best 2k rushing season since 00

Kiwibrown

2k rushing  

49 members have voted

1. 1. best 2k season

2. 2. 2nd most impressive

3. 3. 3rd most impressive season

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I love how there wasn't even a mention by the OP of Jamal Lewis in 2003.

Barry Sanders had the most impressive 2k yard rushing season imo. Did it in the least amount of carries (335 - 52 less than Lewis), and did it at the oldest, 29. 

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

Barry Sanders had the most impressive 2k yard rushing season imo. Did it in the least amount of carries (335 - 52 less than Lewis), and did it at the oldest, 29. 

Well that one was at least before the year 2000, which was the cutoff bu the OP.  Don't know why Jamal Lewis was omitted though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

What about 1973 OJ Simpson though? Did it in 14 games in snowy Buffalo...6.0 YPA...and his QB threw for less than 1000 yards in 14 starts. Even for the "dead ball era" of the 1970's, less than 1000 yards passing is terrible. 

Keep in mind all of them are obviously impressive so we are splitting hairs here

1. Henry - I'm actually more impressed that he was able to do it with his running style. He has speed and shiftiness, especially for his size, but he still mostly a downhill running you over guy. His yards after contact was insane.

2. Peterson - I did this based on season no any circumstance coming into the season, so I'm not considering his injury. If I did that would put him at 1. Basically the perfect mix of Henry and Johnson. He did it all

3. Johnson - again this isn't a slight, it was incredibly impressive. I just felt that he had a bit more help in doing. He certainly was able to outrun and get lanes for himself, so I definitely am not saying his OL made him, but ultimately more blocks had to be made for him to get there because he wasn't getting the same yac

I know this is basically just ranking them on yac, and that isn't the only thing I considered. But that is something that I value highly in trying to distinguish great seasons from backs to as loose, not perfect, proxy for the work they had to do.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:34 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

What about 1973 OJ Simpson though? Did it in 14 games in snowy Buffalo...6.0 YPA...and his QB threw for less than 1000 yards in 14 starts. Even for the "dead ball era" of the 1970's, less than 1000 yards passing is terrible. 

Yeah not sure why it was limited to just those 3, instead of the rest of the 2K club (not big) but OJ has it hands down IMO. 

People just don't like acknowledging anything Simpson because,  well he's a murder regardless of the glove fitting 👌 and most distance themselves from any kind of praise.

Edited by Nabbs4u

AP had the best story, CJ2K was the most exciting to watch because of all the big runs, and DH was entertaining because of just how much he posterized defenders with that stiff arm.

I'm biased towards the two Titans players, but if we're talking entertainment value, it's 1. CJ, 2. DH, 3. AP.  If we're saying "best" then it's hard to argue against AP.  He won me my fantasy league that year, so I watched him almost as closely as the two Titans guys, and he was just money.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:34 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I'd consider OJ as 1B. Even though he played in less games, they still had pretty much the same amount of carries (332 for OJ vs 335 for Sanders). I put Sanders at 1A mostly due to his contributions receiving (6 catches for OJ vs 33 for Sanders) and difference in fumbles (7 times for OJ vs 3 times for Sanders). Those are definitely the top 2 and I have no problem with calling OJ's season the best either. It's extremely close.

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 1

If we're talking Sanders v. OJ, realize that Barry had 53 yards rushing in his first two games that year and so he ran for 2,000 in 14 games as well. You can argue both pro and con on that fact but nevertheless. For what it's worth, in game #2 that year, he ran for only 20 yards but caught 8 balls for 102.

As for the question, my vote is on CJ, he was the fastest RB I've ever seen that year.

1. AP

Single handedly dragged that offense to the playoffs and deserved MVP. Christian Ponder was QB for crying out loud. Teams went all out to stop AP and they still couldn’t do it. 

2. Henry

3. CJ

CJ’s was definitely the least impressive, even in real time. Titans OL opened up massive holes and he just sprinted through them for long gains. Fun, sure. Impressive, not really. 

24 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

CJ’s was definitely the least impressive, even in real time. Titans OL opened up massive holes and he just sprinted through them for long gains. Fun, sure. Impressive, not really. 

Yeah, seriously. Ho-hum at breaking the all-time YFS record. What a so-so performance.

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Yeah, seriously. Ho-hum at breaking the all-time YFS record. What a so-so performance.

You and I have different means of impressive. CJ was fast, with somewhat good vision. That’s it. He lucked out into one of the best OL’s ever at opening huge holes. Everyone knew CJ’s success was going to wildly regress after that year. Whereas Peterson and Henry are miles better RB’s than CJ. 

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You and I have different means of impressive. CJ was fast, with somewhat good vision. That’s it. He lucked out into one of the best OL’s ever at opening huge holes. Everyone knew CJ’s success was going to wildly regress after that year. Whereas Peterson and Henry are miles better RB’s than CJ. 

You're right. Luck drove that season.

Peterson, Henry and Lewis all fell off just as badly as CJ did after their 2K seasons. So did OJ Simpson. So did Barry Sanders. So did Terrell Davis. So did Eric Dickerson (though he did end up with 2 more great seasons later in his career).

It's almost as if all 2K seasons are somewhat flukey and can't be replicated...