Russ signs 5-year, $245M contract

AnAngryAmerican

Seems like a relatively good deal compared to having to pay someone like Kyler Murray or Aaron Rogers who put up really great stats, but haven't done much else.  I know Rogers has the one Super Bowl, Russ has one and has been to another...in the end, Russ seems way more productive at a cheaper price. Thank you Walmart...and thank you Chuck Norris. 

• Like 1

It’s a 7-year commitment from the Broncos as this new deal doesn’t overlap his current one we absorbed in the trade, but rather extends it.

It’s actually less than he could have conceivably got, and keeps the team with enough money to spread around to keep us competitive for the duration of the deal. When the nearly $50m AAV kicks in the 2024 season, it’s likely the cap is around $250M+ (It’s $208m this year) when the new TV money kicks it. 

It’s also good to see from Troy’s report that Greg Penner jumped in and worked with Paton to get this deal done before the season. It was a priority for the new ownership group, that’s good news for the organization. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Weird how we are the only fan base that doesn't think he's "washed."

Why would people think he's washed though? After recovering from that finger injury he was still at a 3-1 touchdown to interception ratio and still completing over 60% passes. Ya maybe he's not top3 anymore but he's inarguably still top10 with what we know. So much of this new contract is non-guaranteed money which gives our team flexibility to still make big moves (not that it matters financially since George loves drafting and developing). Even if this deal doesn't turn out, it was still the right move to make at the time and shows big in terms of turning the culture around here and paying players appropriately to their value.

More small details to come, but with 2/51M untouched, this means that Wilson's guaranteed deal is 5 years / 216M (with 7/296 - the last 2 years in theory aren't guaranteed).

The new cap realities allow this to work for 3 reasons:, but 

1.  As mentioned many times before the new TV and streaming revenues are going to drive up the cap in a massive way.    Likely to be way over 250M by 2024 and reports as high as 300M by 2026.   Insane I know.  

2.  More importantly the new cap contract rules allow contender teams to extend the cap management window by 3-4 years with voidable year extensions.  To be clear - before Tampa did this with TB12 you had to eat all the money you committed to in a 5-year deal over a 5-year period.   Restructures could only do so much then. Now the Broncos can do a restructure in 2024, 2025, 2026 (whenever they want to) add 4 more voidable years and push the same money down the line 3-4 more future years.  

3.  Now the above doesn’t eliminate the bill.  The dead cap hit eventually comes due.  But the ability to push a 2024 bill to say 2026 or 2027, or a 2026 restructure to 2028-29 - you time it to when the team’s contention window has finally ended.    Then you eat a ton of dead money in that rebuilding year - which is the time cap space issues aren’t felt.  And you can start again the year after.

Before 2020 teams had only a 2-3 year window to extend “cap h.ell”.   Being able to create a 6-7 year window pretty much means teams can time the “pay the butchers bill” to when they aren’t serious contenders.   And during that windows a 2017-Saints draft can extend the window further too.    Yo say cap management is nothing like what Elway had to deal with in our contender years is a massive understatement.  

There’s a reason why teams investing in QB heavily are more successful since TAM / TB12 2020 contract was allowed.   LAR bring able to push the cap back allowed them to have 45M out of 183M to Goff / Stafford and still win.   We’re just going to see more of this - and why teams were trying to extend guys to sub 40M deals this last offseason.    The bar for top QB salaries is staying above 40M going forward.     This top 5 list is misleading because the guaranteed is really what matters - but the bar's still going to be well over 40M AAV there, by 2024 I suspect 42M won't even be considered top 6-7 QB $. 

Now there’s one key catch - the above is only worth it if the QB is in that elite “I can win games on my own in January”.  Stafford level or better.    I see Wilson staying there barring injury so that’s key.  As long as that’s the case (Wilson stays as a playoff game difference-making QB)  with the new cap flexibility and forecast increases it’s all good here. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

According to Andrew Brandt, there’s a $50M signing bonus, and a $20M guaranteed roster bonus in March ‘23. Based on the numbers I’ve seen reported around twitter, Russ will get $124M in cash over the next 3 seasons, while only counting as a combined $74.4M in cap hit. If the cap really does balloon like predicted after 2024, those future $45-50M cap hits will be very manageable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

According to Andrew Brandt, there’s a $50M signing bonus, and a $20M guaranteed roster bonus in March ‘23. Based on the numbers I’ve seen reported around twitter, Russ will get $124M in cash over the next 3 seasons, while only counting as a combined $74.4M in cap hit. If the cap really does balloon like predicted after 2024, those future $45-50M cap hits will be very manageable. 

BTW this really shows the benefit of having deep pockets in ownership.  77M is being paid out by next March.    As much as I'm not a fan of Walmart, have to acknowedge Walton & co.'s deep pockets helps out here.