2017-18 Schedule Discussion & Predictions

CentralFC

Early thoughts:

1. Early season stretch is a nice opening test. The NFC's other top two contenders + a perennial AFC contender in Cincinnati. No one's playing their best ball in September, so I think having Seattle and Cincinnati at home will be crucial. 
  2. Atlanta in its home-opener will be a challenge. A GREAT test for the young guys. King better come ready to play.
  3. Finishing up before the bye with road trips to Dallas and Minnesota will be another challenge. Dallas might take a step back this year, but the offense is still explosive. Minnesota will be a 9-10 win team with another strong defense. Then, New Orleans, but fortunately at home. Should be a bit of a shootout.
  4. Bye week to prepare and get healthy for two NFC North games. I love it. 
  5. Late November, early December is a fun stretch. Uncommon opponents, home/road variety, a primetime game against Ben in Pittsburgh, and some noon/1 p.m. football for once.
  6. Love finishing with Detroit/Minnesota, but don't like going to Detroit for a second consecutive year. Swap the WK 16/17 games and IMO the schedule is perfect. 
  7. My guess is a 5-2 start going into the bye, and a 7-2 run to close the season. 12-4, no. 1 seed.

Definitely a tough start.  Seattle, Atlanta, and Cincinnati as our first three games are potential playoff teams, then you have the Cowboys in Week 5, and Vikings in Week 6 aren't pushovers.  My guess is we're 4-3 heading into the bye week, and 11-5 to finish the season which wins the division.

Regardless of who is actually on the schedule this year, I feel like we're going to come out of the gates poised to control home field advantage, drop a couple games mid season, and then gear back up for a postseason run. Don't think leadership will let us fall behind in the standings again. 

9 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Regardless of who is actually on the schedule this year, I feel like we're going to come out of the gates poised to control home field advantage, drop a couple games mid season, and then gear back up for a postseason run. Don't think leadership will let us fall behind in the standings again. 

Aren't we usually kinda a slow starting, especially offensively?  That's my main concern.

I still don't understand what happened during Titans vs Greenbay last season. I completely expected Packers to either destroy Titans or win in a close game. Anyways I think Packers will end up in the NFC championship. 

15 minutes ago, Farsendor1 said:

I still don't understand what happened during Titans vs Greenbay last season. I completely expected Packers to either destroy Titans or win in a close game. Anyways I think Packers will end up in the NFC championship. 

Packers got off to a very sluggish start, but they're usually due for a stinker of a game or two.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Aren't we usually kinda a slow starting, especially offensively?  That's my main concern.

Yeah, I feel like the past few years we're always wondering when the offense will come around. I feel like the new trend overall has been a slow start but we're able to grind out a decent record in the first 4-6 games (partially due to a weaker schedule in the past) before we go into a short midseason slump and then turn it on again in mid-late November.

10 hours ago, packerjmf said:

Yeah, I feel like the past few years we're always wondering when the offense will come around. I feel like the new trend overall has been a slow start but we're able to grind out a decent record in the first 4-6 games (partially due to a weaker schedule in the past) before we go into a short midseason slump and then turn it on again in mid-late November.

I feel like part of it is the fact that our first team offense rarely plays in a full game together during the preseason combined, which isn't surprising for the slow start.  I'm not advocating playing Rodgers (and several other key starters) for the entire preseason game, but it needs to be acknowledged.

I think that's accurate CWood and we need to remind ourselves just how elite this offense is when its humming along

That doesn't just happen. It takes time to rev up that engine each season and get into sync. Especially for the OL. Aaron commented about the OL earlier in an interview and said that while there's time to mix and match players early on, they need time to gel as a crew before the opener

Early in the season,  defense seems to have the advantage and then as the season rolls along the offensive efficiency peaks across the league

Archived