Jimmy G is staying

John232

Just now, N4L said:

Basically, you are eligible to receive a comp pick if you lose more players to FA than you sign. So, if we have 5 FAs, and we sign 5 FAs, then we get no comp picks. If we lose 5 and sign 4, then you are eligible to receive one comp pick.

A player's value in the formula is determined by the contract they sign and their playing time in year 1 of the deal. So, we would get a comp pick in the 2024 draft for Jimmy, but only if we lose more FAs than we sign next year.

So, it could absolutely hamstring us next FA if they get too focused on getting a comp pick back. 

My main question about keeping Jimmy - does this divide the locker room? I am not ready for the drama if we lose a few games early. 

100% agreed. It will because Trey is still learning and will take his bumps and bruises. I personally think that a lot of ppls job will be affected by this decision pending on how this year plays out

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

L-O-L....This team man, this team.............

Well, we weren't using the space if we cut him for this season, so assuming he does not play this year, the LBTE incentives will *essentially* roll over into next year if they are not earned. So, taking the hit this year is basically *irrelevant*

7 minutes ago, 9erFreak77 said:

No trade clause can be waived if Jimmy chooses correct?

No, he’ll be in SF for this upcoming season. 

I guess I stand corrected. Time will tell if he actually gets traded 

Edited by StevenK

Just now, 9erFreak77 said:

Yes, Jimmy is able to waive it if he wants. 

He has significant monetary incentives to do so as well, considering the PT incentives he has. He will certainly want to go somewhere else if there is an opportunity somewhere else. His contract is MUCH more palatable for his next team as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 9erFreak77 said:

I believe that is correct. The no trade clause protects the player from being traded to a team he doesn’t want to play for, but if the player approves of the trade/team, then he can waive the clause and be traded. Just leaves the option to the player, not the team

• Like 1

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

This has a chance to blow up on the 49er's faces if Lance has massive struggles. 

They probably look at it the other way. If Lance struggles, they will have the opportunity to make the switch. 

The "blow up in their faces" argument will be the unneeded media circus this has created and if it creates a problem in the locker room 

So I guess the question is do the Niners keep 3 QBs on the roster? I mean, at this point Jimmy hasn’t practiced and Sudfeld knows the current offense.

on the other hand, paying Jimmy all that dough for anything less than 2nd string is crazy.

if Sudfeld is cut, we owe him 2 million and then if he is put on the p-squad that means Brock is gone.

gotta love chain reactions

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

This has a chance to blow up on the 49er's faces if Lance has massive struggles. 

That's my problem with it- because he will. If they didn't want to go through the growing pains of a rookie, extremely inexperienced QB, then they shouldn't have traded away the farm for Lance. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing we keep Purdy this year as the #3 QB, with to be a potential long term #2 QB. Otherwise, we'll have to start looking again from scratch next year. 

Sudfeld likely is the odd man out, unless he wants to stick on the PS.

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'm guessing we keep Purdy this year as the #3 QB, with to be a potential long term #2 QB. Otherwise, we'll have to start looking again from scratch next year. 

Sudfeld likely is the odd man out, unless he wants to stick on the PS.

No I think Purdy is cut. sudfeld has a 2 million fully guaranteed contract. 

7 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'm guessing we keep Purdy this year as the #3 QB

No, I think sudfeld is qb3, with Purdy on the PS or on a different team's PS. 

Sudfeld is better, today. We can find another purdy next year. Losing him is irrelevant in the long run. At best, hes an ok backup. It's not like he is a toolsy guy with good upside.