53-man roster moves: Agim, Muti, J-Johnson cut, Malik Reed traded; 3 players to IR

Broncofan

14 minutes ago, medisback said:

The update I thought was this Tuesday…

“Story update: The Broncos announced Tuesday afternoon that Brandon Johnson has been placed on injured reserve, ruling him out for the entire 2022 season. He was not waived with an injury designation as originally reported. See our original post below.”

The timeline on that article clearly says Aug 30, 2022 - on the upper left of the article.  

A bunch of beat reporters have confirmed the release & waiver-clearing gamble.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/broncos-waive-brandon-johnson-injured-reserve-settlement

Edited by Broncofan

Well, Johnson will/has certainly cleared waivers by today but no word from the Broncos resigning him yet. For a guys that was projected to make this 53-man roster, perhaps his injury is more serious than let on. Heck, even Seth Williams was claimed already. More to come on this matter ???

18 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, Johnson will/has certainly cleared waivers by today but no word from the Broncos resigning him yet. For a guys that was projected to make this 53-man roster, perhaps his injury is more serious than let on. Heck, even Seth Williams was claimed already. More to come on this matter ???

The rules on injury settlements say that teams can't re-sign the player for 6 weeks after the settlement ends - to prevent exactly what we are trying to do.  So Johnson has to clear waivers (done) AND avoid getting signed by another team in the next 6 weeks after whatever agreement we gave him (IE if we paid him for 4 weeks, then can't sign him for 10 weeks).   So it's a big a risk and for him, not getting paid in those 6 weeks after our settlement expires, I wouldn't blame him if any new opp came up for him.   This is why it's not done that often - there's risk in not clearing waivers, but also you have to wait at least half a season (I think the shortest injury settlement can be for 3 weeks, but not clear on that), and any other team can poach him without penalty, other than it offsetting the $ we gave him if they sign him in the timeframe where's he's getting paid by us (IE in example above, if they sign him before Week 3, we get half of the $ back).

Best link that describes this:

https://www.nationalfootballpost.com/columns/off-the-field/what-is-an-injury-settlement/

Bottom line - whatever we agreed to pay him, we can't bring him back to the team on contract for 6 weeks after.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The rules on injury settlements say that teams can't re-sign the player for 6 weeks after the settlement ends - to prevent exactly what we are trying to do.  So Johnson has to clear waivers (done) AND avoid getting signed by another team in the next 6 weeks after whatever agreement we gave him (IE if we paid him for 4 weeks, then can't sign him for 10 weeks).   So it's a big a risk and for him, not getting paid in those 6 weeks after our settlement expires, I wouldn't blame him if any new opp came up for him.   This is why it's not done that often - there's risk in not clearing waivers, but also you have to wait at least half a season (I think the shortest injury settlement can be for 3 weeks, but not clear on that), and any other team can poach him without penalty, other than it offsetting the $ we gave him if they sign him in the timeframe where's he's getting paid by us (IE in example above, if they sign him before Week 3, we get half of the $ back).

https://www.nationalfootballpost.com/columns/off-the-field/what-is-an-injury-settlement/

Bottom line - whatever we agreed to pay him, we can't bring him back to the team on contract for 6 weeks after.   

Wow, that's great info there, 6 weeks is a long time for that risk IMO, hope it turns out for the best. Not sure I wouldn't have just kept him on IR to keep his rights if they liked him that much so not sure what the team is thinking here. 

Edited by Cutler06

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, Cutler06 said:

On 9/10/2022 at 9:09 AM, Broncofan said:

On 9/10/2022 at 11:40 AM, Cutler06 said:

Wow, that's great info there, 6 weeks is a long time for that risk IMO, hope it turns out for the best. Not sure I wouldn't have just kept him on IR to keep his rights if they liked him that much so not sure what the team is thinking here. 

Well it pays off.  Back on PS.   And if he stays there until past 11th game - he doesn’t accumulate any service time either.   So this is really smart roster management move - we get 4 more rookie years after this season.    Risky but right call.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Well it pays off.  Back on PS.   And if he stays there until past 11th game - he doesn’t accumulate any service time either.   So this is really smart roster management move - we get 4 more rookie years after this season.    Risky but right call.  

EXCELLENT NEWS !

Why would we not, at some point, take a chance on the ST coverage ability of Virgil (or Johnson now I guess) and have them active over Ty Cleveland?

Hinton and Cleveland bring us nothing Offensively. I know many disagree on the former, but Hinton struggles to separate and isn't an excellent pass catcher to compensate.

Get some players out there who can give us a spark. They don't know the system? That is why you COACH. I was told a main benefit of this Hackett/Shanahan/McVay style Offense was it's simplicity to learn; show it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Why would we not, at some point, take a chance on the ST coverage ability of Virgil (or Johnson now I guess) and have them active over Ty Cleveland?

Hinton and Cleveland bring us nothing Offensively. I know many disagree on the former, but Hinton struggles to separate and isn't an excellent pass catcher to compensate.

Get some players out there who can give us a spark. They don't know the system? That is why you COACH. I was told a main benefit of this Hackett/Shanahan/McVay style Offense was it's simplicity to learn; show it.

I agree with all but the bolded. The offense is notoriously difficult to learn and master. That’s why 30 years on it still hasn’t swept the league the way the bill Walsh WCO did (which WAS simple)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I agree with all but the bolded. The offense is notoriously difficult to learn and master. That’s why 30 years on it still hasn’t swept the league the way the bill Walsh WCO did (which WAS simple)

Hmm. I've read quite a bit on how the system is based on deception, in that the same formations/motions can look the same (i.e not many formations to learn) but with subtle differences.

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Hmm. I've read quite a bit on how the system is based on deception, in that the same formations/motions can look the same (i.e not many formations to learn) but with subtle differences.

Right! The collective timing and precision required in this scheme is greater than in other schemes. Additionally, for the offensive line, they may be pulling to the left the same for a large number of plays (thus why it looks the same) but the WRs have to be reading their read and make the same read as the QB and run the route that the QB is anticipating based on their shared read of the Defense. 

it’s why Rodgers has struggled this year without Adams. He’s making reads and delivering the ball to places that the receiver isn’t there. It’s why previously under appreciated/drafted receivers like Smith and mccaffery beat out high draft picks like Anthony Miller and mike Pritchard.

this scheme is simple in design but very hard to execute. Especially when you never play 2 consecutive games with the same 5 OL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

They seem to have just given up on the outside zone run game. What a surprise that the running game would struggle so much after abandoning the scheme they learned all offseason. 

“All off-season” is a bit of a misnomer, the classroom work notwithstanding, it’s not like this team (or most NFL) teams actually “practice” in the sense that we’re used to. 

On 10/20/2022 at 12:05 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

On 10/20/2022 at 2:12 AM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Right! The collective timing and precision required in this scheme is greater than in other schemes. Additionally, for the offensive line, they may be pulling to the left the same for a large number of plays (thus why it looks the same) but the WRs have to be reading their read and make the same read as the QB and run the route that the QB is anticipating based on their shared read of the Defense. 

it’s why Rodgers has struggled this year without Adams. He’s making reads and delivering the ball to places that the receiver isn’t there. It’s why previously under appreciated/drafted receivers like Smith and mccaffery beat out high draft picks like Anthony Miller and mike Pritchard.

this scheme is simple in design but very hard to execute. Especially when you never play 2 consecutive games with the same 5 OL.

Interesting discussion. I can't even recognize what people call a WCO anymore. IMO unless you're using a fullback a lot and your base look is an I formation I don't think it's a WCO. Walsh or Shanahan could line up every play in an I and call an entire game from that and never repeat a play. Pre snap shifts, motion, and varying route tree's made that an incredibly tough offense to stop. 

• Like 1