49ers ' 53 man roster cut thread

49erurtaza

Since Ward has to make the initial 53 to go on short-term IR, I figured Johnson was the designated guy to get released & re-signed once Ward goes on iR. So, not a surprise

Jason Poe, Kemeko Turray & Malik Turner are genuine surprises though.

Edited by 49ersfan

7 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Turner was a guy i kinda expected to make it. Mostly because of his ST work but seemed like a decent enough receiver too. 

I have to imagine that they just decided it wasn't worth it because they'd have to make one of Jennings / Gray / Ray Ray inactive. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The thing I love about Purdy making it is that we've already paid Sudfeld LOL. His money was guaranteed. So we are basically paying 4 QBs guaranteed money 

Is Sudfeld subject to waivers? I could see a team claiming him. Its only $2 million guaranteed which is good for a backup

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have to imagine that they just decided it wasn't worth it because they'd have to make one of Jennings / Gray / Ray Ray inactive. 

Yeah its a tough one. Jennings and Gray have very specific roles they can fill and Ray Ray will be the main returner so a gunner and 6th WR doesn't really make much waves especially when RR also is a usuable player on offense. Just one of those interesting roster things where active and inactive spots also play a part. Could see him be on the PS and elevated a few times over the year.

Purdy is a bit suprising but also not with how Kyle always seems to overrate these types of QB's and how much of a chance they have to not be claimed.

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

Is Sudfeld subject to waivers? I could see a team claiming him. Its only $2 million guaranteed which is good for a backup

No, he's just a free agent. 

*edit*

Well, MM indicating that he's going through waivers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing I love about Purdy making it is that we've already paid Sudfeld LOL. His money was guaranteed. So we are basically paying 4 QBs guaranteed money 

Would not be shocked to see Sudfeld back on the PS. All he's really good for is being a sounding board for Trey IMO. 

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Kyle said Purdy would of been QB2

Surprising....Sudfeld always seems to practice well & looks decent in the PS games 

But, you could tell they liked him ever since they drafted him. They chose him because he'd likely choose another team in UDFA. And they're keeping him because they don't want to risk losing him on waivers

He'll likely never be more than a Colt McCoy/Shaun Hill type backup, but those kind of players have value, especially when they're on a rookie contract