2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

On 3/27/2023 at 9:11 AM, ARTMONK HOF said:

Yeah man, I wish he would last till our 2nd rnd pick but I don't think he will. Taking him at 16 is too high. Maybe a trade-down until the low 20s & we chose between Wright, Torrence, a CB & TE? I could do that while picking up a 3rd & some later round picks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah man, I wish he would last till our 2nd rnd pick but I don't think he will. Taking him at 16 is too high. Maybe a trade-down until the low 20s & we chose between Wright, Torrence, a CB & TE? I could do that while picking up a 3rd & some later round picks.

I would say that trading back would be ideal with this class because after the top 2 CB’s which probably won’t be there all those players are rated similar. Trading back could maximize our return and give us a chance to double up OL and get TE and CB in the first four rounds

Jordan Reid has a new mock out through Insider. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35958143/2023-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-reid-seven-round-predictions-259-picks

16. Washington Commanders

Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

Cornerback Benjamin St-Juste is a promising player, but with the Commanders potentially moving Kendall Fuller back inside to the slot, the need for another outside corner is a high priority. With an intriguing blend of size and quickness, Porter is an intriguing option. Patience will be needed with Porter as he works through his aggressive ways in his technique, but he has natural traits that make him one of the top corners in this class. Porter projects as an immediate starter in Washington.

MT: Porter is fine. Might work out well. Right after him were Wright, Banks, Harrison and then Bijan. Probably give this pick a B- or so for situation. 

47. Washington Commanders

Blake Freeland, OT, BYU

Big and quick blockers like Freeland rarely make it out of the second round. He has been compared to Brian O'Neill and Sam Cosmi. Freeland's consistency as a pass protector -- he allowed just one sack in 12 starts last season -- could be appealing for the Commanders, who allowed 48 sacks last season, which was seventh-worst in the NFL. He could challenge Charles Leno at left tackle, but he also could move over to right tackle.

MT: Not a huge fan of Freeland. Bergeron went right before him. So did Darnell Washington. Jack Campbell was still on the board, and so was Musgrave and Avila. This is a D or D+.

97. Washington Commanders*

Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane

Spears would bring versatility to a backfield that lacks explosiveness. With Washington not having a running back reach over 1,000 rush yards last season, he could be a step up as he tallied 1,581 yards in this final season with the Green Wave. 

MT:  👀 @lavar703. Spears is a good pick and gives us a chance to incorporate him while waiting for Gibson's departure. The knock is maybe not having taken IOL so far (or TE). B.

118. Washington Commanders: Zack Kuntz, TE, Old Dominion

MT: Well, there's the TE in Kuntz. I like him as a prospect, but I think he's going to take years to develop. He's a more athletic Turner. 

150. Washington Commanders: Cam Jones, LB, Indiana

MT: This is not where I would want Jones. He doesn't fit the athletic mold Rivera seems to want. Not an awful pick, but Dorian Williams went right after and would maybe fit better. C.

193. Washington Commanders: Warren McClendon, IOL, Georgia

MT: Definitely a Rivera guy. Would be good depth for this late. B-. Andrew Vorhees went right after though, and I'd burn a 6th on Vorhees redshirt to be honest. 

233. Washington Commanders: Viliami Fehoko, Edge, San Jose State

MT: I think we need more depth here, so this is fine. B.

Not the worst mock I've seen for us.

• Like 2

I’d take Avila over Freeland. Also I just think taking Porter to just take a CB worries me. But this staff has trends and I’m sure they like these players coming from Penn St. I just thought potter was the second best CB on that team last year so it’s hard for me when he isn’t as diverse as you want from a 1st rd CB

• Like 2

Porter is an overwhelming “okay” from me.

It’s a fine pick. It really is. He’s an advanced press CB, he’s physical, he does a nice job re-routing receivers and forcing them out of what they’re hoping to do. Good athlete, long arms, disruptive player. Obviously has the bloodlines. He’s probably a starter for a long time.….

Think he lacks the elite movement skills and ball skills to really be a star. But he’d be fine there. Hopefully it would signal an intention to move to a legit press man scheme full-time. Having BSJ and JPJ would be awfully pointless if you’re going to just drop into soft zones all day long.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I’d take Avila over Freeland. Also I just think taking Porter to just take a CB worries me. But this staff has trends and I’m sure they like these players coming from Penn St. I just thought potter was the second best CB on that team last year so it’s hard for me when he isn’t as diverse as you want from a 1st rd CB

I wouldn't say that's the case. A lot of people really like Porter. Again, I question his fit with this defense, and I could easily be all wet (have been plenty times before), but maybe it would work. 

I would be a little shocked if Porter fell outside the first 20 picks. He's probably CB #3, no?

edit: I just saw @e16bball made a better point than I on why I didn't think he fit as well, but he also provided a solution, so points to Gryffindor.