure and try him at RT while moving Cosmi to Guard.

2,47 Jack Campbell Iowa LB- once again I see him as another plug and play, with Holcomb being a free agent he could come in and start or depending on the price of Holcomb if resigned we would finally have a little LB depth with Holcomb, Jami, and Campbell

3,97 Andrew Vorhees USC OG- he can be our future or potential RG depending if Cosmi stays at tackle or not. If he can take a starting spot and Cosmi can move to guard it could allow us to save even more cap space saving around 2.5 mill by cutting Norwell

4,119 Kyu Blu Kelly Stanford CB- I really don’t think we need a new starting CB with having Fuller and Juste but we definitely need more depth and he fits the bill

5,152 Henry To’o To’o Alabama LB- I’ve seen him go early and late and for PFF this is the range he is in. This is mostly a depth signing with start potential. It makes Holcomb walking (if he does) easier to swallow

6,193 Will Mallory Miami TE- to me this is my sleeper, Mallory was pretty elite starting his career at Miami, but bad QB play saw him drop off a bit. I honestly think he could be a starter down the road. Who knows what we do with Thomas. Restructure, cut, or keep, but I actually like the depth at TE

6,215 Max Duggan TCU QB- I think we sign a vet on a 1 year deal to backup Howell and I Know I’ll get some slack for this pick, but the guys a leader and can ball. People may say he isn’t ready for the NFL bc of the championship game, but you have a team 5 stars at Georgia vs a huge underdog at TCU. The Conley I’ve balance was no where even to begin with.

7,235 Caleb Murphy Indiana C- I think Roullier either restructures or gets cut. His cap hit is huge and we could save a ton walking away. This is a depth signing with the plan being to restructure Roullier or either cut and upgrade C in FA

Once again this is before FA, but I would be pretty happy with this mock. Vastly upgrading OL and the LB position while gaining solid depth among others