2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I gotta say I’m not crazy about Porter JR. Give me Gonzalez or Witherspoon. I have higher grades on those two than any of the OL in this class. I’d go CB and round 2 go OL because I have a ton of guys cluttered in that range. Heck I’d probably go OL with 2 out of my top 3 picks but I do love my top two guys. And in this class there’s not a ton of players I love but there are alot of players I really like. Basically I have a ton of guys I’d love to get late first early second you probably have some of them avalible early 3rd. But as far as first round picks man outside of Mayer, Robinson, and a few edges these top CB’s are the only guys I have graded there besides Bryce young and Stroud. And I still like Levis because he has the tools and no help in Kentucky. But I’d be jumping up and dow to get one of these CB’s because they are crazy physical and I love a dog outside!!

If we're taking a corner in the first I want Gonzalez. Outside of that I'm going Torrence or Mayer. Maybe Dawand Jones or Jaelyn Duncan if we trade down. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If we're taking a corner in the first I want Gonzalez. Outside of that I'm going Torrence or Mayer. Maybe Dawand Jones or Jaelyn Duncan if we trade down. 

Ideally, trade down 4 spots, get Torrence with #20, pick up a 3rd rounder and ****** Avila with it for center.  Keep Lucas and Leno, and drop Roullier, Turner and Norwell.  That just leaves LG to be sorted out.  Won't be hard to find someone better than we had.

13 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I gotta say I’m not crazy about Porter JR. Give me Gonzalez or Witherspoon. I have higher grades on those two than any of the OL in this class. I’d go CB and round 2 go OL because I have a ton of guys cluttered in that range. Heck I’d probably go OL with 2 out of my top 3 picks but I do love my top two guys. And in this class there’s not a ton of players I love but there are alot of players I really like. Basically I have a ton of guys I’d love to get late first early second you probably have some of them avalible early 3rd. But as far as first round picks man outside of Mayer, Robinson, and a few edges these top CB’s are the only guys I have graded there besides Bryce young and Stroud. And I still like Levis because he has the tools and no help in Kentucky. But I’d be jumping up and dow to get one of these CB’s because they are crazy physical and I love a dog outside!!

Well this draft class is loaded in the 10-25 range for corner backs so while I'm usually against taking a cornerback in the first round I think it'd be OK this year. But I would not pass on Skoronski or Paris Johnson, Jr. if one of those fell over any of the cornerbacks in this draft. If O'Cyrus's draft stock rises too then you have a tough decision as well because I think O'Cyrus could potential day 1 starter at RG and that makes a lot of sense to me. 

55 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Well this draft class is loaded in the 10-25 range for corner backs so while I'm usually against taking a cornerback in the first round I think it'd be OK this year. But I would not pass on Skoronski or Paris Johnson, Jr. if one of those fell over any of the cornerbacks in this draft. If O'Cyrus's draft stock rises too then you have a tough decision as well because I think O'Cyrus could potential day 1 starter at RG and that makes a lot of sense to me. 

Plus he’s a senior bowl guy. They love picking senior bowl guys. You’d have to think O’Cyrus is high on their list. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Plus he’s a senior bowl guy. They love picking senior bowl guys. 

Do they? I know last year w/ Mayhew they they changed their draft philosophy a little bit to focus on older players. (Which I think is generally dumb) But before that I didn't think they picked many Senior Bowl players. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I know man lol. Mayer is my top guy. I can’t move myself off of that pick yet. I just think he’s going to be another Mark Andrews/Jason Witten type. Plus he’s an excellent blocker. 

They gave him a Chris Cooley comp. I like Mayer, if you watch any of his interview he seems like a good character person too. I really hope he crushes the combine naysayers and show great athleticism. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Do they? I know last year w/ Mayhew they they changed their draft philosophy a little bit to focus on older players. (Which I think is generally dumb) But before that I didn't think they picked many Senior Bowl players. 

Standig has talked about it a few times. Brian Robinson, BSJ, Shaka Toney, Cam Cheeseman, John Bates, P Mathis, Chris Paul, Sam Howell and Cole Turner. 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 8:06 PM, taylor made said:

Scott McCloughan said this best. The value of a player and their experience at the most competetive level is so valueable to their transition. Also he said it speaks to the fact that they honored their commitment they made to the university that brought them in and gave them the tools to refine and grow at their craft. I’ve always been a guy pounding for the guys at the seniorbowl. I think it’s just a once in a lifetime scouting opportunity. And you see guys who have shown grit a toughness for years on less talented rosters finally playing beside a level opponent and having similar level teamates and you really see what they can do. 

It’s happened year after year guys go to the seniorbowl and really solidify their confidence that they have what it takes reguardless of where they get selected. It’s one thing to rise at the combine for being an elite level athlete. But it’s another to lace up the pads and gear and stand out and gauge yourself against guys you have seen going rounds above your projections. Just look at the narrative of this draft before this game. We all knew the defensive from and edges in this class. But this was considered a weaker OL class. Then the game plays and the OL prospects shined against the Defensive guys. Now teams have to go back and highlight guys like the SC CB and the Kansas edge and Bowling green DT/Edge and all these OL. Tajee Spears and Lamb and the MD CB. The Stanford WR. All the TE’s had moments. The Miami TE looked way better than his scouting report from the experts. The shrine bowl and SB are huge

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Scott McCloughan said this best. The value of a player and their experience at the most competetive level is so valueable to their transition. Also he said it speaks to the fact that they honored their commitment they made to the university that brought them in and gave them the tools to refine and grow at their craft. I’ve always been a guy pounding for the guys at the seniorbowl. I think it’s just a once in a lifetime scouting opportunity. And you see guys who have shown grit a toughness for years on less talented rosters finally playing beside a level opponent and having similar level teamates and you really see what they can do. 

It’s happened year after year guys go to the seniorbowl and really solidify their confidence that they have what it takes reguardless of where they get selected. It’s one thing to rise at the combine for being an elite level athlete. But it’s another to lace up the pads and gear and stand out and gauge yourself against guys you have seen going rounds above your projections. Just look at the narrative of this draft before this game. We all knew the defensive from and edges in this class. But this was considered a weaker OL class. Then the game plays and the OL prospects shined against the Defensive guys. Now teams have to go back and highlight guys like the SC CB and the Kansas edge and Bowling green DT/Edge and all these OL. Tajee Spears and Lamb and the MD CB. The Stanford WR. All the TE’s had moments. The Miami TE looked way better than his scouting report from the experts. The shrine bowl and SB are huge

Scott McCoughan also liked to drink at work. I think its fine to take Senior players in the later rounds like we have been doing but to focus our entire draft strategy on these players is not wise. That list of Senior Bowl players Lavar703 posted is nothing special.  There's a reason most of the first round is Junior class players.