Should a safety be worth more than two points?

Dome

Should a safety be worth more than two points?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the compensation for tackling a team in their own endzone?

• 2 points and a possession seems fair.
    • More than 2 points but less than 6 and an extra possession seems fair.
    • A full 6 points and they should get the extra possession.
    • 6 points, but they shouldn't get an extra posession as well.

IMO it's harder to get a safety than a pick-6 or a fumble return. They're certainly more rare. 

Should a safety be worth more than 2 points? Or is 2-point and getting the ball back a fair return for a safety?

This could increase the value of good punters as well, and maybe make more teams more likely to go for it in 4th and goal situations on offense if they have a dangerous front-7 coming out if they fail. 

2 points and possession seems like a fair return. Pick-6s and fumble returns are more common, sure, but you also give the ball back to the other offense. Safeties should be harder to get and since it's the only way to score without actually having possession of the ball, 2 points + the possession seems good enough to me.

Debated about this with a buddy of mine before. As mentioned before, the fact you're getting the ball back along with the 2 points is more than adequate. A safety has the potential of costing a team up to 10 points. So no, leave the current rule as is.

You get the ball back, which would be totally unfair if the safety counted for 6 points.  If you didn't get the ball back, then it is worth more than two points, because in that scenario, you're better off forcing them to punt in terrible field position.

If it was decided to make the safety more than two points, then the punting units would become even more important, which may lead to a change in strategy that may or may not positively effect the game:

Counting a defensive stop for negative yards as 6 points seems crazy to me.

The only positive that it would bring is when a punter has the snap go over his head he is going to have to do something better than just letting the ball (or helping it) go out of the endzone. Lets watch him pick that thing up and do something with it.

Late in a game your defense make a stop with a 13-10 lead forcing a punt which was downed at the 3. The first play the QB hits an 8 yard out but the referees call a phantom holding penalty in the endzone, all of a sudden people aren't going to like that a bad holding penalty resulted in the defense scoring 6 points when they didn't actually do anything.

I think that it it is fair, if it was just 2 points, it wouldn't be that great, but generally you get 2 points and the offense then gets the ball in better than normal field position. I don't know how one would go about finding it, but I wonder what % of drives after a safety result in points, because that's probably the most accurate number for how many points a safety is worth.

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

It should be like the golden snitch in Harry Potter. You get 20 points and the game immediately ends. 

Actually, this is what the opposing team should get when players celebrate mundane stoppages down by three or more scores.

Archived