Most heart breaking loss

Hunter2_1

2011 divisional round vs 49ers.  Pierre Thomas got concussed on the first drive and fumbled on the goal line.  Sproles uncharacteristcally fumbled punt returns, Brees throws a couple picks, and despite all this, we still score 32 points against one of the best defenses in the league including two go ahead TDs in the fourth quarter.  And yet our defense still gives up a last minute TD drive to Alex Smith.

Since I don't have to prove it, I get to say we would have won the super bowl had we won that game.

42 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@packerrfan74 I still can't believe GB didn't win that SEA game 

I can the Packers offense played legitimately bad the majority of the game and failed to capitalize off six turnovers and as a result it was close at the end and one key play decided the game. Despite all the turnovers the Packers only had 16 points at the half.

20 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

2011 divisional round vs 49ers.  Pierre Thomas got concussed on the first drive and fumbled on the goal line.  Sproles uncharacteristcally fumbled punt returns, Brees throws a couple picks, and despite all this, we still score 32 points against one of the best defenses in the league including two go ahead TDs in the fourth quarter.  And yet our defense still gives up a last minute TD drive to Alex Smith.

Since I don't have to prove it, I get to say we would have won the super bowl had we won that game.

The best part is, the 49ers fans get to say that as well about the following week against the Giants. Everyone wins! 

You know, except the actual 49er and Saints teams. 

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I can the Packers offense played legitimately bad the majority of the game and failed to capitalize off six turnovers and as a result it was close at the end and one key play decided the game. Despite all the turnovers the Packers only had 16 points at the half.

It still came down to a terrible onside kick recovery, and a Russell Wilson blind magic toss.   A bad way to lose.

1 minute ago, renndawg37 said:

GettyImages-2012587.jpg?w=630&h=420&zc=1

Not trying to add salt to the wound or anything, and it's kind of impossible to answer, but I wonder if it's worse to have your most heartbreaking loss also associated with one of the more iconic football images in history. Maybe it doesn't add anything or maybe it does, I don't know...guess I'll have the answer if the 49ers suffer another major heartbreak and there is a similar image captured. 

Archived