Weird ESPN QBR ratings

everlong

We all know QBR is a laughable stat, but some ratings just don't make any sense. For example, the highest rated performance was this one game Charlie Batch played against the Bucs where he threw two interceptions. As of now, the system has Jared Goff as an average quarterback and Case Keenum is a top 3 quarterback and better than Tom Brady.

Are there any other examples from this metric that you found baffling?

any stat that has old tom in the even top twenty is laughable, let's look at the FACTS

-he's old, and what do old people do? not football.

-he's not very mobile and never has been, even with all the VOODOO he works with avocados and the blood of white wide receivers

-he was a SIXTH round pick, and you don't get picked in the sixth round unless the entire league says YOU SUCK five times at least

-any idiot could DUMP OFF to gronk or hurl it in the general direction of the noted master of the contested catch julian edelman (see SBLI)

-he has the GREATEST EVER coach and the weapons and still went a ten year span almost without actually winning a super bowl: the bears did it with noted crap coach mike ditka for ten years who traded an entire draft for ricky williams, with mcmahon at QB - on the other hand USELESS TOM hasn't won a single game without safety blanket bill

-he has never equalised or exceeded the number on his jersey in touchdowns in a game. on the other hand MATT RYAN does this almost every game

-the teams with better or equal records to brady include a team with a REDHEAD at QB, one who has a QB literally named after a clock, and one who has on a QB who could not even get a single win last season 

-he is a HOMEGROUND BULLY, and in the AFC playoffs for the last season he DID NOT even get a single win outside of foxborough

tom brady is trash and that's FACT. PERIOD.

1 hour ago, Shady Slim said:

any stat that has old tom in the even top twenty is laughable, let's look at the FACTS

-he's old, and what do old people do? not football.

-he's not very mobile and never has been, even with all the VOODOO he works with avocados and the blood of white wide receivers

-he was a SIXTH round pick, and you don't get picked in the sixth round unless the entire league says YOU SUCK five times at least

-any idiot could DUMP OFF to gronk or hurl it in the general direction of the noted master of the contested catch julian edelman (see SBLI)

-he has the GREATEST EVER coach and the weapons and still went a ten year span almost without actually winning a super bowl: the bears did it with noted crap coach mike ditka for ten years who traded an entire draft for ricky williams, with mcmahon at QB - on the other hand USELESS TOM hasn't won a single game without safety blanket bill

-he has never equalised or exceeded the number on his jersey in touchdowns in a game. on the other hand MATT RYAN does this almost every game

-the teams with better or equal records to brady include a team with a REDHEAD at QB, one who has a QB literally named after a clock, and one who has on a QB who could not even get a single win last season 

-he is a HOMEGROUND BULLY, and in the AFC playoffs for the last season he DID NOT even get a single win outside of foxborough

tom brady is trash and that's FACT. PERIOD.

Excellent points.

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

Kizer and his 1 TD 1 INT 56.8% comp 232 yard day was higher QBR rating than Goffs 3 TD 0 INT 67.6% comp 355 yard day. Kizer 73.6 Goff 44.1 all because Kizer ran for 1 TD. QBR is complete garbage.

wow... that makes no freaking sense

4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Kizer and his 1 TD 1 INT 56.8% comp 232 yard day was higher QBR rating than Goffs 3 TD 0 INT 67.6% comp 355 yard day. Kizer 73.6 Goff 44.1 all because Kizer ran for 1 TD. QBR is complete garbage.

Agreed it's a garbage stat, I think the reason is that QBR is the value the QB brought to the game where as QB rating is how well a QB performed. Basically it's saying that Goff's 33-7 Win over Huston was not as meaningful as Kizer's contribution to a 24-38 loss. I'd love to see ESPN try to argue Kizer over Goff :D

It's a terrible stat. Have they even released how it is calculated yet? I remember for the first few years, they weren't releasing it, which made it even more ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, it's a complete and total garbage stat. 

I remember the week that Houston played KC. They gave Watson the highest grade of any quarterback that week (by a decent margin). He wasn't even the best quarterback in that game. He was basically pretty bad for 2.5-3 quarters, then just started chucking up the 50/50 hail mary balls that his receivers came down with. It wasn't one of his most impressive games this year, yet somehow, they had him as the best quarterback in the nfl that week. 

Garbage stat is garbage stat. 

Also, I really hate that ESPN shoves that stat down your throat as if it really means anything at. It makes listening to any analyst or writer nearly unbearable. Like, I really like Bill Barnwell, have since the Grantland podcast, but because he has to reference that damn stat every 35 seconds when talking about any given quarterback, it's just brutal to listen to. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It's a terrible stat. Have they even released how it is calculated yet? I remember for the first few years, they weren't releasing it, which made it even more ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, it's a complete and total garbage stat. 

I remember the week that Houston played KC. They gave Watson the highest grade of any quarterback that week (by a decent margin). He wasn't even the best quarterback in that game. He was basically pretty bad for 2.5-3 quarters, then just started chucking up the 50/50 hail mary balls that his receivers came down with. It wasn't one of his most impressive games this year, yet somehow, they had him as the best quarterback in the nfl that week. 

Garbage stat is garbage stat. 

QBR gives receivers most of the credit for YAC, which Andy Reid's offense heavily takes advantage of.  It probably saw Watson making numerous throws waaaaay downfield and gave him big points for that without accounting for the fact that the majority of them were basically jump balls that Hopkins and Fuller were reeling in from double coverage.

Then there's the problem that it will lessen/eliminate the penalty for an interception if the ball was tipped by the receiver without considering whether the throw was actually a good decision or not. 

And THEN there's the problem that it tries to measure a QB's run plays and pass plays directly against each other in the same number, which is just never going to work.

And THEEEEENNNNN there's the problem that a QB will be given huge credit/less blame when under pressure, when QB pressure just seems like an incredibly subjective thing to me.

It takes the "stats without context" thing way too far.  It makes way too many assumptions about each play (all QB pressure is the same, all dropped/tipped passes are receivers' fault, all YAC is due to the receiver).  If I want to go the advanced stats route I just use DVOA to get a play by play, down and distance applied approach and then make my own adjustments based on the game tape.  QBR would be extraneous even if it weren't so inaccurate.  

Archived