Trade Bait 2022

jch1911

As cut down day is nearly upon us, who could you see being moved in a trade as opposed to outright cut?

I’ll start:

- T Charlie Heck (for Day 3 pick)

- G/T Max Scarping (??)

- DL Ross Blacklock (4th or 5th or player swap)

- one of LBs Kevin Pierre-Louis or Blake Cashman (??)

i would expect Nick to target these positions

- WR (Denzel Mims? Darius Slayton? Preston Williams?)

- TE (??)

I would love to see Texans nab OL Willie Wright or WR Kevin Austin when they get cut - likely.

Sorry - typed on my phone

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

I think you have rose colored glasses on if you think some of those guys would fetch a pick. Blacklock maybe a 6/7 tops, Scharping is god awful. Heck is still going to be our swing OT

Notice the question marks.

Blacklock is locked up for 2 more seasons and flashed some last year (2 pd’s, 2 sacks, 2 Tfl, 1 ff).

Heck has the bloodlines, experience, and teams need tackles.  We’ve seen worse players traded for day 3 picks.

But I get your point.

Lonnie Johnson fetched a pick and he was headed for the barber shop (I.e. getting cut)

7 hours ago, jch1911 said:

- T Charlie Heck (for Day 3 pick)

- G/T Max Scarping (??)

These guys were backups/swing OL on a bad OL. I doubt they even get picked up after they're cut. Their next football gig is in the XFL or USFL, they have to put SOME good tape out there before an NFL team shows interest.

- DL Ross Blacklock (4th or 5th or player swap)

Only thing he has going for him is his draft status a few years ago, the actual film on him is really bad. Maybe a 2024 or '25 pick (and a day 3 pick at that). 

- WR (Denzel Mims? Darius Slayton? Preston Williams?)

- TE (??)

I'd like to see Caserio offer up a 5th for Mims (nothing higher mind you). He's got oodles of ability, but his QB situation is a disaster. Davis Mills isn't too far from that, but it's not about Mills - it's about whoever's QB next season.

For TE - OJ Howard is already on his way out in Buffalo. I don't think it's because he's bad, it's more to do with Dawson Knox locked in as TE1 and the other two guys coming in at lower cap hits. Howard never lived up to his lofty expectations as a FRP, but he's a tenacious run blocker and seals the edge better than most - Dameon Pierce could use that sort of help. If the Texans can FINALLY get that receiving prowress from him, that's an added bonus.

3 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Lonnie Johnson fetched a pick and he was headed for the barber shop (I.e. getting cut)

For as bad as he was, Lonnie had some moments, and you can make a compelling argument that he never lived up to his ability because he was flip flopping between CB and S. Can't really say that about these guys (Blacklock played 5-tech in both the 34 and 43 looks we had). I’m also of the mindset that Chiefs S Justin Reid may have dropped in a good word for his buddy…

• Like 1

What the Texans do between now and opening day will be very important I feel like. We're 3rd on the waiver wire, we need to take advantage of that. I don't really see any players we'll be releasing as having any real trade value. It feels like we're actually short a few playables. I definitely agree we need to add a WR. I also really think we should keep a close eye on every available RB, and really every other position. I'd like to see like 3-4 players added in the next week or so. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Trivia - the very next pick after Blacklock? Colts RB Jonathan Taylor.

Yeah, wish there was a reset button.

But we had David Johnson Iirc.  Easterbunny & BO’obsaw no need for a talented young RB.  Oh wait…