Jump to content
ny92jefferis

Early talk on the Giants offseason

Recommended Posts

Just now, Acgott said:

Eli will be 37. He has a year or so left. We need to plan for the future.

I do agree that the Giants will not draft a QB in the first though. I believe they will go BPA and that player won't be a QB.

He's definitely getting long in the tooth, which is why drafting Webb made sense, someone that they could learn over the next couple seasons, but drafting one in the first especially as high as we are talking, is more like what happened the year Eli was drafted, he sat for several weeks, but eventually was the starter that same year.

Do you think Webb was drafted as their plan for the future?

Traditionally, it has been BPA or where they married BPA with need, for example drafting the TE and DT and perhaps even the QB all needs but none of them seemed reaches to me.

Personally, I'm hoping that they draft one of these left tackles I keep hearing about.  I know that the kid from OU is as solid as they come but I hear there is a better talent out there.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Webb will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting job with the rookie we draft in the first 3 rounds. Its all a guessing game. We can't put all our chips onto one player and hope he is our chosen one. We need plan A, B, and C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck, I drafted Mitchell Trubisky with the first pick in one of my TCMD mock draft, because I felt I had addressed the offensive line issues the best I could through free agency and the top tackles were off the board by the time I picked, but we've got an early pick this year and if we don't address this offensive line this year, I'm jumping.  Not far but I'm jumping.

giphy.gif

  Man you need to get involved with my mock this year.  GM the Giants.  We put on a pretty good show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I believe Webb will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting job with the rookie we draft in the first 3 rounds. Its all a guessing game. We can't put all our chips onto one player and hope he is our chosen one. We need plan A, B, and C.

I hear you.

Was looking over some mock draft stuff and got to thinking, that we could afford to restructure some of these heavy contracts to bring in some serious cash this year.  Providing Eli retires after his last extension,  the restructures wouldn't hurt us now and not so much in the future either; as Eli's contract expires in 2019 after that he's saving us 23.2 million and with the way the salary caps are increasing now.  Anyway something to think about.

Edited by ny92jefferis
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I don't have time for GM Mock draft.

And no to restructuring. It just hurts us in future years. The Giants aren't scavenging for money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Sorry I don't have time for GM Mock draft.

And no to restructuring. It just hurts us in future years. The Giants aren't scavenging for money.

No worries

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eli is not the problem but with all the  bad throws of open wide receivers, for me he is no longer the answer.  I went through the Kent Graham/Danny Kannel  era  and felt we got lucky to get Kerry Collins. I don't feel like going through that  era again. I would feel a lot better getting the QB of the future right now rather than risking the future on another failed Reese 3rd round draft pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Eli is not the problem but with all the  bad throws of open wide receivers, for me he is no longer the answer.  I went through the Kent Graham/Danny Kannel  era  and felt we got lucky to get Kerry Collins. I don't feel like going through that  era again. I would feel a lot better getting the QB of the future right now rather than risking the future on another failed Reese 3rd round draft pick.

How sure are we that the #2 QB will be our QBOTF? I have heard a lot of question marks about them. We can’t afford to pass up a top player to dance with a question mark. That is how you destroy a franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Acgott said:

How sure are we that the #2 QB will be our QBOTF? I have heard a lot of question marks about them. We can’t afford to pass up a top player to dance with a question mark. That is how you destroy a franchise.

The Cleveland Browns thought similar things about Wentz and Goff and have been laughed at for passing on them. Unlike the Cleveland Browns we are not going to be 0-16, 1-15 or 2-14, most of the time to have a chance to get a franchise QB.

I have not watched a second of college football, so I have no idea who the top QB are. I have heard that this is is suppose to be a deep QB draft. I also see that PFF mock draft has four QB's taken with the first 6 picks.  I have complete faith the Giants scouting department is not bad enough to screw this up. 

In case you have not noticed, both the Cowboys and the Eagles have franchise QB's. The way you win Championships for the most part in this league is with a franchise QB. So unless you are going to be happy being the Miami Dolphins of the NFC East for the next 15 years, we should get a franchise QB in a deep QB draft while we have a top 3 pick to get one. Other wise  our future is going to be 8-8 give or take a game every year never to be considered a serious Super Bowl contender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Acgott said:

How sure are we that the #2 QB will be our QBOTF? I have heard a lot of question marks about them. We can’t afford to pass up a top player to dance with a question mark. That is how you destroy a franchise.

How else do you plan on getting a QBOTF?  There's always going to be a major risk, but to push off the problem is 100% franchise suicide.  QB purgatory is not a good place to be, and it could last 20+ years.

Besides, every QB I can think of aside from Luck was considered overrated and overdrafted because of their position.  Remember everyone freaking out about Watson's throw velocity in a Combine drill?  It's looking pretty dumb right about now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I watched parts of the UCLA / USC game last night to get a look at both QBs.  I think Rosen played better, but obviously it's not the end all be all.  Rosen reminds me of Jay Cutler.  Tremendous arm talent and very accurate..  Darnold is more like Andrew Luck.  Athletic, tough, big arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Go_Giants Yes, the Browns midpredicted the number 2 quarterback and it cost them dearly. We also see teams overpick quarterbacks all the time, and it much much worse. Reaching with a quarterback, causes much longer long term damage. We must be 💯 with this pick. Like you I have zero knowledge of the draft. I keep mixing up the USC and UCLA QBs. I hear one has some minor off the field issue, the other (or the same) is leaning towards going back to school. That would put Josh Allen as our QB. I’ll hear he is very inaccurate. The other possible is Mayfield who has a new on the field issue every week.

@redsoxsuck314 we will draft one in the top 3 rounds to compete with Webb. With the predicted number 2 pick, we can’t afford to reach and miss out on the best non qb. Missing on the qb can cause more damage then passing him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gmen said:

So I watched parts of the UCLA / USC game last night to get a look at both QBs.  I think Rosen played better, but obviously it's not the end all be all.  Rosen reminds me of Jay Cutler.  Tremendous arm talent and very accurate..  Darnold is more like Andrew Luck.  Athletic, tough, big arm.

Baker Mayfield is Russell Wilson. I want him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Baker Mayfield is Russell Wilson. I want him. 

He’s in the news every week for an onfield issue. He would need to change a lot. Not happening 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×