Utah Jazz Trade Guard Donovan Mitchell to the Cleveland Cavaliers

J-ALL-DAY

50 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Sounds like Ainge did it to spite Mitchell more than the Knicks. 

"FINE, see how you like living in Cleveland!"

The Knicks final offer was terrible and the Cavaliers offered Sexton (who we were linked to all offseason), Agbaj (basically another lottery pick), Lauri, and complete control over their draft for 5 years with 3 unprotected picks and 2 swaps. The Knicks gave the Jazz a Monday deadline and the Cavaliers reengaged conversations on Tuesday. 

Either way we turned Gobert, Royce, and Donovan into...

Picks: HOU/PHI/BRK 2023 1st, MIN 2023/2025/2027 1sts (unprotected), MIN 2029 1st (Top 5 protected), 2026/2028 swaps (MIN), CLE 2025/2027/2029 1sts (unprotected), 2026/2028 swaps (CLE)

Players: Walker Kessler, Malik Beasley, Leandro Bolmaro, Jarred Vanderbilt, Stanley Johnson, Talen Horton-Tucker, Collin Sexton, Lauri Markanen, Ochai Agbaji 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

complete control over their draft for 5 years with 3 unprotected picks and 2 swaps

That's a much rosier view than what I think reality will be.  Three picks in the 20's, possibly late 20's, mostly several years from now and the ability to swap picks which they almost certainly will not.

I'll give you preferring Sexton, but they are also going to have to pay him if they want to keep him

Mitchell always seemed like a weird fit for Cleveland considering their concerns on a similar high scoring short 2 guard with poor defense, and just general questions about Garland and Mitchell both needing the ball. But figuring that out is the coach's job. Definitely worth finding out how it looks.

46 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Mitchell always seemed like a weird fit for Cleveland considering their concerns on a similar high scoring short 2 guard with poor defense, and just general questions about Garland and Mitchell both needing the ball. But figuring that out is the coach's job. Definitely worth finding out how it looks.

Mitchell is a little stretched as a dominant playmaker, plus he played well with Conley. He and Garland are both very good shooters too, so I think it's a more seamless fit than Trae and Murray on offense.

Everyone knows that he's underachiever on defense, but Mobley/Allen/Okoro should be more than enough.

• Like 1

Am I the only one disappointed that Mitchell didn't get a chance to go to a team where he could be the lead point guard, e.g. the Wizards? Not a fan of the 6'0'' backcourt between him and Garland, but the Cavs overall are still a very good and deep team from 1-10. Not quite sure where this places them in the Eastern hierarchy, but I think it's fair to say anything short of a 1st round win this year would be a disappointment for this team.

Also really excited to see what the Jazz do with all their assets, obviously a lot more veteran pieces they can ship out in trades, but they're going to be in a very good position over the next decade to really make a move for a disgruntled superstar or hit on a star player in the draft.

I could easily be wrong but I think I heard people in the media say you can only have 1 player on your roster that’s on a rookie super max contract. That’s why if Brooklyn wanted Mitchell, Ben Simmons would of had to of been apart of the deal. I could be miss remembering but I remember Skip and Shannon talking about this last week.

Take it with a grain of salt as I only just started to try and get into basketball.  

17 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yes. But Mitchell will probably get an extension before then. 

the 21 class won't sign their extensions until after the new cba is in place so this may change but under the current cba this doesn't actually matter. it counts as on the books for 6 years after it's signed. so they essentially already capped mobley's next contract

11 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

What about a pick swap instead of the 2029 1st?

Still probably a hard pass.  I've got Bogey as worth a protected FRP.  Beasley and NAW as neutral value, so I'd take them into my cap space without needing to be incentivized to do so.  Westbrook despite being a massive contract is still an expiring contract, so I'm not giving up any kind of unprotected FRP for a collection of role players.

2 hours ago, catcheryea said:

you can only have two players on the designated rookie extension at a time even if you draft both of them

From Larry Coon (who I consider the premier NBA CBA expert that isn't one of the talking heads):

"There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie may have been acquired from another team in a trade."

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

40 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I could easily be wrong but I think I heard people in the media say you can only have 1 player on your roster that’s on a rookie super max contract. That’s why if Brooklyn wanted Mitchell, Ben Simmons would of had to of been apart of the deal. I could be miss remembering but I remember Skip and Shannon talking about this last week.

Take it with a grain of salt as I only just started to try and get into basketball.  

Since Brooklyn acquired Ben Simmons as part of the James Harden trade, the Nets weren't eligible to received Donovan Mitchell.  Any Mitchell-to-Brooklyn deal would have to have Ben Simmons being dealt to another team.