2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You aren't paying Brown Jr and Daron Payne. 

Cut Logan Thomas, trade Samuel, cut Wentz, would create quite a bit of space alone.

I don't know exactly how much we would have. So we'll just have to wait & see what moves we can make.

But there are moves that can be made to create lots of cap.

But improving the O-line dramatically should be priority #1 for Howell.

15 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Cut Logan Thomas, trade Samuel, cut Wentz, would create quite a bit of space alone.

I don't know exactly how much we would have. So we'll just have to wait & see what moves we can make.

Why are we trading Samuel? Who takes his place? When you're developing a young QB you don't remove weapons, you add them. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Why are we trading Samuel? Who takes his place? When you're developing a young QB you don't remove weapons, you add them. 

You either lose Samuel next yr for nothing, or you try to trade him for draft capital this season.

I really like Samuel, but there's no way we can afford him after this yr.

We also have a really good player in Dyami Brown getting very little playing time behind the big 3.

Brown also just happens to be Sam Howell's WR from North Carolina. Brown needs to move up the depth chart. He's a very talented player.

I don't want to trade Samuel for nothing. But if a team shows interest & has a good offer to us, for him?

We should definitely listen.

It would also clear cap space for other major needs.

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

At 16 I’m kind of warming up to CB with our pick for Witherspoon. 
If I had my choice I would trade down depending on who was picked or what player was falling. 
JM Schmitz who I really like but don’t think he will be there at our pick in the 2nd round. 
Steven Avila is another guy I like but not sure he would be there when we pick in the 3rd rd. Maybe we can get Dorian Williams LB/Tulane 

Witherspoon or Gonzalez would be amazing!!! These two guys are physical CB’s with excellent movement skills. Witherspoon’s tape actually reminds me of watching Champ. Just not handsy but will tackle and could dance with anyone not lose ground or an inch and mirror their routes. With all my comps I always disclaimer im not comping any prospect to a HOF career. I’m comping play style and traits and what their film reminds me of lol. Gonzalez is a dog as well. I don’t have the sauce grade on either because Sauce is my highest college grade I’ve given a player and he and Revis were my highest rated CB’s to come out. But that said I love the physical nature of these two even more for us. I love a CB who can not just mirror and shadow and willing to tackle but I love CB’s that look like a SS when they tackle

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I know it’s a highlight video. Good video.  I think he might be available at our 3rd rd pick (comp).

There might not be that top top level LB but there are some really dynamic LB’s in this class that are more the modern style. That said we probably need a more old school type in the Sewell mold. But Thompson from Clemson is a ball player!!! I just don’t know if there’s a scenario where LB is the highest rated player over a much higher positional value with a higher or equal graded prospect early in this class.

8 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

You either lose Samuel next yr for nothing, or you try to trade him for draft capital this season.

I really like Samuel, but there's no way we can afford him after this yr.

We also have a really good player in Dyami Brown getting very little playing time behind the big 3.

Brown also just happens to be Sam Howell's WR from North Carolina. Brown needs to move up the depth chart. He's a very talented player.

I don't want to trade Samuel for nothing. But if a team shows interest & has a good offer to us, for him?

We should definitely listen.

It would also clear cap space for other major needs.

Brown hasn’t stayed healthy. He’s flashed and that’s great. But it might just be a case where he doesn’t click until Curtis is gone and we would be best served not weakening a position this year and having as much around Sam as possible is more valuable to his long term then a mid round at best future pick and then hoping Brown finally gets it. Because if he doesn’t then we’re thin again and one injury away from being another all Terry or all Jahan season and we need to have the strongest deepest variety of weapons to scheme for Sam’s development. 

9 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Assuming someone actually trades for Samuel (I doubt it), this creates $36 million. My guess is you need at least $40 for both players. So you blow through the entire budget and some to get these two. 

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Witherspoon or Gonzalez would be amazing!!! These two guys are physical CB’s with excellent movement skills. Witherspoon’s tape actually reminds me of watching Champ. Just not handsy but will tackle and could dance with anyone not lose ground or an inch and mirror their routes. With all my comps I always disclaimer im not comping any prospect to a HOF career. I’m comping play style and traits and what their film reminds me of lol. Gonzalez is a dog as well. I don’t have the sauce grade on either because Sauce is my highest college grade I’ve given a player and he and Revis were my highest rated CB’s to come out. But that said I love the physical nature of these two even more for us. I love a CB who can not just mirror and shadow and willing to tackle but I love CB’s that look like a SS when they tackle

I can’t imagine either of these guys will be there at 16. There’s a chance both are gone before 10. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Assuming someone actually trades for Samuel (I doubt it), this creates $36 million. My guess is you need at least $40 for both players. So you blow through the entire budget and some to get these two. 

They have to either cut or restructure Rouillier. Fuller will probably get restructured with a couple years tacked on. Wentz and Thomas are all but certainly getting cut. I think with restructures and cap cuts they’ll go into the off-season with around $50M depending on what they do with Payne. My most likely outcome for Payne is a tag and trade. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I can’t imagine either of these guys will be there at 16. There’s a chance both are gone before 10. 

Yeah their stock is really rising. That said, the combine is huge for Cornerbacks and I could see Devon Witherspoon disappointing in the forty and slipping. I think Christian Gonzalez does well in the combine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

If those guys both have cap numbers north of $20M in the first year of multi-year deals, the entire FO should be fired. I’m sure that will be the approximate AAV of each of their deals, but if they’re going that route (loading up for a run), there should absolutely be some major back-loading of those contracts. I would think perhaps $20M combined between the two would be where their cap numbers would check in year one. 

To me, the soundness of that approach depends on how they feel about Howell. If they genuinely think he has top 10-15 ability, it would be smart to load up now. That rookie contract isn’t getting any longer, and you can’t waste a year of it waiting for “certainty.” If you feel he’s that good, put the most elite team you can around him and try to win. 

But I don’t think they’re that sure about Howell, and I don’t think it’s in their nature to aggressively pursue the top-end FAs. Which may be wise, who knows. I’m not sure I would want to be the one gambling huge money on Son of Zeus’s body holding up as he gets older. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

There might not be that top top level LB but there are some really dynamic LB’s in this class that are more the modern style. That said we probably need a more old school type in the Sewell mold. But Thompson from Clemson is a ball player!!! I just don’t know if there’s a scenario where LB is the highest rated player over a much higher positional value with a higher or equal graded prospect early in this class.

I mentioned D. Williams because he can play the run as well as dropping back in coverage. Todays NFL you need to be able to cover people and not sure an old school LB can cover a TE or maybe a RB. 

On 2/17/2023 at 10:46 PM, aceinthehouse said:

We don’t need to create more cap space after cutting Wentz in order to improve our OL w/ a FA or 2. We’ll have $34.5 mil in cap space after cutting Wentz. And, that’s before the cap goes up this offseason which could be as much as $20 million more. So, we could end up with $50-55 mil in cap space after just cutting Wentz.

I think it’s make more sense to restructure a player or more (Fuller, Leno, Logan, Samuel, Roullier, Allen?) - rather than outright cut them to open up some cap space should we need it - rather than to cut guys & create more holes on our team.

As Lavar said, it doesn’t make sense to create a whole like trading your weapons away like Samuel when you’re starting a first year QB most likely. There’s no reason to take one our strengths - our top 3 WRs - and make that a weakness.

Edited by turtle28