2022 Offensive Line

Refugee

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Yet somehow Tom came in and played well. So maybe, it wasn't the Turner release, it was playing your best 5. Which has always been the mantra around GB. Hanson isn't in the top 11 so there is that. Newman was serviceable at guard last year so there is also that. Tom is a natural at tackle. Heck, even Walker looked good at RT in preseason. 

Saying Tom played well means you didn't watch him too closely.  He in fact, did not play well.  The absolute best I can tell you about Tom is that he survived.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

So.  Looks like the front office may have messed up with that whole Turner release.  And if that wasn't the mistake, then the mistake was in not picking a vet OT in the offseason.

Newman was a mess at RT....and Hanson was hot garbage next to him.

Yikes.

Turner isn't playing either. He's hurt.

Which was his major concern at this point in his career. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Saying Tom played well means you didn't watch him too closely.  He in fact, did not play well.  The absolute best I can tell you about Tom is that he survived.

MLF's direct quote, "I thought Josh Myers had a pretty solid game, but everybody else there were some moments of good, and some moments of not so good."

When both of a team's starting OTs are out and they are your best O-Linemen, a team is going to struggle some. It's a given. In the end the OL didn't keep them from winning the game. Run blocking was pretty good most of the day, so that was a plus. Gave up 4 sacks on the day and Rodgers said two of them were on him. Things will tighten up with the return of Jenkins and hopefully Bakh. Not as dire as some are making it out to be.   

2 minutes ago, R T said:

MLF's direct quote, "I thought Josh Myers had a pretty solid game, but everybody else there were some moments of good, and some moments of not so good."

When both of a team's starting OTs are out and they are your best O-Linemen, a team is going to struggle some. It's a given. In the end the OL didn't keep them from winning the game. Run blocking was pretty good most of the day, so that was a plus. Gave up 4 sacks on the day and Rodgers said two of them were on him. Things will tighten up with the return of Jenkins and hopefully Bakh. Not as dire as some are making it out to be.   

AR said a couple were on him? Okay. I will legit not say one bad word about him next game in the GDT. Don't let me down Aaron. 

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

AR said a couple were on him? Okay. I will legit not say one bad word about him next game in the GDT. Don't let me down Aaron. 

The sack/fumble he said he had a chance to just throw it away and that was on him. His other comment was something like, 'a couple of those sacks were probably on me'. More ownership than we are used to hearing.  

Just now, R T said:

The sack/fumble he said he had a chance to just throw it away and that was on him. His other comment was something like, 'a couple of those sacks were probably on me'. More ownership than we are used to hearing.  

For sure. Yeah protection sucked but that should not have been a surprise either.

Maybe it's copium but I'm feeling better about that game the more I think about it. We lost by ******* 35 last year week one. 

Weird stuff happens week one. And we are short the OTs and Lazard, on the road, against a big rival, etc

2 hours ago, R T said:

...When both of a team's starting OTs are out and they are your best O-Linemen, a team is going to struggle some. It's a given. In the end the OL didn't keep them from winning the game. Run blocking was pretty good most of the day, so that was a plus. Gave up 4 sacks on the day and Rodgers said two of them were on him. Things will tighten up with the return of Jenkins and hopefully Bakh. Not as dire as some are making it out to be.   

RT, you kinda make two different claims.  I agree with the first but not the second.  One is that it's a given that your OL may struggle with the best two guys out. I fully agree.  I expected we'd probably get beat if both guys were out.  *If* hypothetically both guys are able to return and are able to play somewhat near their former excellent level, the line play could be way better, and the offense could have a realistic chance to be competitive. 

I don't agree with your second claim, the "the OL didn't keep them from winning".  I thought the OL was the largest contributing reason to why they lost.  They provided little push in the run game.  They provided inconsistent protection in the pass game, pressure was coming from all sides.  The contrast between the predominantly clean, comfortable pocket with time that Cousins experienced; versus the predominantly deforming pocket with pressure that Rodgers experienced seemed stark and obvious to me.  As usual, the pressure concerns lead to keeping backs and TE's in to help.  

Jenkins and Bakhti, please come back.  I think the offense could have a lot of struggling games like yesterday if not.  

11 minutes ago, craig said:

RT, you kinda make two different claims.  I agree with the first but not the second.  One is that it's a given that your OL may struggle with the best two guys out. I fully agree.  I expected we'd probably get beat if both guys were out.  *If* hypothetically both guys are able to return and are able to play somewhat near their former excellent level, the line play could be way better, and the offense could have a realistic chance to be competitive. 

I don't agree with your second claim, the "the OL didn't keep them from winning".  I thought the OL was the largest contributing reason to why they lost.  They provided little push in the run game.  They provided inconsistent protection in the pass game, pressure was coming from all sides.  The contrast between the predominantly clean, comfortable pocket with time that Cousins experienced; versus the predominantly deforming pocket with pressure that Rodgers experienced seemed stark and obvious to me.  As usual, the pressure concerns lead to keeping backs and TE's in to help.  

Jenkins and Bakhti, please come back.  I think the offense could have a lot of struggling games like yesterday if not.  

Well, they averaged 6.2 yards a rushing attempt that doesn't happen without a little push from the OL. And yes, the protection was inconsistent, that should have been expected by all of us with a makeshift line going against a defense they had zero game tape on. Still don't think they kept them from winning, if the defense keeps it a one score game the offense is allowed to play to this fives strengths and run the ball more. Being one dimensional against the Vikings pass rush was probably never going to end well regardless of who was playing.       

8 minutes ago, R T said:

Well, they averaged 6.2 yards a rushing attempt that doesn't happen without a little push from the OL. And yes, the protection was inconsistent, that should have been expected by all of us with a makeshift line going against a defense they had zero game tape on. Still don't think they kept them from winning, if the defense keeps it a one score game the offense is allowed to play to this fives strengths and run the ball more. Being one dimensional against the Vikings pass rush was probably never going to end well regardless of who was playing.       

GB rushed 10 for 32 in the first half.  Most of the yards gained were 2nd half and possibly against light boxes.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I tried to watch for him but was lost watching the rest of the carnage. I so believe he can develop but he’s a rook and I hoped he wouldn’t have to go. JRJ going down meant he was filling in on the opposite side that he had been prepping for. I hope the return of our heavies kicks him back to the bench but then he starts improving so much he forces his way into the line up. 

23 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB rushed 10 for 32 in the first half.  Most of the yards gained were 2nd half and possibly against light boxes.  

Or they were wearing them down. Power run games will almost always average more yards per attempt as the game goes on.