2022 Offensive Line

Refugee

We finally made it to the 53 and to my delight, we have plenty of goodies under the Oline tree with 10 to initiate the season. This is the unit that must be strong in the postseason and whose January weakness has arguably cost us a trip to the mountaintop the past two seasons.

Ladies and gents, your ‘22 Offensive Line:

David Bakhtiari,Jon Runyan Jr., Josh Myers, Royce Newman, Elgton Jenkins,Yosh Nijman, Jake Hanson, Sean Rhyan, Zach Tom, Rasheed Walker.

There is a lot to like here but we are not full strength. Our 2 all pros seem close but until they strap on the pads in anger, we will be guessing how good we can be. We have a lot of hope in our 2nd and 3rd year guys and some very green but very intriguing young guys that could surpass them quickly. If we can get the “right now” figured out, the future looks bright.

Let’s see how this group shapes up and who we get on the PS for development. Olinemen  take time to reach their potential and we have been developing some good ones. Let’s keep that going!

Edited by Refugee

8 hours ago, persiandud said:

what is the OL week 1? assuming ofc that Bahk and Jenk don't play 

I’m still hopeful we get one or both of 69 and 74 back. I like Tom as a prospect but don’t think they’ll throw a guy that green in at starting tackle week 1 in Min. Just look at the playoffs where they went with the seasoned vet over Nijman. Now, that might not have been the best move but it shows the line of thinking in the coaching staff. If both all pros can go, they will be the bookends. 

11 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I’m still hopeful we get one or both of 69 and 74 back. I like Tom as a prospect but don’t think they’ll throw a guy that green in at starting tackle week 1 in Min. Just look at the playoffs where they went with the seasoned vet over Nijman. Now, that might not have been the best move but it shows the line of thinking in the coaching staff. If both all pros can go, they will be the bookends. 

Don't think either guy will be ready for the opener.  MLF is keeping it pretty close to the vest on this one so who knows?  Thinking those guys won't be available until sometime in Oct.  Nijman, Runyan, Meyers, Newman, Tom should be the starting O-line.  If they go Hansen G Newman at OT not liking that at all.  Probably what they will do though.  Hate to second guess the staff but think that's a really bad idea.  Don't want Rodgers to get killed.  Z will play strong at least for a few games before his back gives out again.  So we'll have to deal with him near full strength on the opener.  Bad timing. 

That will be interesting when the injury report comes out next Wed-Fri to see the status of Jenkins and Bakh. Tonyan too. 

If Jenkins can't go, I too prefer Newman/Tom over Hanson/Newman. But I'm not sure the coaches do. They seem to like Hanson more than we do. 

Hanson has been given every chance this camp to show his improvement. I think he’s the weakest link but has shown some things contrary to some people’s impression that he is worthless. At the moment he is the backup center but a healthy Jenkins and getting Tom some snaps there might make that redundant. We’re not there yet so Hanson gets to prove if he’s got more to give or is just a stopgap. 

29 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Don't think either guy will be ready for the opener.  MLF is keeping it pretty close to the vest on this one so who knows?  Thinking those guys won't be available until sometime in Oct.  Nijman, Runyan, Meyers, Newman, Tom should be the starting O-line.  If they go Hansen G Newman at OT not liking that at all.  Probably what they will do though.  Hate to second guess the staff but think that's a really bad idea.  Don't want Rodgers to get killed.  Z will play strong at least for a few games before his back gives out again.  So we'll have to deal with him near full strength on the opener.  Bad timing. 

I don’t know, and you want guys to get contact reps before going live but both 69 and 74 are seasoned vets. I also don’t want to see that right side of Hanson, Newman but I’m still optimistic at least one of the heavies will be back. If they didn’t think they could get them til October why not just PUP them and keep some of the bubble guys like Jones or Heflin?

• Like 1

I have no idea, and am willing to defer to the coaches for RG/RT.  Many options:

1. Newman-Jenkins
  2. Hanson-Jenkins
  3. Hanson-Tom
  4. Newman-Tom
  5. Hanson-Newman
  6. Not even impossible that Jenkins would be at guard, with Newman or Tom at RT.  

Who knows?  If Jenkins is out, I don't know if RT will remain Newman (he's been #1 RT all camp to date), or if Tom might pass him during the time since KC.  And *IF* Jenkins (or Tom) do start at RT, I don't know if it's a given than Newman will necessarily start ahead of Hanson at RG either.  It will be really interesting.  

Nice to have a lot of anti-awful options.  

Pass is essential for the Packers, for sure.  But they also run a lot, and may want to run even more.  I'm not sure I've got a good grasp of how some of these different RG/RT combo's could fair in the run game.  Some I think might be really bad for run-blocking?

Jenkins, come back soon, please!

I think we found two guys who can start on the OL, if not for this year, for future years.  Tom for sure.  And Walker.  I thought he had "it" when he played.  Size, feet, hands...etc.  Rhyan as the wildcard.  Disappointed in camp, to me.  I thought he'd push for a starters spot.  Instead we have to consider Hanson as a pseudo starter and that isn't good right now.

If Rhyan hits in a year or two, this could be a great draft class for the future.  One that could allow us to re-sign Jenkins to a large deal and say our good bye's to Bakh.  After he wins a ring.

Going to be a work in progress this year with the injuries.  Rodgers can and will manage that.  Once it solidifies, it will be a good one.  Hopefully for the stretch run.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

...And Walker.  I thought he had "it" when he played.  Size, feet, hands...etc.  ...

Thanks for that scouting observation.  That's helpful and fun to hear. 

Those are physical traits.  I wonder how he'll score in the brains/recognition and motivation/drive areas?  I suspect some linemen get beat when they lose focus; or when their mental-diagnostics just aren't quick to diagnose what a defender is trying to do.  Or for reading stunts and blitzes; or defenders and angles in movement blocking?  And of course some just don't have the drive to both get and stay really strong and fit, or to study tape.  I'm kinda guessing Walker lasted in the draft because some scouts questioned some of those non-physical factors.  But, Green Bay could be a great place to get the best out of himself.  Hope he does!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, craig said:

I have no idea, and am willing to defer to the coaches for RG/RT.  Many options:

1. Newman-Jenkins
  2. Hanson-Jenkins
  3. Hanson-Tom
  4. Newman-Tom
  5. Hanson-Newman
  6. Not even impossible that Jenkins would be at guard, with Newman or Tom at RT.  ...

Rodgers was asked about opening starting lineup.  Said if Jenkins is back, the only question is RG.  If not, they'd go with the same lineup they've used all camp.  

That takes Tom-as-starter scenarios off the table.  

When Jenkins gets back, sounds like Hanson versus Newman at RG is undetermined.  

Many have wanted to cut Hanson, but sounds like he's got at least a shot to start, even if Bakhti and Jenkins are both back.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craig said:

Rodgers was asked about opening starting lineup.  Said if Jenkins is back, the only question is RG.  If not, they'd go with the same lineup they've used all camp.  

That takes Tom-as-starter scenarios off the table.  

When Jenkins gets back, sounds like Hanson versus Newman at RG is undetermined.  

Many have wanted to cut Hanson, but sounds like he's got at least a shot to start, even if Bakhti and Jenkins are both back.  

Dear god no. Right now with everyone healthy, I think Yosh is our second best OT. Also think Newman is much better at OG than OT. Last, I think Tom at OT or even Walker is better than Hansen at OG. 

• Like 1