The role of scheme

skibrett15

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I also believe in the concept of talent wins on defense, scheme wins on offense

Feels to me like GB has tried to add talent on D, but seems to want to win more with scheme on that side and uses more isolation routes and win with talent on O.

On 11/16/2017 at 2:06 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

I want a scheme where the only thing that matters is execution so players aren't left scratching their heads when something goes wrong.  I'll always want this for as long as we are a draft and develop team.  Until we have a group of 11 defensive starters in which more than one player has ever played for a different team, I don't want a challenging or confusing or complicated or complex defense. 

I feel like Kevin King, Damarious Randall, Rollins, Clinton-Dix and Josh Jones have all struggled because of Dom Capers and his scheme in one or more ways. 

Agreed.  With amount of draft capital we've spent on defense - high picks since 2012 - our defense should be performing better than it has.  Is it because of who Ted is drafting or the DC?  I'm gonna say it is the DC.  Ted's offensive players, even those taken in later rounds, seem to perform at a high level compared to the other side of the ball.

On 11/16/2017 at 12:51 PM, Packerraymond said:

Our scheme allows instinctive slot CBs, Woodson, Hayward (hopefully Randall) to become high INT players.

Our DL and OLBs are pretty standard for a 3-4, albeit the zone blitz aspect gives them the chance of dropping into some weird coverages (BJ Raji, Johnny Jolly INTs).

Safeties are kind of interchangeable. 

Dom uses talent differently, Des Bishop played ILB different from AJ Hawk and Nick Collins differently from HHCD, etc. 

I'm a firm believer in our scheme, think we could use a new voice calling it, but I have no real desire to stop being a zone blitz 3-4 team.

Capers scheme stinks because he doesm't have the personnel to play a scheme that aviods giving up huge passing yards and big plays. I will repeat once more - scheme is dependent on that front 7 and the Packers have some significant personnel problems in the front 7. 

Archived