Utah Jazz Trade Guard Donovan Mitchell to the Cleveland Cavaliers

J-ALL-DAY

Where does this move put the Cavs in the East? Legitimate title contenders or just a really good team that will still be behind the top dogs? 

I like it, they just need to improve on their wing depth and this team can compete IMO.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

Just now, Herbie_Hancock said:

Contenders 

Agreed, they have some nice bench pieces but Okoro is going to have to take a leap. Mobley/Allen will still keep the defense formidable even with the backcourt they have and offensively they will be unstoppable. Love this trade for the Cavs. 

Cavs will be scratching and clawing for the 4th or 5th seed in the conference at absolute best. They're not contenders. They're nowhere near as good as the Bucks, who are the best team in the conference. This move puts Cleveland more in line with teams like the Raptors than it does the Bucks.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

Utah out here robbing folks left and right. GM should have been put in prison after robbing Minnesota in the Gobert trade. Now he strikes again and does it to the Cavs. Wild stuff.

The Jazz did solid but this is far from a robbery. Stop it lol.

• Like 8

Cavs will be scratching and clawing for the 4th or 5th seed in the conference at absolute best. They're not contenders. They're nowhere near as good as the Bucks, who are the best team in the conference. This move puts Cleveland more in line with teams like the Raptors than it does the Bucks.

Right, so you don't expect Mobley to get better? That man has a chance to be a superstar and you pair that with the backcourt they have? The Cavs can absolutely compete in the next few years. Should they have never gone for it and just kept their picks and hope they land a star player in the 20s? What was the probability of that happening? 

• Like 5

Hahahahaha. I mean. I don't even know what to say to this level of delusion.

And that's not to say the Cavs won the deal. I think that's an overpay for Mitchell for sure. But they're at the tier of that Brooklyn/Milwaukee/Boston/Philly group for sure.

A win-win overall, but I like the trade more for Utah considering where they are with their roster. Cleveland is young and had the assets to make a move like this without crippling the future, so a solid trade for them. An elite top 4 that all fit well together.

I do wonder if just paying Sexton that contract and maintaining the course would have been the better play. He put up very Mitchell-esque numbers in 2020-21 and after the All-Star break in 2020 and is much cheaper. I'm not saying he's as good as Mitchell, but he showed that potential over a pretty big sample. He did start last season pretty poorly, though, so hard to know.

Overall I'd give a B/B+ to Cleveland and an A for Utah.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 1