Early talk on the Giants offseason

ny92mike

9 minutes ago, Acgott said:

He’s in the news every week for an onfield issue. He would need to change a lot. Not happening 

He's cut from the same cloth as OBJ in terms of competitiveness. Whoever feels like they can harness that is going to get the best QB in the draft. 

On 18 November 2017 at 6:52 PM, Acgott said:

How sure are we that the #2 QB will be our QBOTF? I have heard a lot of question marks about them. We can’t afford to pass up a top player to dance with a question mark. That is how you destroy a franchise.

Weren't you one of the people that said we should take somebody like Darnold or a top QB with our pick?

Take a top tier tackle or a d-lineman worthy of the pick. That's where you build from. Or trade down. 

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Weren't you one of the people that said we should take somebody like Darnold or a top QB with our pick?

Take a top tier tackle or a d-lineman worthy of the pick. That's where you build from. Or trade down. 

I don’t recall ever saying that. I’m always BPA

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Take a top tier tackle or a d-lineman worthy of the pick. That's where you build from. Or trade down

Passing on QB's early in the draft has worked out for Cleveland. Everyone should get in on that.

16 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Passing on QB's early in the draft has worked out for Cleveland. Everyone should get in on that.

We aren't Cleveland. We are not in desperate need of a QB. Clevelands problem is that they have passed on QBs and the players they chosen in preference have not panned out.

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

We aren't Cleveland. We are not in desperate need of a QB. Clevelands problem is that they have passed on QBs and the players they chosen in preference have not panned out.

Your QB is aged, so when would you be in desperate need of a QB? I think you take one (assuming you think he can lead a franchise, that's a different discussion) when you have the opportunity to take one, because you just don't know when you're going to get that chance again. You never see teams build a strong team and THEN find a franchise QB unless they get lucky. 

16 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Your QB is aged, so when would you be in desperate need of a QB? I think you take one (assuming you think he can lead a franchise, that's a different discussion) when you have the opportunity to take one, because you just don't know when you're going to get that chance again. You never see teams build a strong team and THEN find a franchise QB unless they get lucky. 

Yes he is an aging QB. At the same time you want a that next QB to be in the best possible position to succeed. Hence build the trenches giving your current QB and his successor the best position to succeed.

4 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Yes he is an aging QB. At the same time you want a that next QB to be in the best possible position to succeed. Hence build the trenches giving your current QB and his successor the best position to succeed.

One way to look at it. 

Or you get him when you have the opportunity to, and continue to build. Just because you pass on a tackle at #2 or wherever you pick doesn't mean you can't add one later in the draft or FA. 

Eli is def declining and coming to the end of his career but if they give him the proper protection he could still be a serviceable starter for another season or two. I wouldn't reach for a QB in this draft. If there is a tackle that is BPA at our pick take him. Take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd and let him compete with Webb

1 hour ago, Shockey1979 said:

Eli is def declining and coming to the end of his career but if they give him the proper protection he could still be a serviceable starter for another season or two. I wouldn't reach for a QB in this draft. If there is a tackle that is BPA at our pick take him. Take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd and let him compete with Webb

Call me delusional, but I think Eli has a revival in him and you give him adequate protection he can still be real productive. We better stick to BPA with regards to a tackle even if Flowers has improved his play this year. 

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

One way to look at it. 

Or you get him when you have the opportunity to, and continue to build. Just because you pass on a tackle at #2 or wherever you pick doesn't mean you can't add one later in the draft or FA. 

Honestly these days tackles are harder to find. We have seen that a quality supporting cast can elevate a QB.

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

We have seen that a quality supporting cast can elevate a QB

Not more than just a flash in the pan type. What teams have had sustained success building a team and then having a run of the mill QB?

3 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Not more than just a flash in the pan type. What teams have had sustained success building a team and then having a run of the mill QB?

What successful teams do is that they don't put their Young QB in a difficult place to succeed. You don't put him behind a shoddy o-line and no running game. 

Archived