53-man roster moves: Agim, Muti, J-Johnson cut, Malik Reed traded; 3 players to IR

Broncofan

39 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Interesting that we kept all of our own guys and didn't venture into anyone else's cuts. 

16 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree. I’m surprised we haven’t added anyone from outside.

Technically we did claim Gemmell the week before (not surprising with ILB).   And we don't know if Paton got sniped on claims (for example, Chicago's claim on Armon Watts, who Paton is very familiar with, for example - @broncosfan_101 mentioned that earlier).    Any team that finished below us has priority. 

Still, it does signal our roster is getting deeper.   Not having to mine other teams' cuts to fill the roster with multiple guys is a good sign.   ILB/DL are the areas that remain most vulnerable, so it will be interesting to see how Paton addresses that, or if he's satisfied.   Remember that if you wait until after Week 1 to sign veteran FA's, their salaries are week-to-week only, but if you sign them now - you're guaranteeing the full salary for the entire year.   That's a big influence on delaying signings until after Week 1.

How Paton acts after Week 1 will be a lot more telling IMO than right now, given the financial incentives.  I think it's a game we'll see many teams play.

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Technically we did claim Gemmell the week before (not surprising with ILB).   And we don't know if Paton got sniped on claims (for example, Chicago's claim on Armon Watts, who Paton is very familiar with, for example - @broncosfan_101 mentioned that earlier).    Any team that finished below us has priority. 

Still, it does signal our roster is getting deeper.   Not having to mine other teams' cuts to fill the roster with multiple guys is a good sign.   ILB/DL are the areas that remain most vulnerable, so it will be interesting to see how Paton addresses that, or if he's satisfied.

Surprised we didn't try to sign Gemmell onto our PS, given our lack of depth/talent there, if for no other reason than to see more of what he might become.

4 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Surprised we didn't try to sign Gemmell onto our PS, given our lack of depth/talent there, if for no other reason than to see more of what he might become.

I agree, but as we have 3 more unused spots, think we just wait and see what shakes down for those last 3 spots.

Edited by Broncofan

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Other than ILB / DL depth I agree if you've invested the time, and the guys are young, you're better off to stay the course.    As you referenced, I think the last few Elway years, the roster depth just wasn't there.   He was a wizard with UDFA and bargain FA's, but the Day 2 failures eventually mounted to the point where we saw such roster moves.   Elway deserves our love and respect, but it's always good to have sober eyes and recognize the weaknesses.   The best GM's learn from them and evolve.   It's early but it's hard not to be excited about Paton's work so far.   Finding guys like Yell-Turner, Vigil & Carter, it speaks well to him & the scouting department. 

sober eyes is savage lmao 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I still think they need to add a vet corner. The depth there is scary even if you’re excited about what Mathis could become. 

Full credit you were prescient here.  Can't say I'll miss Bassey, out of all the guys I think the least likely to succeed as an impact guy.

On 9/1/2022 at 2:14 PM, Broncofan said:

The other part that makes even more sense - Phillips adds even more ST chops.    Stukes really isn't going to have any excuses if we don't perform here.

This is a nice pickup. He played well for the Raiders in preseason. Was a bit of a surprise cut as they held onto 2 UDRFA in the secondary. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

WR Brandon Johnson waived with injury settlement.....WTF ???

https://www.profootballrumors.com/denver-broncos-news-rumors

Because he was put on season-ending IR (before 53-man roster cuts were made), they can't move him to IR-return without waiving him.      Otherwise he couldn't return until next year.  This way, if he clears waivers, they can put him on IR again, and he can return after 4 games.   Basically, it's a risk that teams won't claim him to their 53-man roster, given we're 2 days from live games starting.    Then they can stash him on IR again, but have the option of bringing him back sometime this year.

I'd guess that's the angle.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 7:12 PM, Broncofan said:

Because he was put on season-ending IR (before 53-man roster cuts were made), they can't move him to IR-return without waiving him.      Otherwise he couldn't return until next year.  This way, if he clears waivers, they can put him on IR again, and he can return after 4 games.   Basically, it's a risk that teams won't claim him to their 53-man roster, given we're 2 days from live games starting.    Then they can stash him on IR again, but have the option of bringing him back sometime this year.

I'd guess that's the angle.

He was actually placed on season-ending IR.  See update at top of following site:

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/30/denver-broncos-news-brandon-johnson-cut-before-53-man-roster/

10 hours ago, medisback said:

He was actually placed on season-ending IR.  See update at top of following site:

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/30/denver-broncos-news-brandon-johnson-cut-before-53-man-roster/

That was Aug 30.  Releasing him from season ending IR with an injury settlement Tuesday allows them to put him on non-season ending IR - but only if he clears waivers.    So it’s a calculated risk.   But that’s the likely goal.   

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/broncos-taking-risk-wr-brandon-215456674.html

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

That was Aug 30.  Releasing him from season ending IR with an injury settlement Tuesday allows them to put him on non-season ending IR - but only if he clears waivers.    So it’s a calculated risk.   But that’s the likely goal.   

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/broncos-taking-risk-wr-brandon-215456674.html

The update I thought was this Tuesday…

“Story update: The Broncos announced Tuesday afternoon that Brandon Johnson has been placed on injured reserve, ruling him out for the entire 2022 season. He was not waived with an injury designation as originally reported. See our original post below.”