Firefox Quantum - is it worth switching?

pwny

For those unaware, Firefox recently released a new update that they have stated is their biggest release since version 1.0. Featuring an updated processing engine, Firefox claims 2x speed and 30% resource reduction vs Chrome. They tout “Seriously Private Browsing” that includes tracking protection. In addition, built in Pocket integration promises to make bookmarks and read later lists streamlined and easy to navigate.

My question is, for those of you who have tried it, does this update make Firefox the current front runner in the browser world? And is the gap large enough to actually warrant switching, or will Chromium based browsers likely retake the lead in a very short matter of time?

4 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Only bummer is NoScript is now incompatible.

They said that it should be compatible by the end of the week.

Looks like a lot of extensions have been broken with the update.

I actually just updated it a few hours ago. I guess it's faster. It was fast enough before. There are so many add-ons that aren't compatible with it, but some of the most important ones still are. It probably won't make a huge difference to me.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

They said that it should be compatible by the end of the week.

Looks like a lot of extensions have been broken with the update.

Yeah... I'm currently using umatrix until noscript is good to go.

I haven't noticed a big difference yet aside from some cosmetics.

32 minutes ago, mistakey said:

does any one know how the privacy protection compares to EFFs privacy badger?

It uses the default disconnect.me list. They’re basically about the same effectiveness. 

Archived