Most heart breaking loss

Hunter2_1

As a Dolphin fan (whose long term effects have been worse than any one single loss) I can't say the most heartbreaking loss was my only experience of a Super Bowl appearance in SB XIX b/c it was Marino's rookie year, and it felt almost certain that the Dolphins would be back at some point for redemption.

So then, for me, the worst heartbreaking loss came on Jan. 17, 1992 in the AFC Championship vs the Bills. My pops and I scored tickets on row 1 directly next to the tunnel and it was the Dolphins best chance to redeem that fulfillment. Yet, the Dolphins failed, again; and miserably.

Closest to that was Jan. 8, 1995 in the AFC Championship game vs the Chargers where Pete Stoyanovich, who had a very solid career, missed a last second FG and we lost by a single point.

Both of those conference championship games represent my heart ache as a Dolphin fan and are still the closest I've ever seen the Dolphins get a shot at the Lombardi trophy besides the actual appearance and loss in '85. But, just like my thoughts in Marino's rookie year, we'll get back and win sometime . . . right? Eh, I doubt it more than ever now, to be honest.

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Cundiff!!!!!

Seriously. I have nightmares about this 

Somehow, I feel like this was a loss we needed in order to win it all the following year. Obviously that's not based on anything concrete, but I don't know how we would have fared against that Giants team in 2012.

Besides the two Super Bowl losses:

2006 AFC Championship @ Colts: Although our playoff streak ended the previous season in Denver, we accepted the fact we had to lose sometime after starting 10-0. Here, however, we had 100% expectations to beat Indy like usual and win our fourth Super Bowl against a highly flawed Bears team that we beat in the regular season. After being up 21-6, everything was going according to script. Then out of nowhere, our once vaunted defense just couldn't keep Indy out of the end zone and our offense was stuck in mud, largely because of this bum:

patriots-100-plays-reche-caldwell-number

This game to me is what killed our postseason mystique, not Super Bowl XLII.

Week 11 2015 @ Denver: It's easy to say the AFC Championship that year, but it's because of this disaster we had to play that game in Denver; had we won this game we win the tiebreaker despite the frustrating end to the season. We had this game practically wrapped up before we allowed 2 long passes from Osweiler and committed a bunch of boneheaded penalties. Oh, and it snapped our 10-0 start as well.

Both of the AFC Championship games. Closest many Jets fans have seen this franchise to getting to a Super Bowl. I don't think that  '10 Jets team would of beaten the Packers but if it did it would of beat Peyton, Brady, Ben, and Rodgers all in their primes and been widely considered the greatest defense ever.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

49ers vs Ravens super bowl for me, more than likely

Also Roger Craig fumble game against the Giants in the playoffs and the Kyle Williams fumble game against the Giants. 

Now that I think of it, we play some fun games with the Giants in the playoffs - those don't include the monster Jeff Garcia / Trey Junkin game where we actually one. 

Add in the loss in the NFCCG to the Seahawks too, that was brutal.

Just now, steadypimpin said:

Add in the loss in the NFCCG to the Seahawks too, that was brutal.

That one for some reason didn't affect me as much. Maybe because I thought from the jump that we were going to get beat, I don't know. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

That one for some reason didn't affect me as much. Maybe because I thought from the jump that we were going to get beat, I don't know. 

Not me. I thought we had a great shot. It was our time to show out Seattle since they gave us trouble in the Harbs era.

The loss to the Ravens was so bad for me. I still won't ever watch a replay of that game. 

The loss to the Giants hurt too because there were so many reasons we should have won that game. I knew Kyle was gonna fumble after the way he was so careless returning all game. Jacobs FUMBLED, we should have won after that. Alex going 1/13 on 3rd downs was terrible. We should've went to the SB that year.

Thanks a lot to whoever made this thread...

Vikings vs Falcons NFC Championship game. That Vikes team was dominate in Moss' rookie year. Gary Anderson, who was perfect all year, missed a FG that would have increased the lead by two scores late in the 4th quarter. 

Vikings vs Saints was rough too but you kind of knew Favre and Childress would find a way to mess it up at the end.

31 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Sorry, I didn’t realize this thread only pertained to losing franchises?

Good luck extracting any empathy for 18-1 from anyone but Patriot fans.

Of all my football gear I have a few favorites. One is an authentic aqua Dolphins jersey "#72 SHULA" that represents the only undefeated team in NFL history. The other is a t-shirt I got my hands on that followed the 18-1 season . . .

NEPatriots19-0.jpg

When I finally found it, after months of searching, I bought two. I usually where it under my #72 Shula jersey. :D And yes, I'm petty and proud of it.

17 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

#2 most definitely, but unless you weren't alive or weren't yet a fan, can't see anything being even close to SBXXXIV

I was 10 years old at the time. The gravity of the loss didn't impact me the way that the loss to the Ravens did. It was during my freshman year in college, and I was dealing with a lot of things in my personal life at the time. The Titans 13-3 season (as well as the ECU Pirates football team) that year was one of the lone bright moments for me, and was essentially the one thing I could turn to and have some joy during that time period. So when I watched that game unfold, the fumbles in the redzone, CJ2K being intentionally injured, the delay of game that was never called, to have such a spectacular season cut short with that game... that impacted me far greater than the Super Bowl I watched at my neighbors house when I was just a boy.

1987 loss to the Vikings. 49ers were clearly the best team in the NFL that year. Especially over the last month of the regular season. Then they completely choke against Minnesota at home. Montana actually got benched in this game.

Also, 1990 loss to the Giants where Craig fumbled. 49ers would have went on to face the Bills, but I don't know how they would fare with Young starting that game on such short notice. But alas, no three peat.

2012 loss to the Ravens. Can't believe we didn't run Gore at the goal line. Stupid. Getting mad all over again just typing about it.

For older fans 1972 loss against Dallas in the divisional round might sting the worst. I'm sure the name Preston Riley comes to mind.

2 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Good luck extracting any empathy for 18-1 from anyone but Patriot fans.

Of all my football gear I have a few favorites. One is an authentic aqua Dolphins jersey "#72 SHULA" that represents the only undefeated team in NFL history. The other is a t-shirt I got my hands on that followed the 18-1 season . . .

NEPatriots19-0.jpg

When I finally found it, after months of searching, I bought two. I usually where it under my #72 Shula jersey. :D And yes, I'm petty and proud of it.

Wasn’t looking for sympathy per se, just sort of giving my two cents?

shrug

Archived