2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Also, if we're bad enough to pick in the top 5 or top 3 even, can you pass on Stroud or Young? 

No.

I haven’t watched enough Levis to know if I’d take him in the top 5, but he’d be another consideration for me on top of those two.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

So do we pass on Will Anderson if he's available when we pick?

Yes, because of above.

We did the DE over QB thing once recently, and it didn’t work out so great. Doesn’t mean it’s always the wrong call, but it’s instructive. At the end of the day, you either have your QBOTF or you don’t. And if you don’t, then your draft decision-making process has to start with “is there a guy I think could be The Guy™️?” And only after you’ve decided “no” on that question do you move on to “who’s the BPA for us at the other positions?”

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, e16bball said:

No.

I haven’t watched enough Levis to know if I’d take him in the top 5, but he’d be another consideration for me on top of those two.

Yes, because of above.

We did the DE over QB thing once recently, and it didn’t work out so great. Doesn’t mean it’s always the wrong call, but it’s instructive. At the end of the day, you either have your QBOTF or you don’t. And if you don’t, then your draft decision-making process has to start with “is there a guy I think could be The Guy™️?” And only after you’ve decided “no” on that question do you move on to “who’s the BPA for us at the other positions?”

I should've clarified this one better E. Will Anderson was meant more as a Stroud, Young, Levis all gone scenario. Or do we pass on Anderson and take Ringo? Not sure I could

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I should've clarified this one better E. Will Anderson was meant more as a Stroud, Young, Levis all gone scenario. Or do we pass on Anderson and take Ringo? Not sure I could

Ah, gotcha.

Anderson over Ringo for me all day. I’m not sold on Ringo. Good athlete, very well-coached, but…man, he gets beat a fair amount for a guy playing behind that DL. It’s not fair to hold everyone to the “Sauce Standard,” but if I’m taking a CB in the top 5, I’d like to see him absolutely smothering guys in college — and I don’t get that from Ringo. At least I didn’t last year, I’ve only seen him play Oregon so far this year. 

I think Will Anderson is really good. He reminds me of Chase Young in a number of ways, with a better (elite elite) first step and probably a little more bend, although the more I watch him — and the more he bulks up to play true DE, I’d assume — the more he has a little bit of that same upright and stiff style that we see with Chase. Seems to have sacrificed a little fluidity as he’s gotten bigger.

I’d probably be looking to trade down for some serious loot if Anderson got to us, but I’d take him if the price wasn’t right and he was my BPA. You just have to trade Sweat then, but that’s okay. People will pay a solid price for an athlete like that with at least some history of production as a DE. 

There a couple things that are a shame in this draft. 

One is the lack of an elite OT prospect. We could use our successor to Trent and Samuels, but I’m not sure I see a great bet for that in this group.

It seems like they’re trying to make Paris Johnson from OSU a thing, but I definitely didn’t see it against Notre Dame. People made a big deal out of Foskey having a very quiet night, but I think it was more about scheme and moving the QB than Paris actually handling him. Not convinced by that effort, anyway.

Peter Skoronski from Northwestern is the other guy people seem to like, he seems very solid to me, but it feels like there’s not a ton of athletic projection there. He doesn’t seem to wow in any area physically, whether with size or mobility or strength. Extremely solid pass pro though. It’s hugely noticeable next to the rest of their OL, which has mostly been terrible. Reminds a little of watching Cole Strange blocking next to the rest of the Chattanooga line. 

It’s also a shame that, once again, there’s not really an elite MLB or FS prospect emerging. We could desperately use one of the two, and I think we currently look destined to be selecting in the general range where such players tend to come off the board. 

The last thing I think is a shame is that we are in a position where we have too many dire needs at too many important positions to really pull the trigger on a couple of my favorite “luxury” picks in Bijan Robinson and Michael Mayer. Loved both of these guys forever. I think Bijan is going to be an Alvin Kamara type  weapon, and Mayer has it all. Total package TE, but I don’t see how we take a TE when we seem to need OL, LB, and secondary help so badly (not to mention QB). 

• Like 4

On 9/28/2022 at 2:24 PM, e16bball said:

There a couple things that are a shame in this draft. 

One is the lack of an elite OT prospect. We could use our successor to Trent and Samuels, but I’m not sure I see a great bet for that in this group.

It seems like they’re trying to make Paris Johnson from OSU a thing, but I definitely didn’t see it against Notre Dame. People made a big deal out of Foskey having a very quiet night, but I think it was more about scheme and moving the QB than Paris actually handling him. Not convinced by that effort, anyway.

Peter Skoronski from Northwestern is the other guy people seem to like, he seems very solid to me, but it feels like there’s not a ton of athletic projection there. He doesn’t seem to wow in any area physically, whether with size or mobility or strength. Extremely solid pass pro though. It’s hugely noticeable next to the rest of their OL, which has mostly been terrible. Reminds a little of watching Cole Strange blocking next to the rest of the Chattanooga line. 

It’s also a shame that, once again, there’s not really an elite MLB or FS prospect emerging. We could desperately use one of the two, and I think we currently look destined to be selecting in the general range where such players tend to come off the board. 

The last thing I think is a shame is that we are in a position where we have too many dire needs at too many important positions to really pull the trigger on a couple of my favorite “luxury” picks in Bijan Robinson and Michael Mayer. Loved both of these guys forever. I think Bijan is going to be an Alvin Kamara type  weapon, and Mayer has it all. Total package TE, but I don’t see how we take a TE when we seem to need OL, LB, and secondary help so badly (not to mention QB). 

Trenton Simpson, Noah Sewell and Henry To’oTo’o are pretty good. Not elite but worth a pick in that 10-15 range. 

If avalible my pick would be Will Levis. If not avalible sadly as E pointed out of all the positions you want CB LT your not gonna get the value so I’d look seriously long and hard at Edge and really you have to take the best player. I think Levis just has the toolbox and build and toughness I’d want though I love young he’s tough and exciting. Stroud is a stud too I’d prefer Levis though

33 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

If avalible my pick would be Will Levis. If not avalible sadly as E pointed out of all the positions you want CB LT your not gonna get the value so I’d look seriously long and hard at Edge and really you have to take the best player. I think Levis just has the toolbox and build and toughness I’d want though I love young he’s tough and exciting. Stroud is a stud too I’d prefer Levis though

Levis over Stroud? I don’t see it.