Most heart breaking loss

Hunter2_1

Just now, Forge said:

Not trying to add salt to the wound or anything, and it's kind of impossible to answer, but I wonder if it's worse to have your most heartbreaking loss also associated with one of the more iconic football images in history. Maybe it doesn't add anything or maybe it does, I don't know...guess I'll have the answer if the 49ers suffer another major heartbreak and there is a similar image captured. 

It doesn't help lol. Just devastating all around. The Rams were a great team, but it doesn't make it any easier. Rest in peace Steve :(

Broncos-Ravens.jpg

I think Broncos fans will agree with me that even the Seahawks blowout Superbowl loss wasn't as devastating as the Baltimore Ravens/Broncos 2012 divisional round playoff loss.  The one where Manning's first season as a Bronco took a 13-3 team into the playoffs with such high hopes, only to be crushed by Rahim Moore's inability to even put a finger on a Hail Mary pass from Flacco to Jacoby Jones. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not trying to add salt to the wound or anything, and it's kind of impossible to answer, but I wonder if it's worse to have your most heartbreaking loss also associated with one of the more iconic football images in history. Maybe it doesn't add anything or maybe it does, I don't know...guess I'll have the answer if the 49ers suffer another major heartbreak and there is a similar image captured. 

Helmet catch says yes for me. 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

The worst part is after this play happened on the play before:

TatteredImaginaryJapanesebeetle-small.gi

Felt like there was no way Steve was gonna be denied in not only tying, but winning that game in OT.

Clip at 1:40 shows it much better. Mike Keith's call of "gets away somehow" probably describes it as best it could be.

The play Mike Jones made doesn't get enough credit. He had to have the grip strength to hold on to Kevin Dyson's legs(who was running at full speed pretty much) and prevent him from getting in to the end zone. I don't think it's stated enough how difficult that is.

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

Oh please, it's not like you haven't seen them win 5 other super bowls. Give me a break.

We were going for more than a Super Bowl, you wouldn't understand. People who never won a Super Bowl don't know what it's like when you start getting into the legacy component of it that the team you are watching might be something that is historically great. It makes it matter more than an average Super Bowl. You want your team and franchise to be remembered for being great.

It's why Super Bowl 36 hit Rams players harder who were looking to be considered one of the greatest offenses ever and why Super Bowl 49 basically tore the Seahawks apart who were on the verge of being the defense that beat Manning and Brady in back to back Super Bowls 

As much as the first one was great. I think the prospects of winning 4 in seven years and having the first undefeated team since the early 70's and solidifying yourself as the best team ever and arguably best dynasty ever right there (about 9 years before they did that) was bigger to Patriots fans.

Patriots might be the greatest dynasty ever. Tom Brady might be the best QB ever. Bill Belichick might be the greatest coach ever. But when the story is written on them there will be a section about how their signature accomplishment was snatched away from them. How the best team that arguably ever went on a field didn't get it done. 

You wouldn't understand.

Just now, lancerman said:

We were going for more than a Super Bowl, you wouldn't understand. People who never won a Super Bowl don't know what it's like when you start getting into the legacy component of it that the team you are watching might be something that is historically great. It makes it matter more than an average Super Bowl. You want your team and franchise to be remembered for being great.

It's why Super Bowl 36 hit Rams players harder who were looking to be considered one of the greatest offenses ever and why Super Bowl 49 basically tore the Seahawks apart who were on the verge of being the defense that beat Manning and Brady in back to back Super Bowls 

As much as the first one was great. I think the prospects of winning 4 in seven years and having the first undefeated team since the early 70's and solidifying yourself as the best team ever and arguably best dynasty ever right there (about 9 years before they did that) was bigger to Patriots fans.

Patriots might be the greatest dynasty ever. Tom Brady might be the best QB ever. Bill Belichick might be the greatest coach ever. But when the story is written on them there will be a section about how their signature accomplishment was snatched away from them. How the best team that arguably ever went on a field didn't get it done. 

You wouldn't understand.

First-World-Problems.jpg

I'll also add on top of the losses to the 49ers in the SB:

• 2005-2006 playoff loss to the Steelers where Carson tore his ACL
  • 2015-2016 playoff loss to the Steelers with Burficts dirty hit.

The Carson one probably hurts the most.  Remember after he went down just how dejected I was.  I had a lot of hope that season.

The latest loss, didn't really hurt at all to be honest.  But I was just beyond disappointed with the way we lost.  I didn't think the team had any chance in the playoffs that year but to get kicked out of the playoffs on a cheap/dirty hit from Burfict was embarrassing...

Archived