53-man roster moves: Agim, Muti, J-Johnson cut, Malik Reed traded; 3 players to IR

Broncofan

17 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Nice story but I’m surprised he beat Seth Williams.   He played well though to be sure.   

World class speed, proven ability to make difficult catches + return ability. He was the only guy I thought they couldn’t sneak through waivers of the WRs. I like Seth Williams but you can find a guy like that anywhere. 

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

World class speed, proven ability to make difficult catches + return ability. He was the only guy I thought they couldn’t sneak through waivers of the WRs. I like Seth Williams but you can find a guy like that anywhere. 

Yeah once I saw Brandon Johnson on IR made the team it made sense.    I thought both were released.   Needed 1 guy to be the big-body guy backing up Sutton but didn’t need both.     They can live with no obv backup early on.  

I mentioned it in the other TC thread but Vigil did everything to get a spot on someone’s roster or PS.    Just a numbers game.   No problem with the choice esp with Johnson still on the team.   

Edited by Broncofan

Seeing that Aaron Patrick / Vigil and so many DB’s making the team one thing is clear - ST’s should have a ton of athleticism and speed.  Patrick also flashed on D (albeit vs. backups but still all you can do).    It would be disappointing if our ST didn’t take a step forward from our past struggles.   

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’m more surprised Cleveland made the team with as little as he showed in TC, Stukyes must’ve really pounded that table.

Dont think you’ve seen the last of Williamseithee, especially with Brandon hitting IR this year

Edited by Cutler06

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

What's the deal with Netane Muti not making the team? I follow Dalton Risner and for a while articles were coming out that Muti was close to taking his spot. Now Risner remains and Muti isn't even on the 53 man roster?

I think it has to be his health. He's had some pretty serious issues since college.

So if we bring back Purcell and Tomlinson and put Ojemudia and Dulcich on IR, it’ll be interesting to see what 7 players are chosen to be inactive on game day. My guess would be:

1. Jalen Virgil - 6th string WR and Cleveland will be active over him for special teams purposes

2. Cam Fleming - 4th string OT. Might well get cut once Compton is healthy.

3. Luke Wattenberg - Glasgow can backup C and both OG spots.

4. Jonathon Cooper - Won’t make the 2-deep at OLB and I think Patrick will be active as a special teams ace.

5. Essang Bassey - I think Mathis can backup all three corner spots 

6. Delarrin Turner-Yell - No room for 5 safeties to be active on game day and PJ Locke gets the nod for special teams

7. Eric Tomlinson - The two Eric’s basically do the same job so I think either Tomlinson or Saubert will be inactive. I’m leaning Tomlinson because Saubert seems to have better chemistry with Russell Wilson. 

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I think it has to be his health. He's had some pretty serious issues since college.

Glasgow and Wattenberg both having center/guard versatility also hurt him. 

Muti has been a better player in theory than what he has ever shown in the NFL. We all know he can be an asset to a downhill rushing attack, but pass pro was always a disaster and I’m not convinced he was ever a good fit for outside zone. I really think they were trying to move him before the knee injury. 

We didn’t claim anyone off the waivers. That’s encouraging. Paton and Hackett feel good about what we’ve got already.

None of our players were claimed either.

Practice squad signings per Mike Klis

QB Josh Johnson

WR Kendall Hinton

CBs Faion Hicks and JaQuan McMillian

TE Dylan Parham (Turned down other offers to stay in Denver)

OG Netane Muti

DE/DT McTelvin Agim

Klis also reports that WR Seth Williams was invited to join the practice squad but opted to go elsewhere as our WR is deep enough that it’s unlikely he’d get called up to the 53.

Well a couple of familiar faces making it back to the PS

I like the fact Hinton comes back - he knows the roster very well, and it's only his 4th year as a true WR.   I don't think he's a massive hidden gem, but as a depth piece, he's decent (esp while he's on cheap rookie year deal).   I wouldn't mind if we looked elsewhere for QB, but I can't deny J-Johnson also should know the system.   Having only 2 QB's on the 53 man roster will certainly help our depth elsewhere.