Jarvis Landry Domestic Violence Video Released

RuskieTitan

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Domestic violence is domestic violence, stop trying to create shades of gray.

9_9 I'm not creating anything, the shades already exist in the real world if not necessarily in the legal system; if you want to live in a world where Ray Rice's actions, Landry's actions, Zeke's actions, Brown's actions are all perfectly equivalent, then you are free to do so, you certainly won't be alone. Either way your and my opinion on this are largely irrelevant to the thread.

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Don't know how you can say that with a straight face after witnessing the lengths to which the league was willing to go with Zeke recently

I understand this point but I would be so flabbergasted to see the NFL make literally the same mistake again, especially given the fact that this video has thus far flown under the radar relative to the other incidents they've dealt with in the past. 

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I can flat out guarantee you that there are individual owners/GM's/franchises that have already made it clear within their internal structures that they're not touching him

This is another issue entirely and I agree this will have an impact on Landry's valuation as judged by at least some teams.

23 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

What? You aren't really going to tell me you view this and the Ray Rice incident as the same thing, right?

I see them as much of the same. Domestic violence isn't a grey matter; it's black and white. It also isn't something that just happens once in a mild manner. Despite what we are shown here in this video, concerning the happenings of what appears to be one situation, and regardless of the form portrayed, it often indicates a behavioral pattern that isn't confined to a single incident.

9 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

What? You aren't really going to tell me you view this and the Ray Rice incident as the same thing, right?

I hate to speak for someone else, but I think he just meant that all domestic violence, in any form, is reprehensible and should never be condoned or minimized.  I could see where someone could take a few of the posts in here as an attempt to minimize Landry's acts.  At least that is my take, to which I agree.  Just because Landry didn't beat his significant other unconscious doesn't mean he didn't commit an act of domestic violence.  

Just now, hrubes20 said:

I hate to speak for someone else, but I think he just meant that all domestic violence, in any form, is reprehensible and should never be condoned or minimized.  I could see where someone could take a few of the posts in here as an attempt to minimize Landry's acts.  At least that is my take, to which I agree.  Just because Landry didn't beat his significant other unconscious doesn't mean he didn't commit an act of domestic violence.  

Oh yeah, not saying it's not, but to say there are no shades of gray, and domestic violence is domestic violence is just plain wrong. What Landry did in that video was very minimal compared to something actually violent.

23 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Driving while drunk from 5 beers or driving while drunk from 25 beers is varying amounts of beers consumed, but in the end both are still driving while drunk.

2 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Driving while drunk from 5 beers or driving while drunk from 25 beers is varying amounts of beers consumed, but in the end both are still driving while drunk.

And one of them is much more likely to end badly than the other.

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

So many variables in this statement I don't even know where to start.

17 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Oh yeah, not saying it's not, but to say there are no shades of gray, and domestic violence is domestic violence is just plain wrong. What Landry did in that video was very minimal compared to something actually violent.

Good luck explaining the nuances of such a situation to the victim, or one that involves children and/or DCS. The victim and children involved are affected much of the same no matter the degree of the instance. Also, as I noted earlier, rarely is such behavior an isolated incidence.

May I interject a point of view that the victim involved was a sibling, or offspring. How then would you respond?

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

So many variables in this statement I don't even know where to start.

You don't need to start. Driving drunk is driving drunk. Domestic violence is domestic violence.

If you are willing to do that in public, how can you know what goes on behind closed doors with no cameras around?

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

What if the first happens daily to Person A and the second happened once in Person B's lifetime?

Lol, well if the first happens daily to someone, their tolerance is going to be a lot higher than 5 beers.  I can drink 5 beers and pass a breathalyzer, and I stopped drinking and partying years ago.

But assuming someone is drunk form 5 beers and drives every day, then yea that's going to end in a wreck.  If that same person with that kind of tolerance drinks 25 and drives, they're either going to jail or the graveyard.

6 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Lol, well if the first happens daily to someone, their tolerance is going to be a lot higher than 5 beers.  I can drink 5 beers and pass a breathalyzer, and I stopped drinking and partying years ago.

But assuming someone is drunk form 5 beers and drives every day, then yea that's going to end in a wreck.  If that same person with that kind of tolerance drinks 25 and drives, they're either going to jail or the graveyard.

Tolerance is irrelevant. Blood alcohol content is what matters. For a 180 lb man his BAC after 1 hour is .084%, which is over the legal limit of .08.

If he downs his 5 beers and immediately sets out to drive, he's going to be driving drunk.

You want to keep adjusting for tolerance, other factors. I simply picked 5 and 25 as an example. You may use any number you wish, but the point is breaking the law by 1% is still breaking the law.

http://www.moderation.org/bac/bac-men.html

Archived