53-man roster moves: Agim, Muti, J-Johnson cut, Malik Reed traded; 3 players to IR

Broncofan

45 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, it's a lot easier to convert 3rd downs if you actually get positive yardage on the 1st 2 downs.   And again, I'm not suggesting we ONLY pass - but we're doing it the wrong way - by being completely predictable.   There's a reason why run-run-pass gets so criticized - with inefficient teams, it further increases the likelihood of 3-and-out.  The fact Hackett thinks we should be running better - besides the personnel issues (which are legit), the complete predictability of our play sequencing makes it 10x easier to defend.   It's all connected, yet he thinks in terms of such simple statements...that are repeated each week.  To say he's overmatched is just such an understatement.

I've finally figured out our offensive scheme. It's not the WCO, Air Coryell or Earhardt Perkins.

Our particular scheme is called " It worked on Madden".

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, it's a lot easier to convert 3rd downs if you actually get positive yardage on the 1st 2 downs.   And again, I'm not suggesting we ONLY pass - but we're doing it the wrong way - by being completely predictable.   There's a reason why run-run-pass gets so criticized - with inefficient teams, it further increases the likelihood of 3-and-out.  The fact Hackett thinks we should be running better - besides the personnel issues (which are legit), the complete predictability of our play sequencing makes it 10x easier to defend.   It's all connected, yet he thinks in terms of such simple statements...that are repeated each week.  To say he's overmatched is just such an understatement.

Except that’s not the case with this team. They’ve run it 48 times on 1st down and passed it 89 times.

Russ’ inability to see the middle of the field, coupled with his decreased ability to run, and our horrible OL has lead to those passes being ineffective.  When all of your passes are bombs or screens it makes for a horrible 1st down offense. 

this leads to more 3rd downs (we have the highest rate of 3rd downs per 1st down 130:154, meaning we’ve only converted on 1st or 2nd down 24 times all season)

Additionally, we HAVE been horrible on 3rd down (2nd worse in the league converting 28.5%) 

it’s not from a lack of scheming guys open. Russ simply is not a fit for this scheme and the OL does not allow for us to run what makes Russ successful (starts with a strong run game to draw the D to the middle of the line which opens up play action, deep balls, and screens)

that being said Hackett has got to go because he doesn’t have this team ready every week and he chose his assistants with no experience. 

But if we don’t fix the OL it will be more of the same Next year

• Like 6

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Except that’s not the case with this team. They’ve run it 48 times on 1st down and passed it 89 times.

Russ’ inability to see the middle of the field, coupled with his decreased ability to run, and our horrible OL has lead to those passes being ineffective.  When all of your passes are bombs or screens it makes for a horrible 1st down offense. 

this leads to more 3rd downs (we have the highest rate of 3rd downs per 1st down 130:154, meaning we’ve only converted on 1st or 2nd down 24 times all season)

Additionally, we HAVE been horrible on 3rd down (2nd worse in the league converting 28.5%) 

it’s not from a lack of scheming guys open. Russ simply is not a fit for this scheme and the OL does not allow for us to run what makes Russ successful (starts with a strong run game to draw the D to the middle of the line which opens up play action, deep balls, and screens)

that being said Hackett has got to go because he doesn’t have this team ready every week and he chose his assistants with no experience. 

That's entirely fair, I'm venting about the year in general when I said run/run/pass.    Keep in mind those #'s are a reflection that we have gone more pass heavy on 1st down the last 2 games (and in the 1H for LAC too) - TEN though is a byproduct of having the top rated run D by DVOA, and JAX it was actually the right call.    Against JAX, we ran the ball on 1st down 6x & threw 15x on 1st - the runs went for 0, 1, 2, 3 and then in the 4Q, when we had a lead - 4 yards - followed by another 1 yard run (protecting a lead though and JAX was playing for it).   

Against TEN we ran the ball 5x and threw it 18x (the 2 Wilson runs were off passing plays, so have to count that as passing on 1st).    And in the 1H vs. LAC - we went 1 run & 9 pass on 1st down.   It's no coincidence we had our greatest success in 1H LAC and JAX.   

It's also mind boggling how we then ran on 1st vs. LAC for 7 of the last 8 first downs in 2H/OT, and 9 runs out of 12 1st downs in the entire 2H <to be fair, 3 of the first 4 2H runs had early success and the Chargers are vulnerable, but the last 5 were completely snuffed out because...again...Hackett was uber-predictable>.     But yeah, it's fair to say to say they're passing it more on 1st later (TEN was a necessity, JAX it was the right call, and LAC 1H it was actually our most successful half).

If we take away the last 2 games - we ran the ball on 1st 37/93 times in the first 7 games - that's just below 40 percent.   That's a top 8 rate in the league.    For how bad we are at running the ball, that's insanity.   Yes, it's better of late - but the reality is that Hackett's conclusion now thinks we need to go the other way.  The reason why I raise it now - post-game Hackett himself put out the "we need to run the ball better" and "I don't know why the run game isn't better".    I posted it on Sunday or Monday, but here it is again:

To say those are the completely opposite conclusions with our OL & RB corps, well....I don't know what else to say.     To be clear, I'd love for us to run the ball well....but with our OL and RB's, we can't.   It's that simple.   But Hackett's conclusion isn't that he needs to figure it out with Wilson, it's we need to run more.  That's the path to abject failure with our team.

Realistically, if we don't succeed on 1st down, we're dead in the water, and it gets worse with Hackett (and yes Wilson too, not absolving him either).    To be clear, when I say we should pass-run more often - it's predicated on the pass play getting more success.    We run on 1st down, outside of the LAC game (where the right call is to run, but not so predictably they can guess right every time), we're averaging less than 2 YPC since Javonte went down.    And when Glasgow was the C, it was definitely a better call to pass it - now with him down....man.   

There's no easy fix, either - because our OL issues are for sure just as much a problem now (and still was a problem b4, just not the same with 3rd stringers) - I think no one would argue OL and DL have to be top FA priorities and OL top draft priority as well (Cover rangy ILB Rd3+?).

Edited by Broncofan

13 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

This is insane. 1st and 10 should give you favorable matchups against off coverage and instead it might be the worst early down passing offenses I’ve ever seen. And Russ is by far the biggest problem here. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I really have to give Pete Carroll some credit here. For the last 10 years, that man has been putting on a master class on how to cover up your quarterback’s deficiencies. Who would’ve guessed after all these pro bowl seasons, that Russell Wilson would have such a glaring Achilles’ heel?

I’ve always known Wilson was a bit on the short side, but never realized how much of a liability that actually is for him. All those years of moving their protection schemes around, moving him around.. I always assumed that was to take advantage of his athleticism. And I’m sure that was part of it. But now it’s become pretty obvious to me that they were also doing that to help him find his receivers because he clearly can’t see over the line.  

This doesn’t bode well. He’s 33 and certainly not the athlete he was 5-6 years ago. If he actually depends on that to see his throwing lanes then Houston, we might have a serious problem.     

Edited by 1234567
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I really have to give Pete Carroll some credit here. For the last 10 years, that man has been putting on a master class on how to cover up your quarterback’s deficiencies. Who would’ve guessed after all these pro bowl seasons, that Russell Wilson would have such a glaring Achilles’ heel?

I’ve always known Wilson was a bit on the short side, but never realized how much of a liability that actually is for him. All those years of moving their protection schemes around, moving him around.. I always assumed that was to take advantage of his athleticism. And I’m sure that was part of it. But now it’s become pretty obvious to me that they were also doing that to help him find his receivers because he clearly can’t see over the line.  

This doesn’t bode well. He’s 33 and certainly not the athlete he was 5-6 years ago. If he actually depends on that to see his throwing lanes then Houston, we might have a serious problem.     

That same Pete Carroll is doing wonders for Geno Smith also. Who knew Geno was that good.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The big Q with CFL QB's  - the speed isn't the same, and the windows are a lot tighter in the NFL.   But I'd have zero problem with bringing him in as a UDFA and hoping he can win the backup job next year, and be a free shot if Wilson can't get fixed next year.    There hasn't been a CFL-to-NFL success story since Jeff Garcia and Warren Moon (Doug Flutie kinda, but he was really in the twilight of his career, and wouldn't have succeeded in today's NFL).    But if it's free....why not.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Given how much power / gap they use it’s a good fit for him.   It’s too bad we could get a pick for him b4 trade deadline or the preseason but didn’t play enough to get any value.  

Excellent use of Muti by our infinitely talented OL coaches.

5 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Excellent use of Muti by our infinitely talented OL coaches.

I guess Wattenberg is a rookie (so he's cost-controlled for 3 more years) and has the ability to play C, but the coaches going with him starting at G vs. Chris Jones was a massive reason for the O's slow start vs. KC last week.   That was a brutally bad decision.   Even if Muti failed miserably, then you go to Bailey sooner.   Wattenberg had no business playing G last week.  SMH there. 

Edited by Broncofan